PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a socket set

Burt Alcantara
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I've been using an ultra cheap HF socket set for the past 5 years. There's not one socket in that set that fits anything snuggly. On top of that, the sockets often fall out of the wrench. It's time for a better set.

I'm aware of Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt. The needs are fairly minimal. Routine maintenance of things. I don't work on cars. A good selection of both Imperial and Metric. For the very large nuts I have purpose bought sockets so my need is for an all-around set.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Burt

Callan Campbell
01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
If the broach or square hole of the socket is worn enough to fall off a ratchet , then yeah, you have problems. I'm guessing the ratchet is OK, and not ALL sockets fall off easily? You want to get a set that has a lifetime warranty, so if any of your new sockets from the set start to fall off the also new ratchet, you can exchange them. I don't know if HF allows for this, but Sears/Craftsman and others do, so maybe check them out. I tend to look at the rachet design, its function, and how comfortable it fits in my hand much more than the socket performance of most sets. I find many rachets in a set are not to my liking, but the sockets are OK, so I have several high end rachets to run all my simple sockets. And I resell the unused ratchets off like on Craigslist etc.
12point sockets are the most common, and usually the cheapest. If you're not needing 6 point sockets for rusty nut and bolts like on a car[you mentioned you didn't need any auto maint tools], then you have the most to choose from for general usage.
I've had good luck with either Sears or Home Depot for general type sets, the warranty for "Husky" tools I haven't had to mess with yet, but Sears is always easy to deal with for worn hand tools.

Matt Meiser
01-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd buy a set from Sears. There's frequently some kind of good deal on a multi-piece set. Craftsman may not be the best, but also far from the worst. Its available at a pretty fair price, much is still made in the US, and its super-easy to exchange any broken or warn parts.

I'd hazard a guess that a 1/4" drive set with sockets up to 9/16" will take care of 90+% of household stuff. That would be up to a 3/8" bolt, assuming standard sized heads.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Your local auto parts store will sell a good set, better than Harbor Freight and Craftsman, not as good as Snap-on, for a reasonable price. What is your budget? Blackhawk, Proto, Easco, KT, SK are some good mid level brands, Snap-on and Mac are top quality. All should have unconditional lifetime warranties. If you like the feel of good tools, spend a little more and enjoy the Snap-on set for the rest of your days.

Aaron Berk
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
In my past life I made a living as an aviation diesel/hydraulic mechanic. I still own an ungodly amount of tools.

I worked side by side with guys owning 100% HF tools, and guys owning 100% snap-on and others (MAC, Matco, Cornwell,....)

Me personally, all my BASIC hand tools were Craftsman. By basic I mean, open-end and box-end wrenches, ratchets and sockets as well as screwdrivers. I used the Craftsman Professional ratchets (much better than the standard ones) and Professional screwdrivers (the handle is the only better part)

All my specialty items came from the name brands (pneumatic tools, inspection stuff, multi joint pliers....)

So yeah, for basic needs Craftsman has a great product and EXCELLENT return policy.
I'm also a fan of Gear Wrench pass through socket sets.

Burt Alcantara
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
SnapOn and MAC are way overkill. I'm no spring chicken so a lifetime warranty doesn't mean a lot to me. Just want to pop a socket on the wrench and have it not fall off but fit snuggly. I've seen a nice Kobalt set at Lowes for $50 but I get dizzy with all the selection at Sears. I want enough but not too much.

Michael Schneider
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I've been using an ultra cheap HF socket set for the past 5 years. There's not one socket in that set that fits anything snuggly. On top of that, the sockets often fall out of the wrench. It's time for a better set.

I'm aware of Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt. The needs are fairly minimal. Routine maintenance of things. I don't work on cars. A good selection of both Imperial and Metric. For the very large nuts I have purpose bought sockets so my need is for an all-around set.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Burt

I have a basic set from costco.

metric and english wrenches
1/2 3/8 and 1/4

metric and english
deep socket + regular
screwdriver + bits

case

All for about $100

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11225695&Ne=4000000&N=4294908115%204042057&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78608

John D Watson
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Burt, I found a great set at Cosco made by Cresent. It includes all standard and metric up to 1 1/4". And the ratchets wil not let the socket go without pushing a button on the back of the ratchet. Super for home use, and it seems like a very sturdy set made by a competent company. I'm pretty sure it was under a 100 bucks.

