PDA

View Full Version : Dado Blade

Greg Griswold
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Howdy all,

I am about to purchase my "last" dado set but need some advise. I am looking at the 8" Freud Super Dado set, and the Forrest Deluxe Dado King. At $199.99 and $299.99, I want to make the correct decision the first time.

I have had "wobble" type dado blades, and cheap stacked sets in the past. I have never been able to get a decent dado. Always lots of cleanup left to do by hand. Just not satisfied with the cuts received on the ones that I have tried.

I sure would like to hear from some of you, who use these dado sets, about how you made your decision and if you would purchase the same set again.

Thanks a lot.

Greg

Steve Griffin
01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I have the forrest only, so I can't comment on both.

It's awesome, but has one weakness--cutting with the grain. If you are rabbiting solid wood, or putting in a 1/4" groove for drawer bottoms, it's similar to using a crosscut blade for ripping--slow and burn prone.

That's not a bad thing--it's optimized for sheet goods or crossscut in hardwoods.

The good news is your cheap set of blades, if they are low tooth count like mine, work very well with the grain.

-Steve

Caleb Larru
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
If you want the Forrest Dado King, I know of a distributor that sells them to me for $250. PM me if you are interested.

Darrin Davis
01-26-2011, 1:43 PM
Freud Super Dado! With -12 degree hook on it's teeth it leave NO tearout on the underside of the plywood.

Michael Schneider
01-26-2011, 4:10 PM
Howdy all,

I am about to purchase my "last" dado set but need some advise. I am looking at the 8" Freud Super Dado set, and the Forrest Deluxe Dado King. At $199.99 and $299.99, I want to make the correct decision the first time.

I have had "wobble" type dado blades, and cheap stacked sets in the past. I have never been able to get a decent dado. Always lots of cleanup left to do by hand. Just not satisfied with the cuts received on the ones that I have tried.

I sure would like to hear from some of you, who use these dado sets, about how you made your decision and if you would purchase the same set again.

Thanks a lot.

Greg

Greg,

Amazon has the forrest for $230

http://www.amazon.com/Forrest-DK08244-8-inch-32-inch-Width/dp/B0000223VZ

Michael

Paul McGaha
01-26-2011, 4:31 PM
Freud Super Dado user here.

Very happy with it. It's been great.

David Hostetler
01-26-2011, 5:18 PM
I kind of wish that shops like Rockler and Woodcraft would have a way for users to test various blades out. I have an Oshlun SDS-0630 (6" due to limits on my saw) that leaves really nice dadoes. No experience rabbeting with it though, I use my router for that...

Do you have a local WW club? Maybe you could get with some members to try out various dadoes...

Van Huskey
01-26-2011, 6:19 PM
I have had or have currently the Freud (super), Tenryu and Forrest and quite frankly I would buy the one I could get the best deal on. I doubt I will ever need another dado set as I have moved away from using them as much as a result of my changing techniques if I do though chances are it will be a Freud mainly due to price.

Chris Fournier
01-26-2011, 6:28 PM
Used a Freud 8" dado set for over 15 years and I wouldn't pay a penny more than what I spent on it because it was fantastic. A clean dado bottom has everything to do with the sharpening so have a reputable company do your sharpening and make sure that the stack cuts at the same height when you get it new and back from sharpening.

Bill Geyer
01-26-2011, 6:32 PM
I have the Freud super dado and a Ridge dado set. The Ridge is fabulous, much better than the Freud (IMO) and cost far less than the Forrest set. I recommend it highly.

Peter Quinn
01-26-2011, 6:46 PM
Check out infinity dadonator too. I hear these are great, I haven't used them but do like all mu infinity stuff to date.

Between the Freud and Forrest, I've used multiple versions of both professionally, and either is a fine choice. The Forrest may make a bit better bottom surface, but who cares about the aesthetics of a dado bottom? They both make clean accurate cuts with minimal tear out. Hard to go wrong.

