PDA

View Full Version : Inspired Turkey pot...

Russell Eaton
01-27-2011, 5:55 PM
I have been seeing Ken post his pots, and thought that I would try a few more. Here is the latest. It is Walnut with just a quick friction polish. I have a few days off so I will make a few more over the next few days. I didn't get the hole in the dead center I will next time. I am going to donate this one to a friend. It is glass over slate. I know it isn't even close to ANYTHING Ken post, but I am having fun. Thanks for looking. Russell P.S. thanks Ken for the tips.

Ken Hill
01-27-2011, 6:01 PM
What chucks do you have Russell

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2011, 6:03 PM
Really a nice looking call. Your friend will love it I am sure.

Russell Eaton
01-27-2011, 6:08 PM
first is a nova with the tommy bars, second is a Oneway Talon and Stronghold. I have a flat jaws for the talon and pen chucks for both Oneway's. When I got through I thought about using my drill chuck in the tailstock to drill the center hole. A little late.

John Keeton
01-27-2011, 6:11 PM
Russell, you did a pretty good job on this one! On the pic, instead of a deer hide, throw in some turkey feathers, and instead of those low brass shells, toss in a couple of magnum turkey loads!! That'll get all us turkey hunters all fired up and it will look twice as good!:D

Tim Thiebaut
01-27-2011, 6:15 PM
Very nice Russel, I have some parts on order, hopefully be here next week, so that I can give this a shot as well, keep up the good work. Oh, and did you find any part challenging or more difficult then you expected, if so please let me know so maybe I can avoid those issues if there were any.

Baxter Smith
01-27-2011, 6:16 PM
Looks good to me!

Russell Eaton
01-27-2011, 6:21 PM
Tim I just turn the bottom and sides, then drill the holes and hollow it with a parting tool. I like to have the holes in first so you have a reference how thin you are. This is the most shallow one I have done so far. Less than 7/8". I want to go a little thinner next time.

Ken Hill
01-27-2011, 6:32 PM
Ok, you kind of answered your own question about the chuck and that center hole!

Do you have a bottlestopper chuck?

Russell Eaton
01-27-2011, 6:45 PM
Ken I do have a bottlestopper chuck. Not real sure where you are headed. By the way what size holes do you drill in the bottom of your calls.

Ken Hill
01-27-2011, 6:49 PM
I use a bottle stopper chuck to turn my calls. I only switch to a 4 jaw with pin jaws to clean up the center hole

Usually around 3/8s on the holes

Tim Thiebaut
01-27-2011, 8:08 PM
I have never even heard of a bottle stopper chuck, oh well something else to buy...

Lupe Duncan
01-27-2011, 8:47 PM
Nice work Russell.

I have several of them Turkeys pass thru my yard in the evenings and mornings.

Question about "How to call them", Do you just " scratch the "rod/Striker" across the back black "slate" Im guessing? The sound reverberates in the chaimber and is "amplified" out the holes???

Sorry Im not a hunter, but wild turkey does sound good.....

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Good looking call! How in the world did you get that deer to stay still long enough to take 2 photos?

Carol Kinney
01-28-2011, 6:23 AM
LOL - I like that Steve LOL!

Very nice looking call Russell. I'm writing down all the advice cause now you all have me wanting to make one!

Russell Eaton
01-28-2011, 7:34 AM
Good looking call! How in the world did you get that deer to stay still long enough to take 2 photos?Well it's. Like this Steve. First you get a gun... That is the tanned hide off of a pieball dear I shot 15 years or so ago. It was about 600-70% white. I have only seen 2. They are rare.