Matt Winterowd
01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that Craftsman sockets are probably good enough for any reasonable home shop use. However, after having lost a number of my old Craftsman sockets I decided I would upgrade on my next set. I started with a modest set of 1/4" & 3/8" Proto sockets and a pair of ratchet handles. Man, what a difference. Now my wrenches are in the "tools that I just like to pick up and use" category, and while they aren't cheap, I didn't have to mortgage the house to buy them. And you can always add to the kit as you need. For one thing, if you get a high quality ratchet handle (that is solid, but has a relatively fine ratchet mechanism) you don't need both 6 and 12 point sockets in every size, which is standard with the Craftman kits, and way overkill. 6 point is better for grip and wear anyway.

Tony Perrone
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I have craftsman and Husky 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drive sockets for the ratchet but 1/2 SK and snapon for my impact drivers all have a nice return policy just a little harder to find the snap on guy because he doesn't stop at the house anymore since I moved.

Matt Day
01-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd suggest Craftsman as well. You're sure to find a good set on sale with everything you need. I would however suggest you get a set that includes at least 1/4" & 3/8" drive at the minimum. I have about a 100 pc set of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" (with ratchets) with 6pt and 12pt sockets and it has been great. I do some light automotive (and used to do motorcycle) work, bicycle maintenance, and household stuff/projects and it has done almost everything I need. A few other things I have are some adapters and extenders (HF usually suffice), and a couple in between sizes (like a 20mm socket, when I have a 19mm and 21mm in my original set).

The costs of supplementing a set with individual pieces after is ridiculous compared to the cost of the original set. With that in mind, I'd suggest you get as much as you can now - you won't regret it when something comes up and you need to find a certain size.

Burt Alcantara
01-27-2011, 3:38 PM
The problem I have with kits like Costco's is the duplication of things I already own, like wrenches and bits.

What is a 6/12 pt socket? That term is unfamiliar.

Aaron Berk
01-27-2011, 4:03 PM
The problem I have with kits like Costco's is the duplication of things I already own, like wrenches and bits.

What is a 6/12 pt socket? That term is unfamiliar.

6 and 12, those are the amount of contact points inside the socket or box end wrench.

6 points are stronger, 12 points allow you to get a tighter degree of rotation.

And there's 8 point sockets as well, I use them for "farmer bolts"

Van Huskey
01-27-2011, 4:07 PM
I third, fourth or whatever Craftsman, Snap-on et al is way overkill here. They always have something on sale too.

6pt sockets have 6 faces, so they fit right on a 6 sided nut/bolt, 12 pt are more universal and work on 4 sided and 6 sided nuts/bolts as well. 90% of the time 12 pts are fine but they do wear faster. In high torque applications I much prefer a 6pt socket on a 6 face bolt/nut since there is far more metal to metal contact.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-27-2011, 4:28 PM
As an ex-mechanic, I would say to go to Sears and get a Craftsman set also. The quality is a known standard. As mentioned, not the best, but far far from the worst. I would avoid the auto parts store. While they do sell Mac/Matco, they also sell some other unknown and quite cheap tools. I've never broken a Craftsman socket, unless using an impact wrench or cheater bar on a regular socket. And they still gave me a new one.

Chris Tsutsui
01-27-2011, 4:52 PM
Just as a warning, but within the last week, my local Harbor freight has introduced Pittsburgh pro socket line that seems pretty outstanding. The new series is black and has the feel of an impact socket, yet laser etched for visibility. So you can get a full set for under $20 that'll probably get the job done. Seems way better than the colored bit sets they used to have.

