PDA

View Full Version : 18" Maple platter.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-25-2011, 8:14 PM
Been busy with all kind of things besides moving snow :rolleyes:, but between this that and the other thing, got at least this platter finished.

Manitoba Maple with some spalting. curl and color, about 18" X 2".

Any and all comments are welcome as always :)

179742 179741

Roger Chandler
01-25-2011, 8:21 PM
great form on this Leo!

Michael James
01-25-2011, 8:26 PM
Very nice Leo, thanks for posting! Up to now I have only made small little saucers, but I'm gonna try some larger chunks soon!

Steve Vaughan
01-25-2011, 8:28 PM
That's fine looking! I like the simple, clean look and lines.

Jeff Nicol
01-25-2011, 8:30 PM
Leo, Very nice and simple, great center piece material or wall hanging. The figure is nice and the little bit of spalting is just right.

Nice job,

Jeff

Marc Himes
01-25-2011, 8:30 PM
Wonderful piece Leo. I especially like the rim and foot treatment. The wood is beautiful and the form is very pleasing.

Marc Himes

Ron Stadler
01-25-2011, 8:37 PM
Nice platter, has a nice form to it and quite a large platter, 18", wow, thats huge.

dan carter
01-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Good job, you solved the issue of making a platter without it looking too thin. Very nice edge treatment.

Jim Burr
01-25-2011, 9:02 PM
Super plater Leo! The rim treatment really catches my eye. I think the foot is a little busy, but just MHO. I can only dream about 18", but soon......

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2011, 9:04 PM
That is a beauty Leo. Like the form and the rim.

charlie knighton
01-25-2011, 9:07 PM
very nice, Leo

Roland Martin
01-25-2011, 9:16 PM
Some good looking maple and plenty of it. I really like the rim & bottom details.

Curt Fuller
01-25-2011, 9:21 PM
Very nice looking platter, Leo. I sure wish I could get nice Manitoba Maple (Box Elder) around here. Every piece I've gotten that wasn't burl was as plain as white paint. That one has a little of everything in it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Another wonderful turning Leo! Really like the subtle raised lip! Great looking wood with just enough spalt and curl to make it interesting! Once again - a very clean turning in that you created just enough detail to highlight different portions of the platter! Great example of less is more! Thanks for sharing!

Thomas Canfield
01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Really like the wood. I like the visual presentation of the top and bottom, but I wonder how much mass is in the platter. It looks like it has a lot of wood out in the rim area with the flat rim area and straight taper from bottom to edge and it makes me curious. This is a curious comment and not critical - I like the platter. Where did you find the wood and was it kiln dried to start?

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Very pretty Leo! That wood has a little bit of everything to go with a nice shape. Have a couple questions. I roughed out a couple of 15 inch maple platters from a tree I cut earlier this week. Rough turned them to about 1.5 inches in thickness with a slight curve inside and out. A little over 2 inches in depth from rim to foot. Put anchorseal on the outside edges, then laid them upside down across a couple stickers on a concrete floor. Put two cinderblocks on top of the 6 inch diameter foot in an attempt to keep them flat. The center of the tree was toward the foot.

This afternoon I cut out the stump of that same ambrosia maple. The center of the tree was stained dark but it could become a 20+ platter. Would I be better off to turn both sides perfectly flat and sticker it like you would lumber with stickers on top and weight on top of that. Thanks for any advice!

tom martin
01-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice platter Leo! What finish did you put on it?
Thanks,
Tom

David Peebles
01-26-2011, 1:06 AM
Looks great Leo,

But I always reserve judgement until I see a profile pic. For me, that really tells the story.

Best wishes,

Dave

Joe Little
01-26-2011, 6:12 AM
Well done, nice edge effect. Beautiful wood.

John Keeton
01-26-2011, 7:13 AM
A very nice platter from some beautiful wood!! Love the rim detailing, Leo.

steven carter
01-26-2011, 9:25 AM
Dandy platter Leo. Really nice piece of wood and a great job of whowing off all the features of the spalt and curl.

philip labre
01-26-2011, 9:51 AM
A great piece Leo! I've cursed box elder for years as a weed tree, but since I've started turning, I'm quickly gaining an appreciation for it.

Bob Bergstrom
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I love looking at your large turnings. I know 18" isn't that large for you, but for some it would be a monster. Thanks for all the sharing you provide on this site. Beautiful wood and as usual, well executed.:cool:

Harvey Ghesser
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
You never fail to disappoint, Leo! Beautiful platter!

David DeCristoforo
01-26-2011, 6:31 PM
That's a nice one, Leo. I have some maple burl slabs that are just itching to become platters. I hope they turn out half this nice!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2011, 9:46 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments, it's appreciated :D:D

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Really like the wood. I like the visual presentation of the top and bottom, but I wonder how much mass is in the platter. It looks like it has a lot of wood out in the rim area with the flat rim area and straight taper from bottom to edge and it makes me curious. This is a curious comment and not critical - I like the platter. Where did you find the wood and was it kiln dried to start?

