PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Crotch HF

John Keeton
01-27-2011, 4:50 PM
Our turning club does an annual charity/fund raising event. We obtain donated wood from the charity, and a couple of members chunk it up, and distribute it among the members. Various turnings are done for an exhibit. Later on a sale or auction is conducted, along with some demos that day, and kind of a reception type atmosphere. The proceeds are split with the charity.

At least, this is the description I have heard! I have only been in the club for less than a year, and barely got in on the last event. While I did complete a turning, I was unable to go to the event. Last year it was an arboretum - this year a nature preserve.

I ended up with a cracked piece of cherry crotch - kind of the leftover piece no one wanted. I thought it looked promising. This little fellow is 4.5" wide x 5" tall, finished with BLO, shellac and WOP. The finial is cherry, with the cove base dyed black. I shamefully say this, but I just wasn't into spending a substantial amount of time on the finial!:o I probably should feel differently about that! But, last year the sale prices were ridiculously low, and I don't expect doing much with this piece would make a difference.

In any event, we were playing cards the other night, and when I saw the Ace of Spades, my first thought was - I should try a finial shape like that!! In hindsight, I am not sure it was a good plan!:p I guess it will work, but there won't be any more.;)

Now, on to something a bit more artsy!!:D

180002 179999 180000 180001

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2011, 4:59 PM
The hollow form looks really good to me John! I agree with you on the finial - but it fills a need! I hope this piece does well at your auction! I figure that just your signature on the bottom of the piece added a few hundred to the minimum starting bid! Have fun at your event!

Jim Adkins
01-27-2011, 5:10 PM
John....You did good, a fine looking piece and I think Steve is correct with your signature
applied to the bottom will up the ante. Good luck with the auction and enjoy winter!!
Soon we'll be mowing grass when we could be turnng!!

bob svoboda
01-27-2011, 5:13 PM
John. I am beginning to believe you are incapable of turning anything that isn't great. I really like your form, and, what a beautiful piece of wood. Personally, I like the finial too-it's so hard to do something with a finial that works and is original, but I think you have done that here. A good effort for a good cause. Hope the event goes well and raises lots of $$$$$.

Jim Burr
01-27-2011, 5:21 PM
$200,300 asking price...just a guess! I'll get on the finial bus, base of the cherry finial is a tad chunky, but a 7 card draw hand may hold the same results!! Best of luck on a well done form!

Jon Nuckles
01-27-2011, 5:22 PM
John, you may not think that much of it, but I saved a couple of the pictures for something to try when I develop some skill at this turning thing. You turn out a lot of beautiful stuff (pun recognized, but not intended). Thanks for the inspiration.

Brian Effinger
01-27-2011, 5:53 PM
A nice little HF, John. I hope (and suspect) you will do well in the charity auction.

I don't think the finial is too bad. Maybe if it were all black, or if the stem tapered a little more toward the top? Still, not bad at all, and you never know, until you try.

Brian Libby
01-27-2011, 5:53 PM
Very nice piece!

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2011, 5:54 PM
John I like the HF. The finial shape is different but I like it. Really some nice looking cherry John. I agree with the others that a signature will make minimum bid $500.;):rolleyes:

David Warkentin
01-27-2011, 5:59 PM
Wow John. Even the ones you don't spend much time on look GREAT! Let us know what it goes for.

Carol Kinney
01-27-2011, 6:01 PM
John,
That wood looks wonderful, but yes I'll have to agree with you about the finial. It does work and you did get the job done, maybe a new trend is coming . . . LOL.

Tim Thiebaut
01-27-2011, 6:25 PM
This is all so much a matter of perspective, to me that piece is very artsy as you put it. Doing something of this quality is what I aspire to do at this point in my turning life. I love it, cant wait to attemp one of these myself as soon as I get a couple of smaller projects done and out of the way.

Baxter Smith
01-27-2011, 6:25 PM
Looks good to me. I don't know how you would make the Ace of Spades look like a delicate finial but its an interesting concept and something that could perhaps be applied in some other way.

