PDA

View Full Version : Progress! sorta gloat like...

Mike Johnson - Chicago
01-13-2005, 1:28 PM
Just now gettnig my pics in my computer...but over the holidays I installed my shop heater (YEA!), installed a riser block on my bandsaw (YEA!), and took shipment of the Claro walnut lumber to make our dining room set (YEA!).

The fall season was absent of activity in the shop, so I'm tickled pink with the latest!

I had to share with someone that would understand :)

Now it's time to start the dining room project!

Jim Becker
01-13-2005, 1:44 PM
Congrats on the new heater and riser! Those slabs for the table are awesome...

Keith Starosta
01-13-2005, 1:48 PM
Geez....that is beautiful wood!! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Keith

Dick Parr
01-13-2005, 1:55 PM
Congratulations on all 3 :D Like Jim said, that wood is beautiful!

Chris Daigh
01-13-2005, 2:12 PM
Where did you get those slabs and they look pretty flat. Keep us posted with pics of the dining room set.

Mike Johnson - Chicago
01-13-2005, 2:51 PM
Thanks guys!

The wood is from Northwest Timber. The top is a book-matched "musical grade" set, and the rest is graded "marbled select", so I paid more than I've ever paid for wood before.

It hurt for sure, but when I figured out how much LOML would spend if we bought what she was looking at...it seemed to make sense.

When I received the lumber, I was giddie. I've never had this quality of lumber before. The boards for the top are each 1-1/2" x 20" x 108" and 80% vertical grain...and dry...AND FLAT! I was shocked at how big the boards to make up the order were. Most are 1-1/2" x 24" x 66". There was one "small" board is 1-1/2" x 18" x 96". Below is a couple of them when I was trying to figure out where to put them...they overhang on my rack too far!

It sure looks like there won't be much waste. All the boards are graded 6/4, but are surfaced to 1-1/2". Whenever I've bought 6/4 in the past, its a rough 1-1/2", milling out at 1-1/4" or less.

Then I got the bill....ouch! My credit card was on fire~

But, I figure the next emotion swing will be when I put the first coat of finish on it...and it lights up! :)

If you interested in the details of the project, I posted a month or so back, on the design forum, the plans for critique...and I'm always open to more feedback!

Regards,
M.J.

Chris Padilla
01-13-2005, 3:12 PM
Claro walnut is the walnut we tend to see around here (California)...more so than black walnut. However, it is walnut and is always beautiful. You can often find very large slabs of it, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2005, 3:40 PM
Mike....Congrats on the heater...the riser and that absolutely beautiful wood!
Be sure to post pictures as that table comes along!

Jerry Olexa
01-13-2005, 5:37 PM
Mike you are ready to cook... LOOKS GREAT ...love the wood and the riser and the heater...Anxious to see your progress.. Good moves

Aaron Heck
02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Mike,

I was just searching the forum for claro walnut and came upon this thread. I'm also considering ordering a musical grade top from NW TImber and a lot of other claro stock, and wanted to get your opinion on them and see what other vendors you considered, if any. I'll send you a PM.

Aaron

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Mike,

All of the gloats are great, but that walnut is impressive. Be sure to post your progress!

David Dixson
02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm am seriously feeling a strong sense of jealousy. That is some beautiful wood, even in it's rough form. Congrats on the heater and the wood. When the wife sees the final product, you'll be feeling like the money was peanuts.

You've inspired me. I'm going to buy the walnut and maple I need to make my daughter's graduation from college present (a blanket chest) Saturday morning. I think I'll spend a bit more and get the best he's got.

Dave

Jerry Olexa
02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Mike again, beautiful wood. Where is Northewst timber/Lumber? I live in far NW suburbs of Chicago and not familiar w this source. Thanks. Again, great job!

Aaron Heck
02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Mike again, beautiful wood. Where is Northewst timber/Lumber? I live in far NW suburbs of Chicago and not familiar w this source. Thanks. Again, great job!

http://www.nwtimber.com/

Check out the online store. Supurb job of pics, measurements and pricing, IMHO.