PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Saw.

Stewie Simpson
01-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi all. For those that have been following my lousy attempts at trying to design a decent handle for my dovetail saw, this is the latest and hopefully the last.

Regards Stewie, http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/1st%20dovetail%20saw/SDC10734.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/1st%20dovetail%20saw/SDC10735.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/1st%20dovetail%20saw/SDC10733.jpg

Ray Gardiner
01-26-2011, 5:02 AM
Hi Stewie,

Nice work, I can't see that one breaking any time soon! Very solid. ;)

You definately have some artistic talent for unique designs. Just a few questions,

What wood is that?, at first glance I thought it might be Jarrah, but on second glance I'm less sure.

The shape transitions are nicely made and look good. Although I have a personal preference for the traditional designs. I like seeing your interpretations.

I hope there is more to come.

Regards
Ray

Marv Werner
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Stewie,

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like it.

Hope it's not your last one.

Are you left handed? It's the saw nuts.

If you were to make the same basic design again, is there anything you would do differently?

john brenton
01-26-2011, 1:37 PM
I don't think anyone here would describe any of your experiments as "lousy". The bottom line is that most people expect a saw handle to look like the classic handles of yesteryear, which I agree cannot be beaten. Your designs are cool, but I'm glad you left the Homer Simpson mouth off of this one. There was another thing that it reminded me of but I can't say it here.

Dan Andrews
01-26-2011, 1:47 PM
It looks very comfortable. That would be especialy good on a big rip saw where you were using quite a bit of force over a long period of time. Solid tote for a big hand. Well done.

Marv Werner
01-26-2011, 2:03 PM
John,

You say that the classic handles of yesteryear cannot be beaten...... here we go again, I just can't help it, I just have to challenge your statement with a picture of a saw that just might be considered classic, but I'll decline to be the judge.:D

I don't own this saw. This picture is from a collection of odd (classic?) pictures of saw handles I have collected off that auction site where people sell stuff.

My apologies to stewie :)

john brenton
01-26-2011, 3:05 PM
Merv...not again man! I may as well just PM Dave Anderson and ask him to lock this thread now. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you know that I was referring to classic, professional designs passed down through the generations that we've all come to regard as the pinnacles of art and science in saw handles.

Anyways, I understood everything you were saying in the previous monster thread and I agree with you. I admire jimmy rigging too. Clearly, if the people that made those god awful handles could have done better, they would have. They needed the saw to work, and did the best they could at making a handle. Sometimes some of us don't realize just how scarce material is in parts of the world. I lived in a country where there is no excess...there is no extra supply....there is no valuable trash laying around. Any man's trash that can be used for something is everyman's treasure in those real rural areas. We are spoiled here when it comes to resources.

Over and out...I have nothing more to say on the matter of funky saw handles.;)

Tim Null
01-26-2011, 4:23 PM
I watched the other monster thread evolve and now am reading this one.

Stewie, I like your handle. It is well done and a different design. Now personally it is not my taste. I prefer the more traditional designs. Question: How does it feel?

The real reason for a handle is to hold the saw in the best possible position to use it. If it does that, aesthetics are a bonus.

I used to carve adult airgun stocks, both for myself and for sale. Now there is a group of people with varying opinions on designs in wood. There are very traditional stock designs, and those that look totally alien and people who love/hate each type.

If I was carving a stock for myself, mine was the only opinion that really mattered. Sure I posted on the forums for an ego stroking, but any critique about style was taken with a large grain of salt. I listened to the technical suggestions though.

This design looks like it places the hand too high. For a dovetail saw it would seem like you would want your hand a little lower and in line with the top of the back. But I have not tried this design. So Stewie, how does it work?

If it works fine for you, then the design part is really what you like. I carved my personal stocks to please my eye after considering the function. For customers, I did what they wanted, even if I hated the design.

As someone who has had their designs critiqued, I would say that comments should be about first the technical aspect and then your opinion of the design. An error in grain orientation, as was previously pointed out, is very helpful. A polite comment that you don't/do care for the design and why is helpful as well. A trashing of it just hurts the artists feelings and is often not considered.

So in that light, my thoughts are as follows:

1) The technical aspect look good. Much more robust, no chance of snapping off. My only concern is height of the hand above the back.

2) Design is interesting and uncommon. Not my personal taste, but I can see how others would like it as it is different but not so far out as to be objectionable. Beautiful wood and a nice job in execution.

Just wanted to give what I would want in a critique of my own work.

