PDA

View Full Version : Anchorseal problems

William Bachtel
01-27-2011, 6:40 PM
Last year Anchorseal changed some of its product. The new formula does not seal as good as the old formula. I have been using this product for many years and had no problem, they sent me the new formula and I started having many cracks showing up on all the sealed bowls, called the guy today, and he was aware of the problem, and sent me new (the old formula). Has anyone had a problem like this other than myself. I wood order the old formula, until these problems are resolved.

Dan Hintz
01-27-2011, 6:53 PM
How can you tell the difference (picture on can, ingredient list change, etc.) between old and new?

William Bachtel
01-27-2011, 7:05 PM
l 888 end coat is their phone number, I wood just order the old formula. Can't remember what he called the old formula, but when it comes in, I will post here. New formula was changed because of the petroleum cost. I can tell you that the new formula soaks in deep and doesn't really( "end coat" ) coat the ends like its suppose to.

Stephen Walker
01-27-2011, 8:19 PM
How can you tell the difference (picture on can, ingredient list change, etc.) between old and new?

Dan,
I'm pretty sure (without wading through the snow,to the barn) that the new stuff is labeled Anchorseal II.

Steve

Gary Max
01-27-2011, 8:23 PM
Thanks for this post ---- I am getting ready to order 5 gallons. I will make sure I ask for the orginal.

Donny Lawson
01-27-2011, 8:26 PM
To me it seems like the new stuff is a little more watery or something. I have also noticed the new doesn't work as good unless you add more coats. To me more coats is more money.
Donny

Ryan Baker
01-27-2011, 8:30 PM
Yeah, the new stuff is Anchorseal 2. You can't buy the original stuff in stores any more (at least where I am). Maybe they still sell original direct, but probably not much longer. Multiple coats might be a short-term solution.

Jerry Marcantel
01-27-2011, 9:06 PM
I've used 2 gallons of AS 2 since last summer, and still had cracks. .... .. Sealed some of the ends twice, and still had small cracks. Chalked it up to low humidity and extreme tempuratures.... Hmmm....... Jerry (in Tucson)

John King
01-27-2011, 9:25 PM
There's Anchorseal 2 Hybrid End Sealer - The Next Generation of ANCHORSEAL and Anchorseal Green Wood Sealer - The Classic Formulation - Available by Special Request.

All your questions can be answered at http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/Anchorseal. - John

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2011, 9:53 PM
Funny this post should come up today as I noticed the same thing on some cherry bowls I roughed turned. I coat my bowls with anchorseal and sit them aside to dry. I did 5 cherry bowls with the original and ran out so order anchorseal 2. The 3 cherry bowls I coated with the new anchorseal 2 have cracks in them but the bowls with the original do not have any cracks. All from the same log. When I applied the new stuff it appeared rather thin. So on the two cherry I roughed out yesterday I put 2 coats on to see if that won't do the trick. Like someone said that is just added cost. I was going to call them next week but may do that tomorrow.

Bill Blasic
01-28-2011, 7:53 AM
Our club has gone through a 55 gallon barrel with no complaints of the new formula. It has been working fine for me.
Bill

William Bachtel
01-28-2011, 9:10 AM
Bernie I have coated bowls with 2 coats (heavy coats) and still had cracks with the new formula. If they don't get this straighten out its going to hurt business for sure. No one wants to lose bowls after spenting all that time on ruff turning them.

William Bachtel
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
When you order your archorseal, ask for the classic archorseal, that is the orginal archorseal. Dave from Archorseal was really great in taking care of my problem, and replaced all the new formual that I had with the Classic or orginial. If anyone has any problems please call 1-888-end coat. Talk to Dave, great company that ran into a problem and is making it right.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks William. I will give Dave a call today.

Steve Harder
01-28-2011, 3:49 PM
I spoke with Dave at UCCoatings today. They recommend that turners order Classic. They have heard of problems from some turners using AnchorII. He is sending me Classic to replace the AnchorII I had purchased. He said their website and phone orders would inquire as to usage and suggest Classic for woodturning.

He said their customers in the lumber industry have been very happy with AnchorII. But they understood the amount of time and work that goes into each turning - and they want turner's to have a satisfactory experience using their product - Classic has worked well in the past and there is no reason for turners to change to II. Classic will continue to be available in 1,5,55gals.

EXCELLENT customer service!