PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a scraper plane?

Acharya Kumarswami
01-26-2011, 5:05 PM
I've been thinking about getting a LVally scraper plane and wonder what experience other woodworkers have had with scraper planes.

Do those of you who own one use it much?

I'm thinking that perhaps the simple card scraper is adequate.
Looking for input.

David Weaver
01-26-2011, 5:08 PM
I had the big one and the LN small scraper. I don't use a scraper plane much, but when I do, i was always using the LN small scraper, even on bigger stuff, like panels, because they always move a little before I get to them and I don't want to have to reflatten them to the point I can use the large scraper plane.

I sold the big LV last year because I don't like to keep planes I don't use - takes too much time to screw around pulling them out a couple of times a year to make sure they're not rusting in my shop.

Zach Dillinger
01-26-2011, 5:08 PM
Card scrapers are perfectly adequate, but the plane would come in really handy if you had a large area to finish. Say, for example, you were finishing a tabletop made of curly maple. That plane would certainly save your thumbs the abuse that card scraping that large of a surface would provide. If you frequently make large flat surfaces, I say go for it. If not, I'd find somewhere else to spend my money. Others may disagree, of course.

Sam Takeuchi
01-26-2011, 5:25 PM
I have LV scraper plane and I use it a lot. If you have large area to scrape, scraper plane will produce more uniform and flat surface. You can even use it as finisher if you don't want scraped surface to stand out. Card scraper are generally more suitable for spot work and small areas, but you can use it on a large board, too, for light duty scraping. So if you plan to have a lot of scraping on large boards, go with scraper plane. If not, card scraper will suffice. Either way, you should have card scrapers regardless, if you haven't felt the need for scraper plane, you probably don't need one.

Tony Zaffuto
01-26-2011, 5:59 PM
I'm with Zach and Dave on this one. I use card scrapers a lot. I have the large LV, but hardly ever use it. I have a small LN that get's used, but not all the time. For Christmas this past year, my wife got me the LV scraper shave and I really like it for edge work. I have quite a few of ball-joint handled scrapers and one of those, Stanley 82 (IIRC) get's a lot of use. I simply prepare the blade in it like a card scraper and the knob and handle work very well.

I also have a LN 85 that has the blade prepared, but that's as close as it has ever got to work (what can I say? For birthday and Christmas, my wife shops LV and LN.

Chris Fournier
01-26-2011, 6:21 PM
Stanley #81 is a nice compromise between card scraper and plane. Dirt cheap too and there are new versions of it being made by others that are very nice.

Jim R Edwards
01-26-2011, 7:36 PM
I have the large LV scraper plane, LN 212, Stanley 12, 12 1/2, and 80. I also have a Sargent 53 and my favorite is the LN 212. They all work great but the planes I use the most are the LV and LN. I just finished a dresser and book shelf in Sapele and I could have never done it without the scrapers.

Jeff Bartley
01-26-2011, 8:32 PM
I've had good luck with a Stanley #80; one note though, it does work best with a freshly prepared blade. I haven't really compared notes with anyone else as to how they prepare the blade but when I put a hook on mine the cut was too aggressive and it chattered a lot. Chattering was actually the word a friend used to describe his experience with the #80. Best thing about the #80 is that they can be had for 20-30 bucks....
All that being said; I'd sure love try one of those LN 212's!

James Taglienti
01-26-2011, 8:58 PM
i use my card scrapers the most, followed by my stanley 80. my 112 is really just taking up space. but i work mostly with straight grained domestics.

i have never said "thank god for that 112!"

if i could have just one type of scraper plane it would be an 80

Casey Gooding
01-26-2011, 9:19 PM
I have tried, and tried, and tried but have never had any luck with scraper planes. Come to think of it, I've never had much luck with card scrapers, either. For me, scraper planes have always left lots of chatter and the burr wears out quickly. The burrs on my card scrapers also seem to disappear after just a few swipes. I think I'm just scraper cursed.

Jim R Edwards
01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I bought mine used with the intention of selling it but when I got home and started using it I was amazed at how well it worked. It didn’t take long to realize that I would not be selling this tool! It fits perfectly in my hand and it’s very easy for me to control. I use it on large panels and small stock. In my opinion it’s perfect for cleaning up a section of tear out. I am kind of surprised that it doesn’t get more press than it does, it’s a real gem and well worth the price.

Acharya Kumarswami
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Is yours the large Lee Valley scraper?

Terry Beadle
01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I use a Stanley #80, prepared as recommended by David Charlesworth. I only use it to areas that need heavier scraping work and use the card scraper to finish it off. The #80 is worth every penny and cheap to keep around. It has a bit of a learning curve to set the blade up and adjust but once you get the hang of it, it works great.

I will also say that the use of a #80 is quite dependent upon how well your stock is prepared prior to the finishing. It's strength is on curly or knarlly wood. African Mahogany is a good example where a #80 can really save sweat equity. If you have prepared the surfaces of the stock with good plane edges, a #80 or plane scraper is not needed as much.

Advice is 2cents and worth every penny.... hoot!

Jeff Bartley
01-27-2011, 1:28 PM
Terry,
How does David Charlesworth prepare the blade?

Jim R Edwards
01-27-2011, 4:05 PM
"Is yours the large Lee Valley scraper? "

Yes I have the LV large scraper with the thick A2 blade. Very nice scraper. I use it first and then reach for my LN 212 to clean up the rest.

Mike Brady
01-31-2011, 4:31 PM
If you like the Stanley No. 80, you will really be happy with the LV version of the 80. Just like with planes, the modern machining and extra weight, along with good steel make a big difference.

I have to add a caution to readers about the above comments comparing card scrapers to scraper planes: Both work, but if you use a card scraper to fix small areas of tearout you can easily create low spots in your surface that remain unnoticed until a finish is applied. A scraper plane will maintain a flat surface spread over a wider area around the problem spot.