Gene Waara
01-26-2011, 7:07 PM
I replaced a very old, cheap, CM dado with the Super Dado and LOVE it. I really like being able to "tweak" the width to exactly what I need. It also didn't hurt that I bought it from a CL listing for $75. Ex-wife was cleaning out some of what he left behind. I don't think it was even used. I even paid full asking price. :rolleyes:

scott spencer
01-26-2011, 8:54 PM
I'd definitely put the Infinity Dadonator at the top of the list. Very impressive. Very low tearout, very smooth cuts, smaller bat ears than any set I've seen (nearly unnoticeable). It's design and tooth configuration give it some advantage over other premium sets.

Here's my Epinions review (http://www0.epinions.com/review/Infinity_Tools_Dadonator_Dado_Set_SDB_800_epi/content_450572553860) of it.

Doug Walls
01-27-2011, 1:03 AM
I have the 8” Freud Supper Dado & I like it a lot! It works great on my 1½ HP Ridgid 3650 saw & makes really clean flat bottom cuts. I only have one small problem & that's with my saw, The arbor will only allow me a 3/4” max. cut.

Jeff Monson
01-27-2011, 8:57 AM
I've owned a Freud super dado and a Forrest dado king, they are both really nice sets. I really like the freud for the nice
storage case, its quick and easy to put away. I like the cut and the magnetic shims on the Forrest better though. You'd be very happy with either one.

Thomas L. Miller
01-27-2011, 9:46 AM
Greg,
I have both. I bought the 6" Forrest when I had an underpowered contractor saw. I sold the contractor saw and bought a SawStop ICS and a Freud "dial-o-matic" 8" dado, since the ICS requires an 8" dado set. I have enjoyed both dado sets. They both make very nice cuts and are easy enough to adjust and set up. You would probably be happy with either. I've put the 6" Forrest dado set on my radial arm saw and it works very nicely.
Tom

Mike Schuch
02-03-2011, 9:40 PM
The 8" Freud regular dado set I have has always given me a decent cut without much tear out but it has never given a perfectly flat smooth bottom. I got an ebay deal on a used Amana 12" dado set that I like a lot better... very smooth bottoms!

Callan Campbell
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Greg, can't speak for the Forrest set since I've owned a Freud set for years. Does all that I ask of it, doesn't seem to matter with or against the grain. I bought the metal shim set from Freud at the same time to allow dialing in cuts for weird plywood thicknesses. Plus 1 on the nice plastic storage case too.

bill kaminski
02-04-2011, 7:57 AM
HI Greg, I have an Oshlun 8" that I bought on sale 55.00 IIRC. Did not cut well, but that was somewhat expected. Took it to my very good friend who has a saw sharpening shop. Sells whatever you want also. The blade now does exactly what I wanted to do. Contact Hoffman Saw @ AOL .com ... They are located in Elkhart Indiana. IMHO he can and will make you happy. regards bill PS. PM me if you would like to talk w/me.

glenn bradley
02-04-2011, 8:58 AM
There's a few really nice sets out there and most have been mentioned here. I have the SD508 so cannot comment on others (except I had a wobble at one time too). I wanted the SD608 for the ease of adjustment. I have developed my method of using an undersized stack and making multiple passes for many applications. This was probably a result in the SD608 not fitting my saw and an aversion to fiddling with shims ;-)

If it would fit I would check the SD608. If not, the upper-end brands mentioned here should give good results. Check the reviews for those that actually yield a flat bottom if that is important to you. I don't know that the few top dollar models that leave "bat ears" aren't made well. It could be that a totally flat bottom is just secondary in their design, otherwise they would have it. Its not like achieving it is beyond their manufacturing skills. Choose the one that gives the result that is important to you.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi, I have the FS Tools dado, it produces a perfectly smooth bottom.

I've included a poor quality photograph of a groove in red oak.......Rod.

Greg Griswold
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks Guys. I have really appreciated the information and suggestions. I ordered a Freud yesterday on Amazon (with free shipping). Should be here next week.

Greg