PDA

View Full Version : Masking options for acrylic

dave hensley
01-26-2011, 9:29 PM
Hi,

I've had my laser up and running for a couples of days, but the money is not pouring in... what's the problem?!? :D

Kidding of course, but seriously, what options exist for masking acrylic so that I can paint/color in areas I am engraving? Is there a special type of tape or adhesive paper that can be used for this?

Dave

Dee Gallo
01-26-2011, 9:36 PM
Welcome to the fun, Dave! You might try several types of masking tape:
1. regular painter's masking tape
2. Frogtape (supposedly less bleeding)
3. vinyl signmaker's transfer tape

A lot of us prefer the transfer tape since it is thin, flexible and goes through the laser process easily. It also comes off easily, especially if it gets wet. It comes in lots of widths too which I like, since there are times I need 2" and other times when I need 6" or more.

I'm surprised your laser did not come packed full with money already... isn't that how they all are shipped?

cheers, dee

dave hensley
01-26-2011, 9:48 PM
Thank you Dee! :)

I think I'll give the transfer tape a try then. I like the idea of different widths as I am sure that would come in handy.

doug cornett
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I am brand new in lasering. What do you suggest as the right color fill paint for acrylics, wood, glass.

Dee Gallo
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I am brand new in lasering. What do you suggest as the right color fill paint for acrylics, wood, glass.

Welcome, Doug! Your question covers 3 areas which are almost completely different - use the advanced search tool at the top right part of this page to find many posts in each area. There are tons of posts to help you. There are as many different techniques and fill preferences are there are members sometimes.

cheers, dee

Chuck Stone
01-27-2011, 8:25 AM
I'm surprised your laser did not come packed full with money already... isn't that how they all are shipped?

He didn't say, but if he got it used then all the accessories might not have been there.. :p

Mike Null
01-27-2011, 9:34 AM
Experiment with filling from the front and from the back. There is a difference in appearance.

Tim Riley
01-27-2011, 4:42 PM
THEY COME FULL OF MONEY!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh goody!!!! Mine is supposed to arrive sometime early next week (Epilog Helix 24x18/40w). If it comes full of money then it can darn well pay for itself.:p Any comments about LiquaMASK? I'm thinking that might work out better on glass, but how well does it hold up to Color Fill?

Tim

Dee Gallo
01-27-2011, 5:02 PM
THEY COME FULL OF MONEY!?!?!?!?!?!? Oh goody!!!! Mine is supposed to arrive sometime early next week (Epilog Helix 24x18/40w). If it comes full of money then it can darn well pay for itself.:p Any comments about LiquaMASK? I'm thinking that might work out better on glass, but how well does it hold up to Color Fill?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I can see you will fit right in here! hahaha! Welcome to the Creek!

I have not used LiquaMask, but from my experience with other liquid friskets, I would guess that it works best with a spray technique and also that squeegeeing (is that a word?) will compromise the edges too much to make it worthwhile. So that means pick liquid only if you are spraying and tape if you are filling/wiping. There have been some discussions about liquid mask, do a search and see if you can find the thread.

cheers, dee

Robert Walters
01-29-2011, 3:39 PM
Where's a good place to get transfer tape inexpensively (1 or 2 rolls)?
Looking at 4" paper, but the shipping is more than the cost of the tape.

(Haven't these people ever heard of 75lb flat rate from the USPS)

Larry Bratton
01-29-2011, 4:20 PM
You don't indicate where your located Robert, but the best source for transfer tape is from a sign supply house that sells vinyl media. That is actually transfer tapes largest use.

Dave, be aware that some engraving on acrylics don't require filling. Clear cast yields a very pleasing frosty result when engraved. Cast black (or other colors too such as red) will engrave naturally white. You can also fill with Winton's artist oil paint without a mask. I engrave, then just rub the Winton's on with my finger, scape off the excess with a business card, let it dry, then buff off what's left on the acrylic surface.

dave hensley
01-29-2011, 7:15 PM
Good info Larry! Thanks!!

Ferry Griek
01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi i've been experimenting with all kinds of masking myself.
Recently i stumbled on something that looks promising.

In my shop i found a can of releasing agent i used for making polyester moulds. i believe it's PVA Poly Vinyl Alcohol
It's a clear liquid which can be easily applied to the acrylic with a brush. I've dried it in front of a blower for 10 minutes.

Laser through the pva and after that filled the engraved area's with an airbrush-gun.

The PVA is water solluble so i've used an oil-based paint. after drying the paint i soaked the pieve in warm water for 30-60 minutes.

The pva then comes of fairly easy with no scrathing whatsoever.

Especially when you have a lot of small islands it save a lot of weeding.

Ferry.....

Dan Hintz
01-30-2011, 1:09 PM
i believe it's PVA Poly Vinyl Alcohol
Alcohols of any sort can make bad bed partners with acrylics... approach with caution.

Dan Ashlin
01-30-2011, 1:12 PM
Ferry, If i were you, i would steer clear of anything that has vinyl in it, especially a polyvinyl. PVC, i'm guessing PVA and Vinyl are highly caustic to you and your laser. Alcohol is also not good for acrylic.

Dan Hintz
01-30-2011, 1:17 PM
Dan, nothing harmful for the laser from vinyl itself... it's the chlorinated vinyl that's an issue.

Ferry Griek
01-31-2011, 2:47 PM
Hi Dan, thanx for your concern!

I forget to mention that the pva solution i used has been tested for chlorine and/or other noxious chemicals and it apeared to be 100% safe.

The alcohol in the pva is not the kind of alcohol which may cause grazing, i've tested all kinds of acrylic i submersed pieces for several day's, and till now none looks any wors than the moment they went under :)

i'm gonna experiment some more next weekend, and i'll try to shoot some pictures of the results as well

Ferry....

Larry Bratton
01-31-2011, 4:47 PM
Has anyone used this product for mask? http://www.generalchemicalcorp.mybigcommerce.com/products/Laser_ProtectMask_5900.html Looks very interesting. I used some of their other products one time for masking exterior locks from paint being sprayed on the building. It worked pretty good and would just peel right off when done. I may buy a gallon of it, it's less than $50.

Tim Riley
01-31-2011, 10:35 PM
:eek: STAY CLEAR of Vinyl. At 427 degrees farenheit, vinyl starts to break drown and release chlorine. I don't know what the temp is at the focal point but I would bet it's higher than that. If your air and exhaust are strong your :( okay, if not, well let's just say beware of yellow-green vapor.

Tim

dave hensley
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I need some more hand-holding on this. :)

I've found several suppliers of application tape, but none I've contacted so far can recommend a specific type of tape for use with a laser engraver. There's also low, medium, and high tack for some of these. Since I plan on applying the tape to a piece of painted acrylic and then ectching off the areas to be painted, is low tack the best choice? Is it safe to burn off the tape in this manner?

Sorry for all the newb questions. :o

Mike Null
02-01-2011, 4:59 AM
I use the low tack paper tape and raster through it. There have been a number of times I wished I had the medium tack but generally low tack works ok. I burn through it then spray it with water and wipe it off. No weeding.

dave hensley
02-01-2011, 9:00 AM
Thanks Mike! I'll get some samples of both low and medium then and try them out. What is "weeding"? I'm not familiar with that term (well except for what my wife has me doing in the yard :)).

Dave