PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Skin

Roger Chandler
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I cannot be the only one that has done this............

Came in from plowing snow awhile ago. Early this morning noticed that the hollow form I took out of the DNA soak last night was beginning to have little cracks around the shoulder and opening [it had a couple before I soaked it]

Anyway, had to get the snow off the 4-wheel drive, so I could take my wife [a registered nurse] to work. Came back in from completing the plowing and shoveling and decided to try to put some Thin CA glue in those cracks to try and minimize the damage.

That stuff ran everywhere including on my fingers on my left hand, as I was holding and rotating it to fill the little cracks. Well, needless to say, my fingers got stuck good. :eek: :eek: I had the super solvent from Golden West right there thankfully. It took 20 minutes and a sharp knife to loosen fibers on the tenon and bottom and I still lost some skin :eek: Now my fingers are sore and tender.

I am thankful that it was not worse.......that thin CA got me in just a couple of seconds, and I was really stuck fast. Gee whiz, turning wood and its related activities is more dangerous than we realize at times.

Jim Burr
01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Couple of ideas that, being a heavy user of thin CA, I've learned the hard way. Hand lotion, whatever brand, can help soften the glue up. Gloves, Nitrile or latex can get you out of a sticky situation too!

Brian Kent
01-27-2011, 12:45 PM
When my kids were little and thought every thing I did was goofy and funny, I had them put superglue on their finger and thumb on each hand and then lock them together. Then I let them know it wore off in just a couple of weeks.

Ken Garlock
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Roger. I can't say that I have your problem, but I have had to un-glue myself a couple times. I have a quart can of Acetone and put a some on a rag and proceed to rub and soak until I break loose. Beware of fumes. Having learned a lesson I now try to wear nitrile gloves when using CA. The gloves are disposable.... I buy a bag of 500 nitrile gloves from Gemplers. At the same time also buy my wife a bag of 500 latex gloves to use when out gardening.

What you now need is a bottle of Old Corn Husker Hand Lotion.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Roger. I can't say that I have your problem, but I have had to un-glue myself a couple times. I have a quart can of Acetone and put a some on a rag and proceed to rub and soak until I break loose. Beware of fumes. Having learned a lesson I now try to wear nitrile gloves when using CA. The gloves are disposable.... I buy a bag of 500 nitrile gloves from Gemplers. At the same time also buy my wife a bag of 500 latex gloves to use when out gardening.

What you now need is a bottle of Old Corn Husker Hand Lotion.

Ken,

Funny thing.............I have the gloves........they were outside in my shop building, and I was inside the house when I did this. Goes to show me, that I need to slow down at times and get everything set up just right, so not to run into avoidable problems like this. If I had taken a couple of minutes and went to the shop and got some gloves, there would have been no issue..................I guess live and learn, huh?

bob svoboda
01-27-2011, 1:09 PM
Roger, Sorry, but the thought of you walking around for 2 weeks with a hollow form glued to your hand just makes me chuckle :D

Tim Thiebaut
01-27-2011, 2:17 PM
Just because of the storys I have heard on here about CA I always wear nitrile gloves whenever I reach for the bottle of CA.

As for glueing your kids fingers together with CA on purpose, I dont think that is funny in the least bit, just my opinion.

David DeCristoforo
01-27-2011, 2:38 PM
Just be glad you didn't smack yourself in the head...http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Baxter Smith
01-27-2011, 4:48 PM
Guess I just haven't been turning long enough to do that yet. Though I have briefly wondered what I would do if I got stuck to a piece on the lathe and had set the chuck key down out of reach. Glad my lathe has reverse.

Nathan Hawkes
01-27-2011, 4:52 PM
Acetone, (nail polish remover) is good, but the cyanoacrylate debonders work much better. I don't know what extra ingredients they add, but they seem to penetrate the cured glue much better than just acetone alone. Also, the debonder doesn't evaporate as fast, which lets you kind of rub your fingers back and forth to get the glue unstuck. Trust me from experience!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2011, 6:01 PM
Roger I also use nitrile gloves. I also keep the CA debonder close by just in case. It does work a lot better than polish remover or acetone as Nathan said.

Jeff Dorlan
01-27-2011, 7:01 PM
Roger, I have been a long time model aircraft builder and know a bit about skin and cyanoacrylates. You did fine. Acetone works to a degree, but it takes forever. In any event, now that you've done the bonding, and have gotten yourself free, you have some missing tissue. As you said, it is usually quite sore.

I CAN NOT suggest more strenuously, go to your local pharmacy and get some New Skin. It is liquid bandage, and it is liquid gold! First of all, it will help your skin heal very fast, since it will stay clean and protected. It is breathable. It is waterproof (for short exposures). It will keep bacteria and dirt out, but lets the skin flex and stay dry. And on top of all that, it will instantly mitigate 95% of the local pain. All of this comes at a small price, however. It will burn for a few minutes, depending upon the degree of wounding or abrasion you've experienced. I have used this stuff for over 20 years, and have turned hundreds of people into true believers.

Get some New Skin for now, and a box of gloves for the next time. Good luck.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2011, 7:22 PM
Roger, I have been a long time model aircraft builder and know a bit about skin and cyanoacrylates. You did fine. Acetone works to a degree, but it takes forever. In any event, now that you've done the bonding, and have gotten yourself free, you have some missing tissue. As you said, it is usually quite sore.

I CAN NOT suggest more strenuously, go to your local pharmacy and get some New Skin. It is liquid bandage, and it is liquid gold! First of all, it will help your skin heal very fast, since it will stay clean and protected. It is breathable. It is waterproof (for short exposures). It will keep bacteria and dirt out, but lets the skin flex and stay dry. And on top of all that, it will instantly mitigate 95% of the local pain. All of this comes at a small price, however. It will burn for a few minutes, depending upon the degree of wounding or abrasion you've experienced. I have used this stuff for over 20 years, and have turned hundreds of people into true believers.

Get some New Skin for now, and a box of gloves for the next time. Good luck.

Thank you for this Jeff............I will pick some up!

Jeff Dorlan
01-27-2011, 8:35 PM
My pleasure, buddy! You'll like it a lot. It's the kind of thing, too, that you'll forget about most of the time...until you start putting on those annoying hangnails, scrapes, papercuts, and the like. Once you do, and you get in the habit of thinking about it, you'll never use a bandaid or similar bandage again. I hope you agree. Take care.

Harry Robinette
01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Hi All
Watched Bonnie Klien glue her hand to the lathe and had to have one of the guys go get her some debonder,now that was funny (after she was ok). The glue kit, one of those in the red case,debonder three glues and spray,was sold at the auction that night for more then you could imagine,the Cinncy symposium guys had Bonnie sign the debonder.Ended up good for all and allot of fun also.I think that was Turning 2005.
Harry

robert baccus
01-29-2011, 3:33 AM
never, never,never glue yoself to your lathe when alone in the shop!!!----------------ol forester

Ian Jeffcock
01-29-2011, 4:45 AM
Years ago we had a late night robbery at one of the bars in our town. Bad guy got the jump on the bar tender as she was locking up. He super glued her hands behind her back. It was enough that she could not get them apart and was pretty serious.
I think that would make me frantic enough to tear skin. Unfortunately he was never caught. If I was the judge, I would have known what part of his sentence would have been.....