PDA

View Full Version : Vonage or Majic Jack ?

greg lindsey
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I been thinking of adding an additional phone line in my office, called AT&T who is my service providor and they want 50.00 a month to add this line with a different number, I wanted a seperate number because I have a few new websites launching next month and wanted to seperate them from my current lines. Carrying a third cell phone is not an option.

So I've been looking at either Vonage or Majic Jack and was wondering if anyone here used either, if so, what did you like or dislike about either. Or if you are using any other type of Voip, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jackie Outten
01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Greg,

I think I would go with Vonage. I have never used them but I have used Magic Jack. The actual phone service was fine but when it came time to renew I could not contact anyone at the company for help and I could not renew on the internet so I finally gave up.

Jackie Outten

Lee Schierer
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
My Daughter has Vonage and if she is on the phone and someone is using one of the computers for heavy browsing or a down load it can disrupt the phone call sort of like a cell phone call just before you lose the signal.

Dave Wagner
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?120292-magicjack&highlight=magic+jack

greg lindsey
01-27-2011, 3:59 PM
Thanks Dave.

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 4:09 PM
I've had Vonage for 3 years without any complaints. This is with high speed interconnect (cable, then Fios).

Ed Hazel
01-27-2011, 4:11 PM
I use ring central they give you an 800 number and you can direct it to any number you want (your cell phone). $10 month IRC 300 min month included. The 800 number gives a professional look to your website.

Ron Hartl
01-27-2011, 5:23 PM
I have had vonage for several years, maybe 8? You will need high speed internet or you won't be able to understand the person on the other end as it cuts out. IMO it is far superior to the local phone companies, cheaper too.

Jerome Stanek
01-27-2011, 5:58 PM
I tried magic jack but it was bad it cut in and out every where I tried it I have Time Warner phone now and it is good.

Scott Donley
01-27-2011, 6:09 PM
Greg, if all you want is a separate number, you might look into Google Voice. Pick your number and will ring the number of your choice. Free long distance, text,voice mail, for FREE !

Bill Huber
01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
There is another option, that is Ooma, now I do not have it but I have heard it is very good. I am thinking about it but just have not made up my mind yet, it would pay for itself in about 10 months. My big question is how is the company going to make money, just selling the unit, that can't go on forever.

http://www.ooma.com/

I do have Vonage for about 4 years and I really like it, I have the $25, 500 min. plan and it works out very well for me. When I go on vacation I just unplug the Vonage box and all the calls come to my cell phone.

Curt Harms
01-28-2011, 8:01 AM
We had Vonage for a number of years before going with a FiOS bundle. It worked well but sometimes it worked with Fax, sometimes not. I only used fax a few times a year so didn't really worry about it. When we had DSL, if I had a large file download going on and using Vonage the person I was talking to would complain about the call breaking up. I went into the router setup and adjusted the QoS on the Vonage port to higher priority (or whatever it's called.) That seemed to help.

John McClanahan
01-28-2011, 8:21 AM
When Magic Jack first came out, I went to their web site and checked it out. Upon reading the terms of use agreement, I couldn't believe the BS you had to agree to. Not for me!

John