John Keeton
01-27-2011, 7:07 PM
Thanks, folks, for the kind words, but you all need bigger shovels for this job!!!:D;)

My heart wasn't in this one (oh yeah, it was a spade, not a heart!), and it shows. I am hopeful that there is more interest this year, but last year, as I recall, the highest priced piece went for around $150. The guys did some really nice looking bowls and turnings, and they should have done better. It probably is not the right situation to produce decent prices. To be perfectly honest, I had intended to do a bowl, as I think those do as well as anything at this event, but this was one of the last pieces of wood. It was my "Charlie Brown" chunk!

The form has been done for several days, and it did end up being a nice little form. I had to really force myself to get a finial done, and I really should do another, and may yet. I have another month before the turnings are due in.

Did learn a good lesson, though. This was the second DNA piece for me. When I roughed this one, I took it thinner than the first, since I had such good luck with the walnut piece. The crotch wood in this one really distorted. I had hollowed through about a 1" hole. I had to open it up to nearly 1.5" to get a round hole!!! And the walls on this one are <1/8"!!! I won't do that again either!

Again, thanks, but I know you are yankin' my chain!!!:D

Scott Hubl
01-27-2011, 7:17 PM
Very Nice John.

I like it.

Curt Fuller
01-27-2011, 7:32 PM
I think I disagree with you on this one John. The overall shape and style of the Hollowform is really nice and the wood's pretty too. But I think the finial sets it all off. The idea of the dark lid and the finial from the matching wood looks really good to me. I don't even mind the "spade" shape. I hope it does well at the auction.

George Guadiane
01-27-2011, 7:35 PM
I like it the way that it is.
The finial looks nice with the form.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2011, 7:37 PM
Very nice form............the finial shape should be a one of a kind original! Nice all the way around............and it does display your considerable skill, although it was probably not much of a challenge for your skill level. Some pieces should simply be done because you want to, and for a good cause, so I think this is excellent.

John, I think your biggest challenge lies in the creative side............it is hard for most turners to get captivated with a concept, but you do seem to get that inspiration on a fairly regular basis. Are you left handed? It is said that the most creative people think with the right side of the brain as the dominant side, which is also a trait of left handed folks.

Just a tidbit that I find interesting. Not true in every case across the board, but psychologists research lends to that trait.

David DeCristoforo
01-27-2011, 9:18 PM
Well now... this does present something of a conundrum. The piece of cherry is nothing to write home about but it's still a "nice piece of wood". The form is really nice though and easily stands on it's own. The wood neither adds nor detracts from it. This is good because I think that, often times, we depend too much on spectacular or unusual figure when that should really not be the focus. I also like the seamless transition from the body to the lid portion of the top. It's just a sweet line. But then my eye hits the bottom of the finial and it just sticks there. There is nothing to draw the eye up to the top of the finial. You have to refocus on the finial which simply does not measure up to the rest of the piece. I know you said your heart was not in it but the problem is that it shows and I wish your heart had been in it because the rest of this turning is just so fine.

Jim Burr
01-27-2011, 9:20 PM
OK....the shape is fine, the lid is good. Again, the finial is a little off, but everything else is good. I understand the heart placement...some times ya just need to walk away. But not in this case...what's next????

David E Keller
01-27-2011, 9:28 PM
I like the main form, and it's got a nice bit of figure for a 'leftover'... I'd love to see all the pieces that got picked before this one if this is the runt.

To my eye, the finial seems too stark... I wonder what a bit of pyro would do to lead the eye up from the dark collar? If not pyro, how about one of those nice color jobs going from black near the collar to natural at the top? I agree with DoubleD that my eye stops at the collar, so I'm trying to think of ways to continue the flow.

All in all, it's a nice looking form, and I think it'll do well at the auction. Good on you for donating your talents for a charitable cause.

Roland Martin
01-27-2011, 9:43 PM
Well now... this does present something of a conundrum. The piece of cherry is nothing to write home about but it's still a "nice piece of wood". The form is really nice though and easily stands on it's own. The wood neither adds nor detracts from it. This is good because I think that, often times, we depend too much on spectacular or unusual figure when that should really not be the focus. I also like the seamless transition from the body to the lid portion of the top. It's just a sweet line. But then my eye hits the bottom of the finial and it just sticks there. There is nothing to draw the eye up to the top of the finial. You have to refocus on the finial which simply does not measure up to the rest of the piece. I know you said your heart was not in it but the problem is that it shows and I wish your heart had been in it because the rest of this turning is just so fine.

