PDA

View Full Version : When is purchasing tools an illness?

David Prince
01-25-2011, 6:21 PM
Okay, I admit it, I like buying tools.

So, when is this obsession an illness? :confused:

My family isn't neglected. My bills are paid. I can make money with the tools. I take very good care of my tools. I can find room for each one so that they aren't crowded. I try not to duplicate too much unless I have a valid reason.

Should I be saving more money and putting it in the bank?

I don't really have any other bad habits.

I told SWMBO that she can auction the works when I pass on and do whatever she wants with it except for a few sentimental items that I would like to see passed on.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2011, 6:23 PM
When you wife gets fed up with you doing it and begins to beat you for doing it....it would then become a medical problem....don't know if it would be considered an illness.:confused:

David Prince
01-25-2011, 6:44 PM
I told the wife she can have all of the tools and the shop after I am gone.

Van Huskey
01-25-2011, 6:44 PM
If you have to ask... it is at least a condition. When you quite asking it is definitely an illness.

Matt Meiser
01-25-2011, 6:48 PM
Tuesday.:D

glenn bradley
01-25-2011, 7:00 PM
When your shop starts to get crowded you have passed into the pathological stages of tool buying. As long as you have room, you're OK. Save yourself! I'll PM you my address so you can send some of your tools to me to make room for more.

Chris Padilla
01-25-2011, 7:30 PM
Tuesday.:D

For me it is Thursday...something rather, uhm, spendy is arriving and I didn't ask first.... hahaha

Michael James
01-25-2011, 7:36 PM
Technically, a sign of early addiction is adaption, meaning that you need more ___________ to get your desired emotional fix from buying tools. Thus, prodromal signs would be escalating purchases and rationalizations, evidenced by defensive declarations, sneaking tools in, increasing anxiety and a need to alleviate that anxiety by further and more elaborate, or expensive purchases. Be forewarned, there is no TA (tool anonymous).
Until then, enjoy!

Brian Kent
01-25-2011, 7:37 PM
When you truly believe that the next tool purchase will make your life happy. Unfortunately, I always have a "next tool" that will make me happy.

Brian Kent
01-25-2011, 7:48 PM
Michael, that is the first time in my life i have seen the word "prodromal". Not only that but when I looked it up I found out you were even using it correctly! :D

Jay Allen
01-25-2011, 7:49 PM
Of all people, I could never criticize anyone for having duplicates, but I figure there is point. As long as you actually use the stuff you have, I say go for it. Some "collectors" never use the tools they do have, which seems a bit wasteful, but as long as they can afford it....

John Coloccia
01-25-2011, 7:50 PM
As I told someone else recently, and I'll paraphrase, don't ever ask your drinking buddies if you drink too much.

Peter Quinn
01-25-2011, 8:00 PM
When you have to cancel Thanksgiving dinner because you have a 5 axis CNC with vacuum table in place in your dining room, and your wife suggest putting a table cloth on "It" and eating there but you don't want your guests to get "Her" dirty with crumbs, at that exact moment, you have moved into the realm of serious illness. That or when you sell your home and move into an industrial condo which prohibits domicile by its rules, but you just have to be closer to your tools, and have a steady supply of 3 phase power. These are clear signs that your hobby has turned the corner into illness. But some forms of illness are untreatable, an others must simply run their course and may eventually cure themselves. :rolleyes:

If you need an intervention, reach out for help. PS, I have a van and access to a flatbed if you need the temptations removed or relocated.:D And I don't have a problem, I swear, my tool buying is healthy. Does my dog look skinny to you? I think I may have spent the dog food money on a router, but she looks fine to me. I'd actually make something if I had the space, or the time after spending the weekends at tool auctions......

Michael James
01-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Michael, that is the first time in my life i have seen the word "prodromal". Not only that but when I looked it up I found out you were even using it correctly! :D
Thanks Brian. My claim to fame is casually throwing in "paradigm shift" in mgmt meetings and enjoying the blank stares. I've been forced to go to so many lectures and trainings, that Im learning to enjoy "buzzword bingo" almost as much as the standard chicken _____________ they serve at every banquet.

