PDA

View Full Version : Does any use Netflix?

Brian Effinger
01-26-2011, 5:12 PM
I've been thinking of signing up for Netflix, but I'm not sure if I should. They seem to be pushing the image that they are a streaming service, with dvd's, but it appears to be just the opposite. A DVD service with some steaming. I've been looking through their catalog, and the streaming selection is spotty - especially when it comes to new releases and more popular movies. I know I can add unlimited dvd's (one at a time) for another $2, but it's the streaming that really interests me.

So what are your experiences with it? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it.

Thanks. :)

Montgomery Scott
01-26-2011, 5:22 PM
Once TV went digital I ditched traditional TV and went with Netflix only. Their streaming content has slowly expanded but still is only about 10% of their total titles. I still can get just about any TV series I find enjoyable; just have to wait a year once it's released to DVD. A small price to pay to avoid untold hours of commercial interruptions. Old series like Twilght Zone or Alfred Hitchcock Presents not available anywhere else are available through netflix.

Eric DeSilva
01-26-2011, 5:44 PM
I was going to ditch Cable TV in favor of NF, but they made me an offer when I went to downgrade my service, so I've got both on-demand and NF now. There is a lot of stuff on NF I want to see, but it isn't the latest TV shows or newest movies. And they don't have streaming rights from all the studios either, so there's some stuff I've given up waiting on. I kind of think NF+Hulu would be a good combination (I don't like the Apple iTunes store model), but I like the convenience of my Apple TV, which doesn't play nice with Hulu.

Erik France
01-26-2011, 5:51 PM
I really like it. I first got Netflix Christmas before last as the Blueray player I picked up also did streaming Netflix and a few other apps. (pandora is another app I like). I signed up for the trial and immediately loved it. I upgraded my account to have two movies out at a time, especially useful if I'm watching a multiple DVD series. It also allows me to take my time to get around to watching a film, and let the wife not complain about her selection being delayed. I can also stream movies onto one of my computers in my office.

I picked up a HDTV for the the upstairs bedroom a couple months ago. I made sure it is internet capable. The Netflix interface on the TV will allow me to browse and search too. The older blueray player will only display your online queue you load on a computer.

Larry Frank
01-26-2011, 8:27 PM
I love my Netflix for both streaming and for DVDs. The service is very fast for me so I can send a DVD back on Monday and have the next one on my list Wednesday or Thursday. The quality of the streaming video is good and depends on your internet service speed. I do not buy any DVDs anymore and just get them from Netflix.

Rick Prosser
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Been using Netflix since it started and really enjoy it. I mostly get DVDs, but have occasionally stream something. Very quick turn around service.

Randy Davidson
01-27-2011, 8:24 AM
Another vote for Netflix. They have a very fast turnaround on dvd rental and the streaming is steadily growing.

Derek Gilmer
01-27-2011, 9:09 AM
The selection of movie streaming is hit or miss thanks to movie companies I believe. But there are LOTS of great tv shows to stream. I think we stream more shows now than we watch on satellite. To the point where we are probably going to drop satellite or cable all together.

Burt Alcantara
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I have the 1 DVD out plan. Most of the DVDs that I get are foreign, and are not available locally. I usually have a queue for both DVDs and streaming but generally get both on impulse. I'd ditch TV but my wife wants it. The problems with NF are few and far between (lost DVD, streaming goes down).'

Highly recommended!

greg lindsey
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I've had a NF acount before, mailed dvd service, Haven't tried the streaming version yet, but did hear about poor content from friends who have it. I am a Redbox fan, if you have one close, I have about 10 within a mile of me, these things are going up everywhere. I like the $1 a night rental, get it, watch it, drop it off on the way out the next day. $1, for me I can't beat that deal. I also like the $1.50 Blu Ray rental, hell of a lot cheaper than buying them, which I'll probaly watch once.

johnny means
01-27-2011, 2:37 PM
My family loves NF. We have the 3 dvd and streaming plan and have had the same 3 dvds for months now. Streaming content is sparse if you are looking for fresh out the theater type stuff. But for us there is a plethora of content. My kids enjoy older horror flix and campy cult films, while my wife and I enjoy foreign films. I find it hard to see how someone could not find plenty of enjoyable films in a library of thousands. But, like I said if you are very specific about watching last summers blockbusters, it may not be for you.