Hope this helps Stewie. Keep it up.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2011, 4:30 PM
I don't own this saw. This picture is from a collection of odd (classic?) pictures of saw handles I have collected off that auction site where people sell stuff.

A classic style saw handle that is labeled, "My latest custom handle smirk." Is this another attempt to make the thread about you instead of about what the OP wanted to share?

Stewie has made a great looking handle, IMO.

The main consideration for me would be; is it comfortable, does it handle well, does it feel like an extension of my hand when cutting.

If those happen for Stewie when using this saw, he has every reason to be happy and take pride in what he has created.

Nice work Stewie.

jtk

Brian Kent
01-26-2011, 4:52 PM
I think it is beautiful and solid looking. It appears to be "hand-shaped" with the variations being in the way the parts transition. I think you did a fine job and I will enjoy hearing more about it as you put it to use and test the function.

And as was said before - beautiful wood!

Marv Werner
01-26-2011, 5:40 PM
Jim,

Just a feeble attempt at a little humor. I think Stewie knows where I'm coming from. If anyone is making it about me, it's you by asking that snarky question. That kind of post is a good example of how these problems get started. Then I end up being the bad guy.

Pam Niedermayer
01-26-2011, 5:57 PM
Stewie, very pretty, and it appears to me, an unrepentant straight handle pull saw lover, that the angle of your saw handle aims in the right direction (toward the middle of the teeth) for comfortable use. However, the big mounting blocks are a little jarring and would appear to be skin tearers. If there's a reason for their thickness, so be it; but it would look, and I think work, a lot better were the mating with the main handle to be blended, eliminating sharp edges inside the handle.

Pam

john brenton
01-26-2011, 5:59 PM
Oh god...again? Really?

Poor Stew can't share his work without WW3 breaking out.

I'm no moderator, but with all due respect, Jim started it, Merv got his word in, now any other of this argument on the public forum is not fair to Stew.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2011, 8:05 PM
Poor Stew can't share his work without WW3 breaking out.

I'm no moderator, but with all due respect, Jim started it

Then my apologies to all.

Maybe it would be better if my offerings were just jokes about what the OP was sharing.

jtk

george wilson
01-26-2011, 8:15 PM
Perhaps Marv doing exactly the same "joke" again is what started it. Jim's a good man. I will participate no more in this issue. I am sorry for the sake of this forum that things got out of hand before.

Stewie,congratulations on strengthening the handle. I do suggest getting rid of the sharp corners near your knuckles.

Mark Baldwin III
01-26-2011, 8:31 PM
Keep the tools coming, Stewie! I really like the designs you come up with. It seems like you give a nod to tradition while, at the same time, doing something uniquely your own. As someone who's just learning all of this, I like looking at the tools you've posted here for a bit of inspiration. Thanks!

Leigh Betsch
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't know if I like the saw handle or not, but I've decided that I like Stewie. Anyone one that keeps posting with all the flak in the other post has more character than any ol' saw handle could ever have.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
I don't think anyone here would describe any of your experiments as "lousy". The bottom line is that most people expect a saw handle to look like the classic handles of yesteryear, which I agree cannot be beaten. Your designs are cool, but I'm glad you left the Homer Simpson mouth off of this one. There was another thing that it reminded me of but I can't say it here.

Thanks for the feedback John. As long as each design gets better than the previous one I will be happy.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
It looks very comfortable. That would be especialy good on a big rip saw where you were using quite a bit of force over a long period of time. Solid tote for a big hand. Well done.

HI Dan. I would class my hand size as being about average and the handle is just right for a traditional 3 finger grip. The back of the grip is less humped than you would normally encounter, but it does lend itself to being more comfortable to hold.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 1:07 AM
Stewie,

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like it.

Hope it's not your last one.

Are you left handed? It's the saw nuts.

If you were to make the same basic design again, is there anything you would do differently?

Yes Marv. I am left handed. As far as changes to the next saw handle design. I intend look further into some Sam Maloofs work and see whether I can incorporate some of his styles of work into the shaping of hardback saw handles.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 1:17 AM
I watched the other monster thread evolve and now am reading this one.

Stewie, I like your handle. It is well done and a different design. Now personally it is not my taste. I prefer the more traditional designs. Question: How does it feel?

The real reason for a handle is to hold the saw in the best possible position to use it. If it does that, aesthetics are a bonus.

