PDA

View Full Version : How much honing compound is enough? Worksharp example

William Long
01-27-2011, 6:27 PM
So, I've got a Worksharp sharping system and have both the leather and felt wheels for honing. I've used stationary leather strops in the past but a power one is a new beast for me. My question is how much is enough? I initially "loaded" my leather wheel with the green compound but when I stop the machine the "load" is very uneven (see picture). For honing we are talking about a very small amount of metal removal and it seems like these hills and valleys of compound will effect the outcome. Any suggestions are welcome, including "you're doing it right" :).

John Coloccia
01-27-2011, 7:01 PM
I seems to work much like the Tormek leather. At first, I used a lot and really got it loaded up. Now, it's nice and gooey, and I hardly use any at all. What are your results, by the way? If your tools are sharp, you're doing it right! :)

Erik France
01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't know if it's right or wrong, but my leather wheel looks just like yours when first loaded. I've got a few grooves from errantly digging plane iron corners into it too. As long as the fine mirror sheen shows up on your tools easily, you've got enough.