PDA

View Full Version : Flying Rib Vase

John Beaver
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
7 x 6 She Oak / Wenge

This is a technique I have been playing with, and I feel this my best execution of it so far. There are some technical challenges in clamping and alignment that I feel I am overcoming.

Rather then classical staves, I first turn the body then deconstruct it, add the ribs and reconstruct it. I prefer this method as it allows the grain from the wood of the body to follow through the ribs.

My goal here was to have the two shapes create a nice contrast, yet each retain it's own individual form.

c&c's welcome

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
John - very interesting design and you did a great job on lining everything up! I can see where you have to make sure the outside of the form is finished as far as form and sanding before the deconstruct phase but was wondering if you do any clean-up turning on the inside once everything is glued back together?

Scott Hackler
01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
John that is really cool. I like the vessels that you have done in this style. This one is really neat because of the fact that you can clearly see the form inside of the fins. Just great.

Alan Trout
01-27-2011, 1:28 AM
John,

That is a great piece. I love the concept and the execution.

Very well done!!

Alan

John Keeton
01-27-2011, 6:36 AM
Great job, John! Excellent contrast and color and the effect of "two forms" is unique!

This is a very interesting technique!! I would think a slow set glue would be a priority, and special clamping jigs a must!! Great work, and I had the same question as Steve regarding inside "return" for clean up - the inside diameter would have changed ever so slightly so it seems that cleanup would be necessary. And, how did you rechuck if this was done? I suppose the tenon, if used, would still work with a little less than complete jaw contact.

Steve Vaughan
01-27-2011, 6:43 AM
That's quite a beautiful and unique piece. I like that and I like how you did it...hmmm...got me thinking again. Thanks for sharing this.

Roland Martin
01-27-2011, 6:59 AM
Very nice contrast and a very unique form. I can certainly see that gluing this up presents a challenge, to say the least. Nice work, John.

Jim Underwood
01-27-2011, 8:43 AM
The "HowDeDoDat" factor is pretty large there.... That's a pretty cool form/object. Tell us more!

How did you fixture the form to make the cuts during deconstruction?

bob svoboda
01-27-2011, 8:59 AM
Very cool John. Not sure I want to tackle it, but sure like looking at it!

Jim Burr
01-27-2011, 9:17 AM
Great execution and wood combination John. That must have been a challange!

Lee Koepke
01-27-2011, 9:23 AM
The creativity and skill level I see gets more impressive every day. I am no artist, so I dont know the vernacular, but that is a fantastic piece!

Terry Beadle
01-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok. We need a little corn here. Do you take a lot of ribbing? Hoot!

I too would like to know "howd-he-do-dat".. Six segments? No re-chucking needed? Glue up with rubber bands or strap?

Lot's of questions!

BTW.... Great job! Got my brain in the wonderment zone. Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Now that is cool. Really a great job on it. Inquiring minds want to know.

David E Keller
01-27-2011, 1:47 PM
Nicely done. I like the light/dark wood combo, and the process needed is intriguing.

John Beaver
01-27-2011, 1:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I do clean up the inside after assembly. Figuring out how to keep the strength in the tenon to re-chuck it was another one of the challenges ( I did break one, well two actually). Removing the tenon is also very delicate...and scary !

Michael James
01-27-2011, 8:57 PM
Late to the party, but thanks for posting this. Very original and well done. Every day I see something new here.....thanks for posting!

Brian Effinger
01-27-2011, 9:07 PM
Beautiful, John. I really love your work.
I too would like to see a how-to from you. :)