PDA

View Full Version : I love my low maintenance wife

Jim Mattheiss
01-26-2011, 7:00 PM
I was riding the elevator down with some co-workers while leaving work yesterday. One guy was talking about how his wife bought a nice suitcase but she always wrapped it in a bag while travelling so it wouldn't get damaged, and it drove him crazy.

A woman in the elevator asked jokingly - So was it like a $5,000 bag or something?

The guy responds - No - nothing like THAT, it was only $1,300 dollars.

I was looking across at several of the women as this was said and they all did the OMG face. :eek:

Most of the passengers left on the first floor but myself and one other woman rode to the garage/basement level. I told her that my wife doesn't own any accessories that cost $1,300 and she agreed that she didn't either.

It was just the way he said it - the emphasis was on the "only" $1,300.

I don't really care what people spend their money on. I'm just glad LOML and I have similar value systems. We live a simple lifestyle and are happy.

I have some money tied up in my tools but nothing crazy - probably less than that piece of luggage :D. Ok - maybe not :rolleyes:

Here to happiness!

Cheers

Jim

mickey cassiba
01-26-2011, 7:29 PM
I like mine too. She's almost got me broke in.:-~

John Pratt
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Some of the neighbor women are aghast that my wife doesn't have a bunch of jewelry and other things. She has her wedding and engagement rings of course, but she thinks jewelry is a tremendous waste of money. She thinks cut flowers are riduculous because they die quickly, and is always looking for a bargain on staples for the house. Her idea of a perfect anniversary gift is something for the kitchen or to help maintain the house. Last year she got a new vacuum for her birthday and was estatic. I am a lucky man.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
My wife is a low maintenance wife. There are times when I find it somewhat a pain, however. She won't hesitate to spend money on something for me or another family member and yet squeels if we return the "favor". Today is her last day at work as we both enter into retirement Monday and there is no school tomorrow. She could have retired several years ago but continued working to pay for the empty shell of my shop she had a contractor build.

greg lindsey
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Some of the neighbor women are aghast that my wife doesn't have a bunch of jewelry and other things. She has her wedding and engagement rings of course, but she thinks jewelry is a tremendous waste of money. She thinks cut flowers are riduculous because they die quickly, and is always looking for a bargain on staples for the house. Her idea of a perfect anniversary gift is something for the kitchen or to help maintain the house. Last year she got a new vacuum for her birthday and was estatic. I am a lucky man.

If you weren't in OK, I'd say you were cheatin with my wife, LOL. I married a country gal. We can afford, within reason, whatever we need, however she is a Walmart gal first and foremost, Her friends all shop at the "malls" and some are embarresed to go to Wally World with her to shop for clothes. She dosen't need fancy things to make her feel better, I have tried to tell her to go but that 500.00 or 1000.00 purse she'd like to have, but she ends up comming hope with the 25.00 one she got at Walmart. We have a place in the country (deep piney woods) that was origanally my great grandparent's, we've been restoring for many years, and she'll be out in the front, raking leaves, burning them or riding the tractor (in her shorts and bra) LOL just cracks me up. My grandma would be so proud. Seems odd for someone her age 30, I gots me a keeper. BTW, there are no tractor photos to share at this time :)

Bill Edwards(2)
01-27-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.unclebill.us/bigs/crazy.gif

Wow! and how much do any of you guys have invested in tools?

Just askin'

Bob Turkovich
01-27-2011, 1:14 PM
My wife is a low maintenance wife. There are times when I find it somewhat a pain, however. She won't hesitate to spend money on something for me or another family member and yet squeels if we return the "favor". Today is her last day at work as we both enter into retirement Monday and there is no school tomorrow. She could have retired several years ago but continued working to pay for the empty shell of my shop she had a contractor build.

Low maintenance wife.....high maintenance husband. Further proof that opposites attract! :D

PS: Congrats to both of you on your impending retirements!!!!

Art Mulder
01-27-2011, 8:18 PM
She thinks cut flowers are ridiculous because they die quickly,

Actually I like cut flowers precisely BECAUSE they die. You see my LOML is as frugal as some of the ladies I'm reading about here, so if I buy her an actual plant instead of cut flowers, then I know she'll be keeping it forever and trying to get it to bloom some more. (I think we still have our 2009 - nine, not ten - poinsetta from Christmas, sigh...)

Tim Janssen
01-27-2011, 8:57 PM
I'm lucky that way too
Not like this poor guy: http://www.maniacworld.com/Beware-of-the-Doghouse.html

Tim

Belinda Barfield
01-28-2011, 6:46 AM
Congrats to all of you who are lucky enough to have good wives, low or high maintenance, and congrats to the wives because you guys actually realize that you have keepers. :)

This past sumemr we had a visit from a couple that are lifelong friends of my SO. I noticed that the wife kept her purse in sight at all times and kept pulling it close to her side. I don't know designers from ditch diggers so it didn't click with me that this was a "brand" purse. At some point the husband mentioned that the purse was an anniversary gift and that it cost "only" $1400. All I could think of was how much I'd rather have that $1400 in my $10 on sale purse . . . the black one that I carry year round and will continue to do until it falls apart.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being maintained at a high level - it's kind of fun, but I don't require it. At one point I was married to a man that thought I hung the moon. He kept a list of any and everything about me and always gave the best gifts. It's hard to beat getting a 'Vette for a birthday gift . . .

I think I'll go point out to my SO how lucky he is to have me!:rolleyes::D Actually, I think I'l go point out how lucky I am to have him!

Bill Edwards(2)
01-28-2011, 7:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-wYGK4ius

John Shuk
01-28-2011, 8:50 AM
My wife actually gets mad if I buy her expensive jewelry. I've had to return it for other stuff.

Glenn Clabo
01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't consider my wife something to be maintained. She'd worked REAL hard her whole life...so she's earned the right to like fine jewelry...nice clothes...or a closet full of shoes. I'm VERY proud of her and her accomplishments...AND certainly don't look down on her for spending the money she has earned.
By the why...it works the other way also...she certainly is fine with my like of good beer...nice cameras...sports events...and even that once in a while Tommy Bahama shirt. After all...I've worked my butt off to get here also.

ps...How in the world can you guys talk about about "maintaining" your wife...when all someone has to do is mention Lee Valley and the saliva starts flowing like my lab when she see's a biscuit?