Ditto! IMHO, the cherry part of the finial is the only issue on this one.

Scott Hackler
01-27-2011, 9:44 PM
John the HF is very nice, as we all expect from you. The finial is.....well.... suitable for the event! Its novel enough that it actually might help bring more at a non art collector type auction!

Michael James
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Beautiful chunk of wood, form and finish. Personally, I'd name it "ace of spades" just to draw attention to the finial. Who knows, mebbe some card player would see it as a gotta have for the game room. Regardless, best wishes for your fundraiser.

Steve LaFara
01-27-2011, 10:51 PM
You guys are way too picky! I think it's awesome and LOVE the finial.

Harry Robinette
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Excellent as always John, hope it get's a bunch for the Charity.
Harry

Leo Van Der Loo
01-28-2011, 1:05 AM
I usually don't comment on HFs, my hearth isn't in those turnings, very nice shape though on the body, flowing right up and over Walnut lid, till it hits the blob on the top of it ;-)), great color in the Cherry, and I think you where lucky to make it so thin, or else it might well have split wide open with that pith running through it on one side, and so no wonder it did distort, anyway it should get just as much attention as any bowl I'd say, and who knows what $$ it will fetch, probably as much as if you had really put a lot into it, shouldn't make you feel as bad if the $$ are small in ### ;).

Fred Perreault
01-28-2011, 6:48 AM
John, so the hollow form is only a modest winner. If you remained fully inspired all of the time, it would be difficult to reach another level. It's telling that you might be less than fully satisfied (but modestly so....) with a turning that many would hope to achieve. It was probably an easy, basic hollow form, and you didn't care as much as you usually might.... well now you have some stimulant in reserve for the next one.

.....the pressure is on! :) :)

Michelle Rich
01-28-2011, 7:55 AM
I read your info, before I looked at the HF..one would think you were talking about another turning. This is a lovely little piece.

steven carter
01-28-2011, 8:39 AM
John,

Even Babe Ruth didn't always hit a home run! Your standards are undoubtedly higher than most, I would say it is a solid double to the outfield gap, remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and hopefully someone will bid a generous amount for the charity. The finial isn't my favorite, but does tend to grow on me the more I look at it. Nice to see something different, you never know where it may lead.

Steve

Tony De Masi
01-28-2011, 8:51 AM
Ok John here's my take. I agree with you on your self critique of this piece. BUT, let me add this. Should what you've heard about last years lack of high prices put you in the frame of mind to not give it your best effort? You still have a month before the pieces are due right? Here on the Creek we have come to expect that ALL of your pieces are well thought out and executed to your high standards. Do you want one of your pieces out there where you know you didn't give it your best shot? I would think not, but it's up to you.

John Keeton
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the follow up comments. From the first week in December thru the first week in January, I completed six turnings. I think I discovered my creative limit!!

The truth is, I have had turner's block recently - wanting to do something, but lacking the inspiration for something new and different.:o

I finally did a sketch of a suspended form, and was moderatly pleased with it. Had the form part about 75% hollowed, and went out one evening to finish it. I told Ms. Keeton, "I am tired and shouldn't do this." I had sharpened the cutter on the Monster, but apparently failed to secure the cutter sufficiently. While the laser told me I was OK, the cut didn't feel right. I withdrew the cutter and it had shifted. Looked at the form, and I could see my cut thru the side!!! It had taken me all of two minutes to destroy the form - first time that I ever had that happen! Stuck the sketch in a drawer for another day, turned the lights off and went to the house.

Over the next few days, I remained in a funk. That's when I decided to finish up this little form - but still without enthusiasm.

Tony, you are right! This piece does deserve a better finial! And, it will have one.;)

Finally, I did get a little inspiration and finished another sketch - and that piece is in the making now. The juices are starting to flow again, so hopefully, I can get back in the swing.:)

This is a first for me. I recall David D. posting once about a lull in his turning creativity, so I suppose it happens to everyone. I do appreciate the supportive comments - good to have folks cheering one on!

And, Roger, I am right handed - maybe that explains this whole situation!!:confused: