PDA

View Full Version : Help with Legos

doug parker
01-25-2011, 6:31 PM
Here is what I am up against, My sons birthday is in may and he is having a lego party. Each child will be getting a lego race car to build and then we are going to race them. We thought it would be neat as an additional favor to give each child a lego block key chain with their name engraved on it. I have been burning a lot of bricks and am getting decent engravings but filling in with color has been unsuccessful except for using regular craft paint. The problem with this is I dont think it will be permenant. I have tried pro colorfill but it comes out easier than the craft paint. I purchased some plastic paint from lowes and it seems to etch the plastic but getting it in the engraving is difficult and it seems to eat the mask I am using. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Gary Hair
01-25-2011, 6:33 PM
I purchased some plastic paint from lowes and it seems to etch the plastic but getting it in the engraving is difficult and it seems to eat the mask I am using. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would try a different mask. You should be able to find something that withstands the paint, try polyester sign material (just like vinyl but not vinyl).

Gary

Dee Gallo
01-25-2011, 7:00 PM
Hi Doug,

Do you know what the Legos are made of? I do color filling on plastics of all kinds all the time using Flo-Quil which is an oil-based paint by Testors. If you want, I can send you the tutorial for my process (send me a PM with your email address because it's longish). If I had a Lego, I'd try my paint on it for you, but I don't have any, sorry.

I love the idea you have for your son's party - getting kids to make stuff is always a good idea! And they all love to see their names engraved on something.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
01-25-2011, 7:51 PM
LEGO's are ABS, so start there...