PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for a reasonably priced 6" Floor Sweep

Joel Albert
01-27-2011, 8:14 PM
All,

Like many, I am also working on my dust collection system. I am looking for a 6" Floor Sweep that won't cost me an arm and a leg (the Grizzley one is $150!).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

If I don't have a good alternative, I will go with a 4" run (from my 6" main) and the Floor Sweep from Rockler (also would be interested in other suggestions).

Thanks

Joel

Thomas Bank
01-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Jet has a "floor sweep" for about $8. It doesn't have the trap door that the Grizzly model has, but Jet has a blast gate for about $4 that would do the trick.

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I use a standard 6 inch 90 degree floor boot, probably about $6 at any HVAC supplier.............Rod

David Hostetler
01-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Why not make one? I am in the process of making one for my 4" line...

Todd Kinsfather
01-28-2011, 1:59 AM
Find a 90 degree HVAC vent boot with the appropriae diameter pipe hookup for your drop. Put "hardware cloth" over the front of it and it should be durable and = less than $20

james glenn
01-28-2011, 4:22 AM
Find a 90 degree HVAC vent boot with the appropriae diameter pipe hookup for your drop. Put "hardware cloth" over the front of it and it should be durable and = less than $20

What exactly is 'hardware cloth", I have never heard of it? Just curious.

William Long
01-28-2011, 8:15 AM
I too wanted a good solid floor sweep but didn't want to spend $100+ on it. All my ducting came from Spiral Manufacturing. They have a real nice solid floor sweep for about $65; however, it doesn't come with a door so you'll need a blast gate in-line.

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2011, 8:29 AM
Wire mesh with a large opening, in the 1/2" square or larger size...........Rod.

Eric DeSilva
01-28-2011, 8:29 AM
+1

I just pocket-holed some 2" strips of plywood to a plywood top that I'd put a 6" hole in. I then screwed half of a blast gate to the 6" hole and voila, floor sweep...

Gerald Senburn
01-28-2011, 8:33 AM
I just ran a duct down to about two inches above the floor, no elbow or anything. Works great and nothing can get behind it :)

glenn bradley
01-28-2011, 8:43 AM
The other side of the coin; I removed mine as I found by the time I had swept everything over there, it wasn't that much more effort to push it into a dust pan. I just sweep everything toward the trash can instead of toward the place where the sweep was. The cleared floor/wall space made more room for my compressor.

George Bregar
01-28-2011, 9:12 AM
Is it just me that sees the contradiction of going to uber lengths in dust collection and then use a broom on a floor? I would think rather than sweeping the dust to a collection point bring a collection point to the dust...have ports and vacuum attachments.

Gerald Senburn
01-28-2011, 9:19 AM
Well, that's why I have four of them. Plus they suck in the fine dust raised by the sweeping itself instead of it drifting back all over everything.

Rick Moyer
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
The other side of the coin; I removed mine as I found by the time I had swept everything over there, it wasn't that much more effort to push it into a dust pan. I just sweep everything toward the trash can instead of toward the place where the sweep was. The cleared floor/wall space made more room for my compressor.
I didn't put a floor sweep in my set up because I was concerned that I'd suck something into the cyclone I didn't want there.

Todd Kinsfather
01-29-2011, 1:16 AM
I didn't put a floor sweep in my set up because I was concerned that I'd suck something into the cyclone I didn't want there.
That's the point of hardware cloth or square mesh/screen. You can buy it in as fine an opening size as makes sense for you. I jsut sweep the pile by he sweep and the big chunks that don't go through I just pile next to it for when I have time to get them in garbage.

Rick Moyer
01-29-2011, 8:45 AM
That's the point of hardware cloth or square mesh/screen. You can buy it in as fine an opening size as makes sense for you. I jsut sweep the pile by he sweep and the big chunks that don't go through I just pile next to it for when I have time to get them in garbage.
I understand that, but what about finish nails, or brads, etc. As Glenn said, once you sweep over to it you may as well use a dust pan. For me, I'd rather have the piece of mind. To each their own.

Ken Deckelman
01-29-2011, 8:51 AM
Here is a picture of mine, it's just a $5 4x10x6 register boot from Home Cheapot.

Aaron Montgomery
01-29-2011, 1:28 PM
I really like my floor sweep. It's home made out of wood, but I use it for all of the chips and dust I can't easily collect with my duct work. That includes activities like hand routing and hand tools (planes, scrapers, etc). One of my favorite uses of the floor sweep is to tap out my shop vac filter. It works great! Now armed with a cyclone, I'm less concerned about sucking up nails or other metal objects that could potentially cause a fire. YMMV