BTW, Costco sells a full short and long socket set Imperial and metric (4 sets total) of the colored type that are made offshores, These are only $19.99 in their store. I was at costco a couple days ago buying diapers so consider this your budgetary replacement if your sockets are just worn.

As for Craftsman... check your local sears for the clearance section because I frequently see open box sets that might be missing a piece or two and they are up to 60% or sometimes more off. Then you can buy the missing pieces separately and end up with a new complete set. For some reason my local sears ALWAYS has a clearance section, while these other two sears I go to have hardly anything at a discount...

About a month ago I ended up with two of their Pro sets (Ratcheting wrench set and Heavy duty socket set), and they were 60% off since the pro sets are not sold in stores and are online purchases only. So when somebody returns them to a store or refuses to pick them up then they are clearanced as new in box sets.

What I like about craftsman is you can bring a tool in and they'll replace it with no receipt and no hassle with a new tool right off the shelf. I had to do this with a socket wrench that came bent in the 77pc set I bought. See interesting "bent" wrench that came new in box. No this isn't the part number that was supposed to be bent. heh

The only way I would buy snap-on is if it's from craigslist for 75% off or if I was a professional mechanic. :)

Steve H Graham
01-27-2011, 5:39 PM
I went through this a few years back and ended up with SK. No complaints, except for the difficulty of making exchanges. I also have Craftsman wrenches, and it's pretty obvious that they're not as good. One thing to think about: how far you have to turn the wrench to make it click. You don't want a wrench that has to be turned over a long arc every time, because it will only be useful in large spaces.

My dad's diesel mechanic won't use Craftsman wrenches. I asked him why, and he said they had snapped on him in the past. He was talking about combination wrenches, though.

All2ools.com is having a sale on Williams wrenches.

Pat Barry
01-27-2011, 6:29 PM
I bought SK a long time ago and they were very good, but last 10 yrs has been all Craftsman and they are excellent. I can so no reason to buy anything more expensive than Craftsman, and I can see even less reason to buy a cheap set from HF or anywhere else.

Chip Lindley
01-27-2011, 6:36 PM
I will heartily recommend Craftsman! I bought a pretty complete set of SAE and Metric 1/2", 3/8" 1/4" sockets in 1985 (with lots of accessory pieces over years) They are still going strong. Sears has replaced one 3/8" and two 1/2" ratchets in that time. The Sears lifetime guarantee is great on these hand tools! I suspect they figure the tools will be lost, strayed or stolen before they need replacing.

steven c newman
01-27-2011, 6:36 PM
If one were to look in my tool boxes, one would see quite a "grab bag" of names. However, if the OP wants a good ( rather than "Top of the line) set, go into Walmart and pick up a set of Stanley Pro hand tools. Yes I know about them being "Made in China". However, these sets do work quite well, for the money. Return policy is through either Walmart (with reciept), or through Stanley. As for the sockets falling off the OP's ratchet, check that little ball "keeper", and see if it still moves in and out. Could be a "sticky" ball allowing the socket to fall off.

Note: My "grab bag" includes: S&K, Proto, Bonny, Herbrandt, Walden, Craftsman, Stanley, Cornwell, Snap-on, and even a few from Harbor Freight. There are a couple other names in there as well, but you get the idea. This doesn't include all those maked marshalltown.

Norman Hitt
01-27-2011, 7:28 PM
In sets, because of past life work, I have a mixture of Craftsman and Snap On, some individual items including Mac, S & K, Proto, etc. and a variety of "Dunno" brands inherited from friends & relatives, or found with other misc junk found in auction purchases. With that said, the "Craftsman Brand" tools have always been reasonably priced and reliable and over the years I have only broken two sockets, a couple of combination wrenches and finally wore out ONE rachet wrench (all of which they replaced with no problem). I did get burned ONCE though, with a set that was on sale pretty cheap that I wanted to leave at a remote place and not have to take tools every time I went there. The problem was that I didn't notice that the tools (and package) said Sears, NOT "Craftsman", and when two broke the first use, I discovered that they DID NOT have the warranty that Craftsman Branded tools had and they would not replace them unless I paid for them.:mad: (That small set was the ONLY ones I have ever knowingly thrown in the trash):rolleyes: Basically, the 'Sears Branded Tools' were a cheap Asian import, (and not even an average quality one at that), so when you buy wrench sets at Sears, BE SURE that they are "Craftsman Brand Tools", NOT Sears Brand unless they have since change the warranty policy. I have many Craftsman wrenches that are over 55 years old and all still work as expected. IF Sears would only have added "Loss Replacement" to their warranty, I'd be in Hog Heaven.:D

