PDA

View Full Version : The Rattle Saga

Roland Martin
01-25-2011, 8:19 PM
If my grandson will like, time will tell. Can always use it as a dumbell:D.
This is my latest attempt at turning a rattle that passes the test, I believe it does, thanks to all the input I got from my previous attempt.
This one is a double-ended rattle, 1 13/16" x 6", finished with mineral oil and is birdseye maple and it even sounds good.
Thanks for the help and thanks for looking.179743

Michael James
01-25-2011, 8:28 PM
Looks like an heirloom to me Roland!

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2011, 8:32 PM
Roland, I have another grandchild on the way in July so I will have to make one of those. I made some bonkers for my grandson and he just loves them! They don't rattle but he makes lots of noise pouding on things with them, drives his mother crazy!

Nice work,

Jeff

Kieran Kammerer
01-25-2011, 9:01 PM
Looks great Roland. I was not all that pleased with my first attempt. I was thinking about turning something similar to what you just did. Like you said, should meet the safety regs and it looks like it should be light. I am sure your grandson will love it and his family will cherish it. A true heirloom!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2011, 9:06 PM
Great looking rattle Roland. Could be a family heirloom.

David E Keller
01-25-2011, 9:15 PM
Nice work on the rattle, Roland. I like the wood choice, and it looks like it passes all the safety rules and regs.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Really nice work Roland! You'll have to post a photo later when it goes through the testing stage with the new owner!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Nicely done Roland.

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Looks great Roland!

John Keeton
01-26-2011, 7:21 AM
Great job, Roland, and I like the redesign. You did a good job on the grain match, and I wonder if one glued in a contrasting separator strip if that would look any different. May not work, but just an idea.

bob svoboda
01-26-2011, 9:08 AM
I like it Roland. Have another Granddaughter due next month and am planning on a rattle for her.

Roland Martin
01-26-2011, 9:42 AM
Great job, Roland, and I like the redesign. You did a good job on the grain match, and I wonder if one glued in a contrasting separator strip if that would look any different. May not work, but just an idea.

I made the joints with a receiving tennon/rabbit in order to get a tight fit & a better glue joint. It worked out well, but it took about 1/8" of material out and prevented all the grain to re-align perfectly. A walnut center band probably would have taken care of that problem and looked good at the same time. The double-ended design was fairly challenging in respect to hollowing the center part and being able to chuck it good enough for hollowing end grain. Where there's a will.....