PDA

View Full Version : Chipped Mouths

David Nelson1
01-27-2011, 8:51 AM
I've been looking at a few planes and have noticed chips in the mouth areas. I shyed away from these planes due to the damage, then I got to thinking how the defects would affect the planes useage. I of course couldn't answer my own questions with any accuracy.

Most of the planes are 80-100 years old and it would seem a shame to discard a good user if it has no ill effect on the function. What would be the harm if the mouth was chipped a bit on either side of the cutter?

Dave

David Weaver
01-27-2011, 8:55 AM
Not really. For a smoother if you're relying on the mouth to be really tight, it's preferable to not have them on the plane (well, at least in front of the iron).

If they are behind the iron, relatively small, and there are no burrs on them that would scrape the work and they are not related to any cracks, then they're really not an issue.

The biggest issue with a chip that doesn't affect function is that it affects value. That could be to your benefit as a buyer looking for inexpensive users. I personally would halve the plane value for a chip that is anything more than half the size of a BB or maybe even smaller than that, because the only way for a layman to fix it is to get another casting. It may make no difference in use, but it is something to cause anyone who buys a plane to hitch, and in the internet world where there are plenty of planes with no problems at all.....well, you don't have to compromise if you're paying full price for a plane.

Dave Anderson NH
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I concur with David. I have an old #4 Stanley with a chiop on the front edge of the mouth about1.5mm wide x .5mm toward the front. I find no problem whatsoever with the plane's performance on any wood with "normal" figure. For the nasty stuff I go to either my Spier#7 Shepherd that I built years ago or to my York pitch Knight smoother or my Middle pitch Clark & Williams.

Jim Koepke
01-27-2011, 1:17 PM
+1 on what others said, it is mostly cosmetic. If it is a small chip at the front, I will usually just file it out. If it is on the back, then what happens depends on the size and if it is before or after type 9 on Stanley/Bailey planes.

One problem with a chip at the back of the mouth is debris can accumulate in that area. This even happens with a perfect mouth. It would likely be worse in the case of a mouth with a pocket looking like a tempting refuge for chips of wood. Occasionally a splinter gets lodged in between the blade and the back of the mouth on my planes. This can show up as line on the area being smoothed.

Most often though, with so many choices available my suggestion is to wait unless the price is real low and the rest of the parts are in good shape. It is always a good idea to have a few spare parts.

It could be compared to buying a used car. If there is a choice between cars that are equal in every way other than one having a huge dent in the fender, which one would you prefer to have if they were priced the same?

Of course a fender could be replaced. A chip in the mouth of a plane may always be there, sticking its tongue out at you.

jtk

David Nelson1
01-27-2011, 1:56 PM
Thanks ya'll I was hoping for comments along this line.

Charles McKinley
01-28-2011, 2:45 AM
If it is to the front you will file it off when you put the thicker Hock Iron and chip breaker in it anyways. ;)