Jim Watts
01-27-2011, 7:53 PM
I used to work in the hardware department at Montgomery Ward - seemingly a lifetime ago. They, too, had mechanics' tools with a Lifetime Warranty - made by Thorsen (http://www.thorsentoolco.com/). Like a previous poster observed, we also had a Clearance table for mismatched sets or those with missing pieces. I used to snag many of these before they reached the table - and with an employee discount to boot! Needless to say, I assembled a pretty respectable set of tools for a 17 year old. I sold them all for beer money before joined the USAF :o

I'm not sure if Thorsen still honors the old Wards warranty - I'm doubtful. And even if they did, I have no idea where I'd redeem it. Moral of the story : Lifetime Warranties are only good for the lifetime of the Company or that of the tool owner, whichever ends first.

greg a bender
01-27-2011, 7:57 PM
+100 for Craftsman.

My wife bought me a 300+ part set 2 years ago and I think I have used (and in some cases, abused) every single item this past year assembling all the new machinery I bought this year.
Could not have assembled all this stuff without a full set of sockets, drives, Allen wrenches, torx and the other odd bits included in a good Sears package.

Well worth the 'little' expense.

Greg A

Aaron Berk
01-27-2011, 8:29 PM
180060180061180059180062http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Dave Zellers
01-27-2011, 8:29 PM
+100 for Craftsman.

And +100 to Bert for starting this thread. I was wondering the same thing, and wondering if I should just go with the old standby Craftsman, and now I'm not wondering anymore!

Dave Zellers
01-27-2011, 8:33 PM
Those pics are disgusting.

For God's sake man, sprinkle some sawdust in there!:D

Aaron Berk
01-27-2011, 8:37 PM
Those pics are disgusting.

For God's sake man, sprinkle some sawdust in there!:D

LOL, that's funny. I actually just blew them out with my air gun before taking the pics.
I had my miter saw in front of the tool box yesterday, and the whole thing was loaded with dust.

Dave Zellers
01-27-2011, 8:41 PM
LOL, that's funny. I actually just blew them out with my air gun before taking the pics.

OK, I'll accept that. :)

Mark Ashmeade
01-27-2011, 8:51 PM
+1 for Stanley. I bought a set 20 years ago that is still going strong. Which is more than can be said for the plastic blow molded case. See, even blow-mold cases can be 20 years old!

In those 20 years I have been through lots of other tools, but these have stuck with me. I had to buy a special wrench for the tow ball on my truck, but other than that, they have done me proud. They weren't cheap, but with half off back then, they were just about affordable.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2011, 9:14 PM
No offense to you Craftsman fans, I have a pile of them myself, but it's funny to see the different attitudes taken by the mechanical pros that I work around every day compared to this forum of sawdust makers. Apparently the original poster wants a set of cheap tools which he will probably never stress enough to break, so practically anything will work well enough.

If you need better wrenches, you'll know it, and the price difference will be well worth it.

Steve H Graham
01-27-2011, 9:33 PM
It surprises me that people are recommending Craftsman. Maybe it's because it's a woodworking forum and not a mechanics' forum.

Consider the test I just did. I took out two 1/4"-drive ratchets. One is Craftsman, and the other is SK. I turned each through 90° and counted the clicks. The Craftsman clicked 9 times, and the SK went about 18. What does that mean? It means you only have to be able to swing the SK half as far in order to be able to use it. You will notice that when you're trying to turn some accursed bolt which is buried deep in your car's engine compartment, where you can barely move the wrench. If you've never been in a situation where you couldn't turn a socket wrench far enough to activate the ratchet, you're very lucky. It has happened to me more than once.