I used to carve adult airgun stocks, both for myself and for sale. Now there is a group of people with varying opinions on designs in wood. There are very traditional stock designs, and those that look totally alien and people who love/hate each type.

If I was carving a stock for myself, mine was the only opinion that really mattered. Sure I posted on the forums for an ego stroking, but any critique about style was taken with a large grain of salt. I listened to the technical suggestions though.

This design looks like it places the hand too high. For a dovetail saw it would seem like you would want your hand a little lower and in line with the top of the back. But I have not tried this design. So Stewie, how does it work?

If it works fine for you, then the design part is really what you like. I carved my personal stocks to please my eye after considering the function. For customers, I did what they wanted, even if I hated the design.

As someone who has had their designs critiqued, I would say that comments should be about first the technical aspect and then your opinion of the design. An error in grain orientation, as was previously pointed out, is very helpful. A polite comment that you don't/do care for the design and why is helpful as well. A trashing of it just hurts the artists feelings and is often not considered.

So in that light, my thoughts are as follows:

1) The technical aspect look good. Much more robust, no chance of snapping off. My only concern is height of the hand above the back.

2) Design is interesting and uncommon. Not my personal taste, but I can see how others would like it as it is different but not so far out as to be objectionable. Beautiful wood and a nice job in execution.

Just wanted to give what I would want in a critique of my own work.

Hope this helps Stewie. Keep it up.

Hi Tim. Your critique is most welcome. I agree with you as far as focusing solely on the technical side of any feedback. Personal preferences on the appearance can be a cumbersome variability.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 1:19 AM
A classic style saw handle that is labeled, "My latest custom handle smirk." Is this another attempt to make the thread about you instead of about what the OP wanted to share?

Stewie has made a great looking handle, IMO.

The main consideration for me would be; is it comfortable, does it handle well, does it feel like an extension of my hand when cutting.

If those happen for Stewie when using this saw, he has every reason to be happy and take pride in what he has created.

Nice work Stewie.

jtk

Thanks Jim.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 1:57 AM
I think it is beautiful and solid looking. It appears to be "hand-shaped" with the variations being in the way the parts transition. I think you did a fine job and I will enjoy hearing more about it as you put it to use and test the function.

And as was said before - beautiful wood!

Thanks for the encouraging feedback Brian. Your right about the handle being hand shaped. No power tools were used.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 2:21 AM
Stewie, very pretty, and it appears to me, an unrepentant straight handle pull saw lover, that the angle of your saw handle aims in the right direction (toward the middle of the teeth) for comfortable use. However, the big mounting blocks are a little jarring and would appear to be skin tearers. If there's a reason for their thickness, so be it; but it would look, and I think work, a lot better were the mating with the main handle to be blended, eliminating sharp edges inside the handle.

Pam

Hi Pam. I think your technical review is spot on. I appreciate your honest appraisal. I will make the required changes to my next handle. I think there is a real benefit by having others critiique your work. It should not be taken as a personal rebuke, but purely as an opportunity for growth and knowledge.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 2:26 AM
Perhaps Marv doing exactly the same "joke" again is what started it. Jim's a good man. I will participate no more in this issue. I am sorry for the sake of this forum that things got out of hand before.

Stewie,congratulations on strengthening the handle. I do suggest getting rid of the sharp corners near your knuckles.

Thanks George. Appreciate your feedback. Do you think the hang angle for this handle looks about right for this type of saw. Its at 65 degrees.

Stewie.

Stewie Simpson
01-27-2011, 2:39 AM
Keep the tools coming, Stewie! I really like the designs you come up with. It seems like you give a nod to tradition while, at the same time, doing something uniquely your own. As someone who's just learning all of this, I like looking at the tools you've posted here for a bit of inspiration. Thanks!

Thanks Mark. Your feedback is most encouraging. I think its of some importance for each of us to learn and develope our own unique style of work. It generates diversity of work while challenging our creative skills.

Stewie.

Russell Sansom
01-27-2011, 2:49 AM
I find Stewie's design inspiring. Ready to go out and copy this one, then found off the front inside of the handle. Keep the ideas coming, Stewie.

john brenton
01-27-2011, 9:12 AM
Not only that, but he's designed and fabricated three completely unique saw handles in just a matter of days. That's pretty impressive.

Marv Werner
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Takes me days to make a handle.

We need to get some instructions from Stewie how to speed up the process.

george wilson
01-27-2011, 1:00 PM
2 or 3 hours is about right. Mostly hand work due to changing contour values.