BTW NF IMO is going to be a juggernaut in the industry, almost any new tv has NF built in along with Xbox and Wii , which is how we stream. With this type of clout it can't be long until they get all the content they want.

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 2:49 PM
I've been thinking of signing up for Netflix, but I'm not sure if I should. They seem to be pushing the image that they are a streaming service, with dvd's, but it appears to be just the opposite. A DVD service with some steaming. I've been looking through their catalog, and the streaming selection is spotty - especially when it comes to new releases and more popular movies. I know I can add unlimited dvd's (one at a time) for another $2, but it's the streaming that really interests me.

So what are your experiences with it? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it.

Thanks. :)There are two parts to the service - discs and streaming. Their disc service is unparalleled and is great. Their streaming service works very well and you can even stream HD on certain platforms (PS3, etc.). However, as you've noted the selection is not that great. To understand why, you need to understand how movies are released, particularly blockbusters. Netflix can't just rip a disc and put it on their servers, they need to own the broadcast rights for that film. A movie will start out in mainline theaters and eventually transition to the dollar theaters around town. Once out of theaters, the studio will license the exclusive broadcast rights to the highest bidder. Often this is pay-per-view because they can charge more per movie. This bidding process occurs every few months and the value of the broadcast rights continues to decrease (so HBO would win for a bit, then cable, then NBC, etc.). At a certain point Netflix can afford the price for the rights. For less successful movies, the studio will often grant a yearly batch license to Netflix (i.e. a large part of their yearly catalog for a flat rate). Now, the good news is that Netflix has found a way around the large initial broadcast rights fees. They will simply lease the rights from HBO or whomever owns the rights at that time. You may have noticed this with the Stars / Showtime offerings on Netflix streaming. Hopefully Netflix can cut a deal with these other cable networks and expand their streaming library.

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 2:52 PM
BTW NF IMO is going to be a juggernaut in the industry, almost any new tv has NF built in along with Xbox and Wii , which is how we stream. With this type of clout it can't be long until they get all the content they want.It is already a juggernaut. Over 20% of all evening network traffic in the U.S. is consumed by Netflix streams.

Brian Effinger
01-27-2011, 5:09 PM
BTW NF IMO is going to be a juggernaut in the industry, almost any new tv has NF built in along with Xbox and Wii , which is how we stream. With this type of clout it can't be long until they get all the content they want.
That's actually why I'm looking right now. I picked up a compatible blu-ray in December (Sony s570 from amazon for less than $140 w/ built-in wi-fi - woo hoo!).

Now, the good news is that Netflix has found a way around the large initial broadcast rights fees. They will simply lease the rights from HBO or whomever owns the rights at that time. You may have noticed this with the Stars / Showtime offerings on Netflix streaming. Hopefully Netflix can cut a deal with these other cable networks and expand their streaming library.
I did notice that Greg. I was wondering what that was about. I have Verizon Fios and I know I can stream starz and hbo to my computer, so this must be very similar.

Speaking of Fios, I have noticed that when watching a movie from video-on-demand, I sometimes get pixelation fragments when watching an HD movie. Have any of you experienced this with NF? I'm not sure if it has to do with my internet download speed or not. I don't recall what it is off of the top of my head, but I may increase the speed.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Pat Germain
01-27-2011, 5:51 PM
I really like NetFlix. Sure, the Red Box is cheap and convenient, but the selection is abysmal. If you want to rent the latest Jennifer Anniston romantic comedy drivel, Red Box is where it's at. However, I'm a bit more selective. My local Blockbuster almost never had what I wanted. (OK, I admit it. I'm a movie snob.) Of course, Red Box is also great for a recent family movie release. It will keep the kids happy. :)

The best part about NetFlix? They have pretty much anything available on DVD. Never caught "Two Lane Blacktop" during its very limited 1970 release? NetFlix has it. Like to watch "Mad Men", but missed the first two seasons? They're available from NetFlix.

Like documentaries? They're all on NetFlix. Try finding those at your local Blockbuster.

FYI, there's a reason it's called "NetFlix" and not "DVDs by Mail". They are working very hard to make most of their content available online. However, as others have pointed out, the current distribution policies are an absolute mess.

