PDA

View Full Version : Edge Leg Joinery - What would you do?

Matt Woessner
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I am building a train table for my son (Thomas Train). I have design the table and have almost all of the structure frame pieces cut. To attach the legs I will be edge joining them to the front face of the table which will accept 2 drawers. The width I am working with is 5.5 inches. I am considering using pocket screws and biscuits. Should I use both? More screws than biscuits? Only use one type?

I figured on 4 screws two top and two bottom and a biscuit in the middle?

I am trying to engineer this to a factor of five (5 children on top of the table the second you are looking) and it not collapse. Please let me know your thoughts.

david brum
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
If your apron (front face) is plywood, then four pocket screws should work great. I don't personally think that this is a place where biscuit joinery is at it's best, unless you're using the biscuit for alignment. There just isn't much glue surface for such a stressed joint. The toughest part for me would be clamping the parts together so they don't migrate as you're attaching the pocket screws.

If the apron is solid wood, you could always do a loose tenon.

Matt Woessner
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the replay. All of my stock is solid walnut 3/4.

I would like to try a loose tenon, however, I am not comfortable trying this yet, and on a time crunch. So I am hoping the pocket screws will work best for me, and or biscuits.

Josiah Bartlett
01-26-2011, 3:26 PM
I would have used tenons as well, but since you don't feel comfortable with that, at least back up the corners with some triangular gussets behind the aprons. Pocket screws should hold OK in walnut. I wouldn't bother with biscuits.

Chris Padilla
01-26-2011, 3:45 PM
If you feel clamping this up while the glue dries might be challenging, go ahead and use the pocket screws and they will be your clamps. Be sure to use the appropriate screws for hardwood and I would hand torque them in.

I would go ahead and use the biscuits. In this case, the biscuit is a floating tenon.

Pat Barry
01-26-2011, 5:39 PM
Matt, It would be useful if you could provide a sketch or photo of the apron construction (assuming its 3/4 thickness by 5.5" high from your description). Does the apron wrap all around the table top (all four sides)? Were you thinking of just using 3/4 stock for the legs? Are you going to edge glue two of these at 90 deg to make a leg assembly? DO you want the legs to be flush to the apron? This kind of info would be useful to give you better feedback.

Rick Lizek
01-26-2011, 7:06 PM
I would use hanger bolts on the legs so you can break the table down to store in the future. You can use corner blocks attached to the apron or buy metal brackets to do the same thing. Avery sturdy yet flexible option.
A

Matt Woessner
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Rick, that is a great idea as well. Thanks for the tip!