PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail transfer jig small stuff

Kent Parker
01-25-2011, 7:03 PM
I'm in the process of making multiple small boxes for a project with dovetail joints. Hanging on to the pieces during transferring the tails to pins was somewhat slippery so I turned to Robert Ingham's jig for help. Mine is a variation of a theme. Primarily for small stock, its adjustable. If you note the cuts in the angle pieces it also applies pressure to hold the pieces in place once you push the angles toward the stock.

The angle is 1/8" stock and I wish I used 1/4" as it would be easier to push against the stock (skinny stuff hurts my thumb!). The jig can be used tails to pins or pins to tails.

Cheers,

Kent

Rick Erickson
01-25-2011, 8:42 PM
Very clever Kent. I like it!

Chuck Tringo
01-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Perhaps I'm blind...or just stoopid (likely the latter :D) but I cant seem to figure out how it holds the pin board in place...otherwise I like it.

Jim Koepke
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I cant seem to figure out how it holds the pin board in place

+1 on that.

jtk

brian c miller
01-26-2011, 8:21 AM
My guess is that the Aluminium angle iron holds both boards. If you look close there are some cuts on both the pin and tail sides of the Aluminium angle iron that will act like the cuts on a finger board and squeeze both into place once you apply pressure then lock them down.

Kent Parker
01-26-2011, 9:09 AM
Brians correct.

Once the inboard edges of the horizontal and vertical portions of the metal angle clamps are cut it allows minor compression of the edges in contact with the wood piece, like a finger board, which applies pressure to the wood stock. It allows the pieces to be held firmly in two directions but still allows for sliding between the clamps for aligning the end onto which the pins are to be marked.

Kent

Martin Shupe
01-26-2011, 4:54 PM
Where did you buy the aluminum angle "iron"?

What kind of saw did you used to cut the slits?

What a great idea. I want to build one. Thanks for posting.

Tony Shea
01-26-2011, 5:40 PM
That is a very clever idea, not sure exactlly sure who it came from but either way it is great. IMO it was pretty clear as to how it worked, very good pictures. I would also like to know a little more about its' construction, could be very useful as this is the hardest part of dovetailling for me. I still have yet to try the 140 trick and will attempt this the next time I need dovetails.

Michael Peet
01-26-2011, 5:43 PM
I dig it, Kent. Very cool.

Mike