Jeff Caskie
01-27-2011, 6:18 PM
We had blockbuster direct which we were very happy with. Received up to three dvd's within standard few days via mail. We could exchange them for free at our local brick & mortar outlet if we needed something faster. Switched to NF when our local BB shut down and we heard all the positive reviews and talk about streaming. We are very disappointed with NF and will be switching back to BB. The delivery was fast, but selection was horrible. We only watch movies that are just out of the box-office and BB has NF beat hands-down in that regard. Very few movies actual are available to stream. BB has a better web interface and makes it easier to find new releases.... As opposed to NF which likes to show you old movies (yrs old) that were just made avail by them. Two different animals. We would have to lookup movies on BB then try to find them on NF (usually not avail... Or not able to stream). Maybe as they continue to grow, their buying power will increase and things will improve... but right now, BB offers more of what we are looking for. We may still keep the $9 streaming option... or just pay the fee to itunes or cable if we really want to see an older movie. YMMV

Pat Germain
01-27-2011, 6:58 PM
We had blockbuster direct which we were very happy with. Received up to three dvd's within standard few days via mail. We could exchange them for free at our local brick & mortar outlet if we needed something faster. Switched to NF when our local BB shut down and we heard all the positive reviews and talk about streaming. We are very disappointed with NF and will be switching back to BB. The delivery was fast, but selection was horrible. We only watch movies that are just out of the box-office and BB has NF beat hands-down in that regard. Very few movies actual are available to stream. BB has a better web interface and makes it easier to find new releases.... As opposed to NF which likes to show you old movies (yrs old) that were just made avail by them. Two different animals. We would have to lookup movies on BB then try to find them on NF (usually not avail... Or not able to stream). Maybe as they continue to grow, their buying power will increase and things will improve... but right now, BB offers more of what we are looking for. We may still keep the $9 streaming option... or just pay the fee to itunes or cable if we really want to see an older movie. YMMV

Enjoy it while you can. Blockbuster is currently in Chapter 11 and will likely go belly-up any day now.

Ted Calver
01-27-2011, 7:08 PM
Somebody likes Netflix... their stock was up $27.84 (over 15%) today....and I didn't have any :(

Shawn Christ
01-27-2011, 7:31 PM
Have it. Love it. Best part is there's no contract so try it for a couple months and see what you think. I want to drop Dish Network and rely on an antenna, Netflix, Hulu, and the internet for TV -- but so far my wife and kids aren't that enthused about the idea.

Oh, and regarding the pixelation, I have streamed one HD movie via Netflix and it seemed fine to me, no better or worse than the downgraded HD you would see on cable or satellite, but not as good as blu-ray. We subscribe to an entry-level DSL service from AT&T.

Amazon also has a video-on-demand streaming service; haven't tried it yet so I'm not familiar with the price or selection.

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 7:35 PM
Speaking of Fios, I have noticed that when watching a movie from video-on-demand, I sometimes get pixelation fragments when watching an HD movie. Have any of you experienced this with NF? I'm not sure if it has to do with my internet download speed or not. I don't recall what it is off of the top of my head, but I may increase the speed.Most people with high speed internet see 5MB or higher download speeds which is more than enough for video streaming. Go to www.speedtest.net and test your connection speed. If you have a slow ping or download speed then you need to complain to your ISP.

If the pixelation is only during on-demand programs versus netflix streaming then you should complain to your ISP. There are a wide variety of factors that come into play (your box, your connection speed, where are their servers, what software is being used on both ends, etc., etc.).

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 7:40 PM
Oh, and regarding the pixelation, I have streamed one HD movie via Netflix and it seemed fine to me, no better or worse than the downgraded HD you would see on cable or satellite, but not as good as blu-ray. We subscribe to an entry-level DSL service from AT&T.I stream through a PS3 onto a home theater projection system (i.e. huge screen where defects are very noticeable). I agree, the Netflix HD streaming quality is very good when compared to other services. You have to be careful and make sure that it gives you full bars + the HD symbol, otherwise it is throttling your stream (due to non-ideal connections, etc.). I also agree that is falls short of Bluray and well short of live over-the-air broadcasts.

Jeff Caskie
01-27-2011, 9:02 PM
Enjoy it while you can. Blockbuster is currently in Chapter 11 and will likely go belly-up any day now.

