PDA

View Full Version : Q: Powerfeed wheels for Melamine

Kim Carleton Graves
04-12-2003, 9:34 AM
Hi Guys,

This last week I cut up 70 sheets of melamine for a cabinet project I’m working on. In order to put a rabbit on one edge to accept the back panel, I put the panels through my router table using my powerfeed. But because melamine is so slick the wheels didn’t grip very well. Are there wheels made especially for melamine? Anyone have a source?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Sweeney
04-12-2003, 1:49 PM
Welcome to the creek! :cool:

I'm just guessing here but couldn't you put some type of tread on the rollers? I'm thinking slicing through the first 1/2" of rollers towards the center hub, all the way around the rollers. This might give them more grip. Or perhaps cutting an inner tube or a piece of neoprene rubber & gluing it to the rollers might give more grip.

This might be a bit tedious so it depends how much you use melamine. Maybe just scuffing the rollers with course sandpaper might work?

Also I think you can find softer rollers that might grip better.

I think a lot of the regulars that might be able to answer you better are out at the EOP gathering - so I figured I' pitch in with a guess. :rolleyes:

Bobby Hatfield
04-12-2003, 2:31 PM
Kim, check out this site, they will have more info probably than any other. http://www.westernroller.com What are you doing, competing with the cabinet shops or didn't like their price for cabinets for yourself. You keeping a full class ?

Von Bickley
04-12-2003, 9:56 PM
Welcome Kim,

I can't help you with the melamine question but I can say "Welcome to the Creek". Always enjoy seeing your posts on the other forums. Hope to see a lot here at the creek.

Keith Outten
04-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Kim,

I would visit your local Lowes or possibly an electrical supply and purchase a roll of soft rubber tape. Since the tape is adhesive backed you can remove the tape when the job is done, thus you don't damage your rollers. There is some very high tech tape available these days, some of it is very soft or you could look at the electrical self healing tape that is very sticky.

Ted Calver
04-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Kim,
I'd try this: Spend ten bucks on a gum rubber bike innertube, cut some appropriately sized sections and stretch them over the power feeder wheels. The gum rubber is soft and stretchy and might be just the trick for the melamine.

Tony Pearson
04-13-2003, 2:22 AM
Kim, Have you considered using the spray adhesive used for sanding sheets on ROS? It might work. Good Luck

Tony
:)