This is one of the big differences between bad socket wrenches and good ones. Sears won't point it out for you. Also, different brands of sockets are not the same. SK claims its sockets grip the side of the hex, not the corner, leading to less rounding. I'm sure there are other brands that make similar claims.

Craftsman screwdrivers (made by Western Forge for Sears) are what turned me off the brand. They kept rounding off, because they were softer than screws. I didn't bother replacing them on warranty. Free crap is still crap. I got Kleins, and they're wonderful.

My dad has a set of excellent screwdrivers from Harbor Freight, believe it or not. I wanted to get a set, but I figured they might be buying from different sweatshops in Shanghai, and one sweatshop might have lower standards than another.

Whatever you get, make sure you get universals and adapters and extensions, because they will multiply the usefulness of the set by a large integer. After that, get a cordless impact driver with a 3/8" attachment for sockets. An impact driver will change your life. You'll never turn a fastener with a drill again. There is no comparison.

Dave Zellers
01-27-2011, 9:39 PM
No offense to you Craftsman fans, I have a pile of them myself, but it's funny to see the different attitudes taken by the mechanical pros that I work around every day compared to this forum of sawdust makers. Apparently the original poster wants a set of cheap tools which he will probably never stress enough to break, so practically anything will work well enough.

If you need better wrenches, you'll know it, and the price difference will be well worth it.
Yes- this is the essence of the matter for sure.

But the point is, we are not mechanics, we are wood workers who just need to service our machines once in a while.

Your last line is perfect. It applies to everything we interact with. We all know and agree that crappy tools have no value, but just as well, there is a threshold of 'good enough' that easily comes into play. Think Grizzly. I have their 8" 0490 jointer. It's far from the best, but can I use it to make great things? Yep. I love it.

But to your point, if I made made my living with wrenches, I would want something better than Craftsman. Actually, I think someone else already made that point earlier.

Bruce Wrenn
01-27-2011, 9:59 PM
Lowes has a 40 piece set of Kobalt (made by Easco, same as Craftsman used to be), 3/8 drive, that include both regular and deep sockets in both SAE and metric. Last year they ran them for $19.99 (regularly $39.99). I snagged three sets, using $10 off $50 coupons. So I wound up with $10 in each set.

Mark Ashmeade
01-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Lowes has a 40 piece set of Kobalt (made by Easco, same as Craftsman used to be), 3/8 drive, that include both regular and deep sockets in both SAE and metric. Last year they ran them for $19.99 (regularly $39.99). I snagged three sets, using $10 off $50 coupons. So I wound up with $10 in each set.

I'm not sure I'm following that. Regular and deep, metric and Imperial. So for a 40 piece set, with four alternatives, they only come in 10 sizes?

Cary Falk
01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I have the Crescent set from Costco.

Charles McKinley
01-28-2011, 2:07 AM
I really like the SK sets like this
http://www.amazon.com/SK-91844-4-Millimeter-15-Millimeter-Assortments/dp/B0002NYCJA/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

What I like best about the SK sets is that the sockets STAY IN PLACE! I can have the case shut and drop if while carying it and everything is where it should be when I open it. I have them in 1/4 and 3/8. Watch the auction site and you can get them at about half the amazon price. You also have all the shallow and deep sockets, SAE and Metric all in one organized place. The Craftsman sockets are fine I HATE the standard Craftsman ratchets, haven't tried their better ones.

Brands that are good quality but less know so better prices on the auction site Herbrand, Williams, Proto, Allen

HTH

Rich Engelhardt
01-28-2011, 7:52 AM
Any recommendations?
I have a decent C-man set - but - those ratcheting box end wrenches simply rock.
They are my "go to" anymore.

