PDA

View Full Version : pictures of the new (to me)DJ-20! Also need help wiring to 110V

Silas Smith
01-13-2005, 9:49 PM
Is it a bad thing that when I asked the guy how it was to change the blades he said that he didn't know because the original blades never go dull enough to change or sharpen? This joiner is as good as new for $850. In fact, its a little better because it has the marathon motor instead of the Chinese that the new ones have! I need some help re-wiring the motor to 110V, something I have never done. The motor says for low voltage, line 1 is Blue, Red, and Orange. Line 2 is Black, White and Yellow. I am assuming that low voltage is 110V?

For High voltage the motor says line 1 is Blue and Red. Orange, Black and White are insulate. Yellow is line 2.

My problem is that looking at how it's wired, that makes no sense to me. I would expect to see the grouping match up with the low or high voltage but the appear to be completely different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't wait to fire this up!

Tim Morton
01-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Nice looking jointer...and a great price for being in such "like new" shape. I just bought a used jointer and wasn't quite so lucky, but in the end i will have about the same money into mine..and ALOT more work cleaning it up. I just wired my new jointer motor this weekend for 220, and if you find the thread I started, you will see a link to downloading a wire schematic. Low voltage is 110 and it says to wire 11o:

Line-P1
Line-T2-T5-T4
tape off-P2-T8 and T3

But you might want to check the amp rating at 110 to make sure you have a circuit heavy enough to handle it..you might find it to be rated at 20 or more amps which would cause normal household circuits to trip.

(Look at me sounding like I know anything about electrical wiring!! :D )

Frank Pellow
01-13-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm glad that we did not stear you wrong when we said that you should jump at this offer.

Are you sure that you want to convert the voltage? This is a heavy duty machine and I expect that, at 115 volts, it needs 20 amps and #12 wire. Do you have that?

If it were me, I would put a 230 volt circuit into my shop and run the jointer on that circuit.

Silas Smith
01-13-2005, 11:38 PM
It actually pulls 16.4 amps at 115. It would really be difficult to run 220 to my garage. The HD guy suggested that I make an extension cord from my dryer outlet, but that would mean that I would have a cord running through my kitchen and dining area each time I wanted to use it. What do you think is my best option?

Corvin Alstot
01-13-2005, 11:49 PM
What do you think is my best option?
I have several options for you. Although you will probably not like them.
1. Bring the jointer over to my garage and hook it up to my 220V.
2. Sell me the jointer.

Why don't see what it would cost to run a 220V line to your garage or shop.
If its too high, the extension cord to your dryer doesn't sound bad.

Best of luck,
Corvin

Silas Smith
01-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I have several options for you. Although you will probably not like them.
1. Bring the jointer over to my garage and hook it up to my 220V.
2. Sell me the jointer.

Why don't see what it would cost to run a 220V line to your garage or shop.
If its too high, the extension cord to your dryer doesn't sound bad.

Best of luck,
Corvin
Corvin, why don't we run an extention cord from your shop to mine? I live in Houston, would that be too far?

Seriously, thinking about the extension cord option might work when you think of the actual time the joiner would be running.

Still, my wife is rather territorial about her kitchen space. Kind of like me and my shop.

Ed Moehlenpah
01-14-2005, 12:24 AM
You'll be happier running it on 220v. Or, add a circuit from your panel to the shop for this and the next tools running on 220v.

I ran mine accidentally on 1 leg of a 220 circuit (plug wired wrong, I must have been tired) and it was stalling. I don't think it's going to stall now.
Good luck.
and, congratulations on your new jointer!
Ed

John Weber
01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Silas,

I ran my whole shop sub-panel off a dryer outlet in my basement for a couple months with a 100' extension cord. And the shop is in a detached garage. As long as you have a 20amp 110 circuit you will be fine with 110. Down the road you might want to look at adding a sub-panel in your shop then you can have all the power you need. I run most of my tools with 220 including my DJ-20, but I'm running my Preformax 1.5 hp on 110, as well as my compressor, and both pull a decent amp load. The dryer outlet is a fair temporary solution, but long term, as far as safety and keeping your wife happy, you might want to add a sub-panel and create some 220v circuits. Congrats on a good looking machine. But don't sweat the 110, if it's rated for 20 amps you'll be fine, and the jointer will be just as happy as if it had 220.

John

Corvin, why don't we run an extention cord from your shop to mine? I live in Houston, would that be too far?

Seriously, thinking about the extension cord option might work when you think of the actual time the joiner would be running.

Still, my wife is rather territorial about her kitchen space. Kind of like me and my shop.

John Weber
01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Silas,

If you don't get an answer tonight I can check mine on Friday. My guess is it should match one of the diagrams. I've changed a several motors back and forth and it's always been a straight forward process - just follow the diagram. I'll check back and see if you get if figured out.

John

Corvin Alstot
01-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Its possible but we would need a very good extention cord. I live near West University in Houston, where are you.

Steve Jenkins
01-14-2005, 2:51 PM
Where is your service panel in relation to yoiur shop. It might be a good time to stick in a subpanel. It's actually pretty easy to do. Steve

Scott Parks
01-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Hmm.. Getting creative here... Don't think this would be legal, BUT... Disclaimer, I'm not an electrition..... You could do this in a pinch for 220v.

If you have at least two different 110 circuits in your garage, you can move the breakers on your panel so they are on different legs. In other words, right smack next to each other in the panel, using a paired 220v breaker. Wire TWO 110 plugs to the jointer. IE, one for each leg. Then plug one into each separate outlet/circuit. By switching the breakers to a paired breaker in your panel, if one circuit tripped, it would automatically trip the other circuit. Just make sure that the wiring is adequate to carry the load, such as 12gauge.

With that said, please don't sue me if something went wrong....

David Eisan
01-16-2005, 3:20 PM
Do not wire your DJ-20 to 110 volts. It will *NOT* run on a regular 15 amp circuit (don't ask me how I know this).

When I bought my DJ-20 I ended up putting a 16 breaker 60 amp sub panel in my garage and it was the best thing I ever did, no more was I afraid to buy 220 volt tools. I like having my 4800 watt heater, 2hp dust collector and 3 hp jointer or 4 hp table saw running at the same time. If I did the math, I should have blown the 60 amp breaker in the basement or the 100 amp main many times, but since I am never running the multipul items at full load this has never happened (even with an electric stove and dryer).

Put a sub panel in the garage and be done with it, you will be much happier in the long run.

David.