No doubt about it... BB missed the boat in regards to streaming and the vending machines. They really need to open their api's up to other vendors/manuf. and make steaming avail on all devices. If they don't... Maybe they will go belly up. I hope they can remain in business... as well as netflix (and others) so it keeps the price for us as low as possible.

Jim Becker
01-27-2011, 9:45 PM

Yes, we have Netflix for both DVD and streaming. We started out streaming to our Wii, but I just bought an AppleTV to get higher quality streaming. Your assessment of the service is essentially correct for the moment. The number of titles available for instant download is not as robust as the DVD/BlueRay library. That's not completely Netflix's fault, however. The movie houses have been putting many restrictions on what/when streaming of certain titles can happen. Some don't allow it at all currently. Some only allow for older titles. If you are looking for TV series streaming, there is a little more variety than there is with movies at present. I believe that over time, the instant download library will get a lot better as the movie houses start to accept that the public wants to be served this way. The cost structure may change, however. For example, it's been reported that HBO insists that Netflix's subscription is too little money...HBO feels that Netflix should be charging closer to $20 a month, rather than the $7-10 that they are charging. BTW, don't write off their DVD service. We find that we get 2-day turnaround most of the time which is nice since our subscription only allows for one title out at a time.

Jim Becker
01-27-2011, 9:52 PM
Speaking of Fios, I have noticed that when watching a movie from video-on-demand, I sometimes get pixelation fragments when watching an HD movie. Have any of you experienced this with NF? I'm not sure if it has to do with my internet download speed or not. I don't recall what it is off of the top of my head, but I may increase the speed.

While this could be an issue with your service, many folks have reported pixelation issues with certain VOD channels. It's the stuff feeding that VOD, not your VZ connection, per se. I haven't watched much VOD on FiOS simply because I'm not subscribed to the channels that have what I would want to watch.

Erik France
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh, and regarding the pixelation, I have streamed one HD movie via Netflix and it seemed fine to me, no better or worse than the downgraded HD you would see on cable or satellite, but not as good as blu-ray. We subscribe to an entry-level DSL service from AT&T.Another thing I like about the streaming Netflix over the streaming on-demand content I get from my Charter Cable is the sound quality. Quite often the on-demand is not in proper surround.

Bryan Morgan
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Another happy Netflix user here. The only complaint I have is that their streaming selection is kind of weak. Supposedly the latest fee increase is to buy more rights to more content but I haven't seen it yet.

I stream mostly with a WDTV and it works great. I've also used the Wii, and the Xbox360 and they work ok too, not not as well.

Michael Schneider
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Brian,

I do the streaming only subscription for netflix. My wife and I are way behind on movies, so the movies are new to us:-)

I have been "watching" hulu for current TV shows. You might take a peek at hulu's pay option also.

Good luck,
Michael

Thanks. :)

Brian Effinger
01-28-2011, 9:57 PM
Brian,

I do the streaming only subscription for netflix. My wife and I are way behind on movies, so the movies are new to us:-)

I have been "watching" hulu for current TV shows. You might take a peek at hulu's pay option also.

Good luck,
Michael
Hulu has been in the back of my mind too, so I just checked them out. They have and impressive quantity of tv shows. It looks like most current prime time tv is there that I can stream to the computer or my blu-ray (with the paid subscription). Of course they seem to suffer from some of the same licensing issues that netflix does. Hopefully with time, the networks and movie studios will wise up that the future is streaming instant content, and there won't be these issues with either service.

I think for the time being, I'm going to sign up for the free month of netflix and try it out. My wife is having hand surgery on Tuesday, and will have some free time for the next few weeks with no lifting, etc. As for hulu, I think we'll try out the free side on the computer as well.

Eric Franklin
01-29-2011, 3:04 PM
I've been using Netflix streaming for a while and have been happy with it. My main complaint besides selection is that most of the movies are in SD. I also miss having surround sound, though the PS3 does offer surround sound support with Netflix streaming but there is a very small selection that support that.

I've been checking out other streaming movie services such as Amazon VOD and Vudu. I like Amazon VOD but my Roku XD keeps re-buffering HD content. I think it's a Roku issue that I haven't spent enough time troubleshooting. Vudu through a PS3 is really nice with there HDX quality(1080p & Dolby Digital Plus 5.1) but it's $4.99 to $5.99 a movie and requires at the minimum 4.5Mb internet connection.