Dave Lehnert
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
+1 for Craftsman. My set is over 25 years old.
The only thing I will add, What ever kit you chose, Pick up a set of this Craftsman 17 pc. Run on sale for around $15 often. Amazing how handy they are for working on mowers, Replacing your car battery etc. Saves dragging out you big set.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934863000P?prdNo=24&blockNo=24&blockType=G24

Harbor Freight handtools also have a Lifetime warranty.

Ryan Hellmer
01-28-2011, 1:04 PM
I'm in the hybrid category. Craftsman is my go-to. Good quality, great returns policy, lifetime warrantee, cheap bulk sets. However, I have some snap-on ratchets... worth every penny. I would recommend you get a good craftsman set and if you ever want to spoil yourself just go get the snap-on ratchet handles. Snap-on also has some killer screwdrivers, but they come with a killer price-tag too. I have a mix of snap-on, bluepoint (snap-on's off brand) and craftsman air tools all of which have tolerated the moderate use I give them.

Ryan

John Coloccia
01-28-2011, 1:18 PM
I buy craftsman sockets and wrenches. I agree that the ratchets are not the best, but they can be replaced with your favorite ratchet. The nice part is I can go to any sears on the planet with a busted whatever, hand it to the guy, and they grab a new one off the shelf and I'm on my way. That said, I've only had to do that twice.

I DID have to replace one of their ratchets, though. Stopped ratcheting! I found one at the Auto Expo in W. Springfield last weekend for $8.

I wouldn't buy a Craftsman screwdriver, though. They are miserable. I think they make them out of warm butter. I was very disappointed with their new screwdrivers and I didn't replace mine either, Steve. I use Wera screwdrivers almost exclusively now, and they are fantastic!

Greg Portland
01-28-2011, 1:32 PM
The Craftsman sockets are fine I HATE the standard Craftsman ratchets, haven't tried their better ones.I have a Craftsman set before they came out with their "professional" line. I usually break my 3/8" ratchet every 1-2 years & Sears replaces it with no problems. In fact, they have an entire drawer at the checkout counter -filled- with these ratchets (I guess they process a few returns :eek:). The reversing lever is actually plastic although it's made to look like metal. Sears is nice because it is very easy to get a replacement but that is the main advantage.

Jay Jeffery
01-28-2011, 1:47 PM
Another vote for Craftsman. They are not the best, but they represent the best value. Cheap hand tools are dangerous and my knuckles are worth too much to not use decent hand tools.

Here are a few tips:
On major holidays they usually run some good specials.
These sets usually go on sale for half price between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
1/4" SAE (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934860000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4) Metric (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934861000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5)
3/8" SAE (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934553000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6) Metric (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934554000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7)

Get a 12" long 3/8" dive ratchet. Believe me, they are worth every penny.
Cheap one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944815000P?prdNo=23&blockNo=23&blockType=G23)
Better one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944836000P?prdNo=14&blockNo=39&blockType=G39) with a plastic handle that makes pounding off fasteners less painful

You will also want a good selection of extension bars. The 3/8" (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943282000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2) set goes on sale for half price often, but the other sizes never do.

These trays (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941377000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7) are the best way I've found to store sockets. I keep the ratchets, extensions and bolts I take off in a magnetic tray.

But if all you want is a basic high quality SAE set, there is that Bahco set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=27098&filter=socket) at Rockler right now. From what I hear they are nice, but good luck getting a broken tool replaced.

I've taken all kinds of busted Craftsman hand tools in for no questions asked replacements. Some with clear signs of abuse.

hank dekeyser
01-28-2011, 1:55 PM
My 2 cents - Another vote for the big C - heck they sell 'em at Kmart (yeah I know they bought 'em out) I have a set of C-man sockets I got like 25 years ago, replaced the ratchet gears once or twice. I replaced the gears because they wanted to replace my ratchet w/ the new style POS ratchets. watch for the ratchet gears on clearance- I stocked up a few years back for like 25 cents ea. - HF also has "lifetime" warranty - they're not bad - same goes for the Stanley sockets, I needed a 6 pt set and snapped up the Stanleys on clearance at wally world -

IMHO- wait for clearance, or on sale, or use the 20% off coupon at HF, or whatever. I got probly one of everything from different manufacturers. So I'm not partial or loyal to ane one of them. I buy what I can afford to if I'm desperate, otherwise I wait for a smokin' deal.