Thanks for commenting Thomas :D, it isn't a featherlite or was meant to be, nor is it heavy, the rim is concave both on the top and the bottom with the curved coming from the bottom, not very visible in the picture, I will add a picture in one of the replies below
The wood is from a tree that broke in half here behind my place a couple of years ago, it was fairly dry but still did move bit, something you can expect with large pieces of wood as it never seems to totally dry and not move when turned.

Very pretty Leo! That wood has a little bit of everything to go with a nice shape. Have a couple questions. I roughed out a couple of 15 inch maple platters from a tree I cut earlier this week. Rough turned them to about 1.5 inches in thickness with a slight curve inside and out. A little over 2 inches in depth from rim to foot. Put anchorseal on the outside edges, then laid them upside down across a couple stickers on a concrete floor. Put two cinderblocks on top of the 6 inch diameter foot in an attempt to keep them flat. The center of the tree was toward the foot.

This afternoon I cut out the stump of that same ambrosia maple. The center of the tree was stained dark but it could become a 20+ platter. Would I be better off to turn both sides perfectly flat and sticker it like you would lumber with stickers on top and weight on top of that. Thanks for any advice!

Baxter thanks :D

Baxter the way you done the 15" ones is the best way IMO, unless you don't mind waiting a couple of years for the straight slab to dry and then the turned piece will still move some when you turn it, the less wood there is, the less time is needed for drying, and weight on them will help to keep them flat.

This one was made from a slab that was sitting here in the shop for better than 2 years, and it still has moved a bit after turning and finishing, had to return the foot before removing the recess to have it sit flat.

I just rough turned a couple 22" platters and a 13½" one, the large ones I made from a Siberian Elm were I cut the center part into two 3½" thick slabs, they also sat here in the shop (and in my way) they had some pith area splits and had curved from drying, I did need all the thickness to make these platters, they can now sit and dry some more, (easier to move than the heavy slabs also).
Even though these were cut from the center they did curve better than 1/2"
179896 179897 179898 179899

Nice platter Leo! What finish did you put on it?
Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Tom :D,just the usual, Polymerized tung oil from Lee Valley and a quick buff

Another wonderful turning Leo! Really like the subtle raised lip! Great looking wood with just enough spalt and curl to make it interesting! Once again - a very clean turning in that you created just enough detail to highlight different portions of the platter! Great example of less is more! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Steve :D, lucky enough with wood from that tree that blew down here a couple of years ago, it started to split at the pith areas on both ends of the slab, but I can't complain for it sat quite a while already.
I'm satisfied withe the outcome, it looks good I think, now back to roughing more wood that sat waiting a while and some too long I'm afraid, oh well can't win them all ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks great Leo,

But I always reserve judgement until I see a profile pic. For me, that really tells the story.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thanks David :D, and I will add a profile picture here for you, not an easy thing to do, and not the best but it does show the profile ;)

Well done, nice edge effect. Beautiful wood.

Thanks for commenting Joe :D

A great piece Leo! I've cursed box elder for years as a weed tree, but since I've started turning, I'm quickly gaining an appreciation for it.

Philip thanks, the same here and it still isn't my favorite, but it turns quite well.

I love looking at your large turnings. I know 18" isn't that large for you, but for some it would be a monster. Thanks for all the sharing you provide on this site. Beautiful wood and as usual, well executed.:cool:

Thanks Bob, and my pleasure :D
12 or 13 inches often look small to me, just what one's used to I suppose.

You never fail to disappoint, Leo! Beautiful platter!

Thank you Harvey for your comments, I just keep trying :D

That's a nice one, Leo. I have some maple burl slabs that are just itching to become platters. I hope they turn out half this nice!

Thank you David, you are going to start off with BURL slabs, that not playing fair, I'll be just blown out of the water by yours, hope to see them David, you do very nice work :D

David Peebles
01-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Leo,

Thanks for taking the time to post the profile.
I love it!!

Best wishes,

Dave

Leo Van Der Loo
01-27-2011, 2:52 PM
I thought you might :)
Had to set it up on a base to get enough light under it, tried it sitting down on it's own base, didn't work, just couldn't get a good picture, this way is better but I don't like the piece sitting on something when making a picture, didn't have a choice here :)

Carol Kinney
01-27-2011, 4:37 PM
Very nice Leo now I have something to look at when I turn - not that mine would ever look half as nice as yours turned out. I have to agree about the profile photo, it does show how very nice of a platter it is. Thank you for sharing Leo.

Baxter Smith
01-27-2011, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the reccomendation and pictures of your other platter roughouts Leo. I worked this morning on roughing out the platter. Had planned on adding a picture here of what I ended up with for the roughout but got "mentally stuck" so will post some pictures in another thread. Thanks again for your help!