I agree that tool box needs some sawdust in it.

Van Huskey
01-28-2011, 2:17 PM
It surprises me that people are recommending Craftsman. Maybe it's because it's a woodworking forum and not a mechanics' forum.

I think it has more to do with the fact the question was ask on a woodworking forum than the responses being from a woodworking forum. Probably many people here understand the quality and potential value of Mac, Snap-on, S&K and the like, there was a day when I had a Snap-on roll around that with the tools inside were worth more than a new Accord, but that was a time when I thought a 600hp small block was only fit for a grocery getter...seriously. The average woodworker is still pretty mechanically inclined and can appreciate good tools but for the vast majority a Craftsman socket set represents excellent value. Would I want to be waste deep in a 67 Mustang with a shoehorned big block in it wrenching on a stuck header bolt with a Craftsman ratchet infuriating me with its coarse movement worried about whether the 12pt C-man socket is going to round off and smash my hand...NO. However, the thought of tightening a nut somewhere on the "honey-do" list with a C-man doesn't bother me at all. If my mechanic/metal working buddy from down the street needs a bandsaw to cut a little wood now and again it is unlikely that a Mini-Max MM24 is going to be my first recommendation.

Ray Newman
01-28-2011, 3:18 PM
‘bout twenty years ago, I bought one of the Sears “Mechanic’s sets” which included a heavy duty plastic tool box that always seem to be on sale. I looked on the Sears web page and this looks like the set: ‘Sears Item# 00933200000 | Model# 39115

At the time, I asked my brother and his son who both are heavy truck mechanics about what wrenches and sockets as I was tired of using “Channel Locks” and “Vise Grips”. Without hesitation, they recommended Craftsman for the value and warrantee. They also advised a set that has ¼”, 3/8”, ½” SAE and metric sockets and wrenches.

I thought I bought too much of what I would never need. But over the years, the set has more than paid for itself many times over. And to my surprise, I even found use for the ½” drive when working on the lawn tractor mower deck. Besides the lawn tractor/mower, I do not do any other automotive work. I really dislike not using the proper correct tool for the job and I have never regretted buying good tools, but have made mistakes buying something that doesn’t fit the task at hand.

This last summer, I looked at a set of Husky Torx and Allen sockets. The very fine print in a hard to read place on the packing said “made in China.” ‘Dunno’ if that applies to all Husky tools, but I consider country of origin when purchasing.

Burt Alcantara
01-28-2011, 4:09 PM
Funny thing about Craftsman, around here, everything on Craigslist is Craftsman EXCEPT socket wrenches. I love this thread as I had no idea that some wrenches had more clicks then others and the whole thing about socket points. That's something I'll keep a lookout for when I go buy a set. As for breaking wrenches and sockets, I've probably broken more of my own teeth then tools.

Dewayne Reding
01-28-2011, 7:00 PM
Craftman for the woodworker. I wrenched for many years and think they are garbage in that application, but fine for your needs as you aren't going to run into siezed fasteners often . Do love my 80 tooth high end ratchets for cramped quarters, but they are overkill for you.

Jason Roehl
01-28-2011, 7:12 PM
If I were going to be buying socket sets again, I would go with the Craftsman High-Visibility sets--the sizes are laser-engraved on the sides in a high-contrast, large format. Very easy to read, even in low light. I've done plenty of my own wrenching on vehicles over the years, and they've been fine, but I have seen some limitations. I wouldn't want to use them if my livelihood depended on them. That said, I have, in a pinch, used regular sockets with an impact wrench when I didn't have the appropriately-sized impact socket. They can be stretched or split, but I've also seen some hold up when I didn't think they would.