Chris Tsutsui
01-25-2011, 8:44 PM
As long as buying tools does not put financial burden on my family, then I think I am ok. In otherwords, it's ok being on the brink of that financial burden. :)

David Prince
01-25-2011, 9:14 PM
I pick up part time projects to earn extra money to buy more tools. AND.. I have been known to spend those earnings before I complete the project and get paid, though. :o

My full-time job still pays the bills!

ken gibbs
01-25-2011, 9:51 PM
He who has the most tools when he dies, wins!

Terry Welty
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Technically, a sign of early addiction is adaption, meaning that you need more ___________ to get your desired emotional fix from buying tools. Thus, prodromal signs would be escalating purchases and rationalizations, evidenced by defensive declarations, sneaking tools in, increasing anxiety and a need to alleviate that anxiety by further and more elaborate, or expensive purchases. Be forewarned, there is no TA (tool anonymous).
Until then, enjoy!

OK- I have all of the above... Is that good or bad?

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 10:53 PM
For me it is Thursday...something rather, uhm, spendy is arriving and I didn't ask first.... hahaha

You too? Thursday is gonna be a bad one for me. A spendy item is arriving and she'll be home (took a few days off from work!).

Chip Lindley
01-26-2011, 1:47 AM
Seriously folks, when tool BUYING overshadows the USE those tools to make nice things of wood, there IS a problem. Gluttony, Covetousness and even Lust are surely involved. I am guilty of all! I need to get back to basics in many respects, instead of being a slave to CL or eBay! Too often my addiction justifies a purchase because of all the $$$ I'm saving on a great deal on a used tool or machine. I'll stop tomorrow! But tomorrow is now today--12:43AM....

John Sanford
01-26-2011, 1:52 AM
I'm not sure it's an illness, perhaps merely a precursor?

My precursor condition: struggling to control the urge to go out an buy some awesome Craigslist deals, because I need to save the money to either buy a SawStop or a pick-em-up-truk. And it's a serious war between the SS and the F150! (The longer the war lasts, the more likely the F150 is to win. Air conditioning trumps all come May!)

I'm an currently "fortunately" limited in my toolish ambitions, because no 220v power puts a whole universe of tailed beasts off-limits.

Rick Markham
01-26-2011, 5:20 AM
Maybe when your reading and posting in this thread at 5:11am, have school in the morning, no sleep... just finished sweeping curlies off the floor from the lathe... and you are still thinking there is time to make "just one more bowl" or all of your flatwork tools have dust all over them, because they have been completely neglected for the ones that work with spinning objects (except the laguna bandsaw)... you have over 87lbs of whole Manzenita burls showing up tomorrow... You dream about forms and techniques, the feel and sound of the wood cutting on a sharp gouge... Your significant other finds you sneaking out of bed to admire your "true love" a mustard colored beast, of cold cast iron... Your work bench is covered with exotic woods, you can't wait to touch... The tablesaw is covered with finished bowls, and your considering buying another one so you have "more space" to put bowls on... your willing to wait several months for someone to build an articulated hollowing system for you...

I don't exhibit ANY of these symptoms... You might have a problem when you DENY UNTIL YOU DIE! any and all of the above...:D

Tony Perrone
01-26-2011, 6:16 AM
Why does the saying "birds of a feather flock together" come to mind when I read this post?

david brum
01-26-2011, 9:38 AM
How about when you spend weeks of exhaustive research and sleepless nights, followed by elaborate justifications, followed by whining and cajoling in order to buy a tool. Then as soon as it is ordered, you begin to research its replacement. This hasn't happened to me, but I've seen my neighbor do it.

David Prince
01-26-2011, 9:53 AM
CL and Ebay aren't my weaknesses. I haven't really gotten into the used tool market.

But... A retail sale gets my interest. Or finding something I "need" at the lowest price has an appeal. Somehow I feel that I can justify it to SWMBO if I tell her it was on sale or that I was able to save $X.XX.

I confess I get a little giddy knowing that a tool is coming today!:D

I think part of my problem is that I started out with only a few hand-me-down tools. It was frustrating when I tried to complete a project and didn't quite have the right tool to accomplish the task the way it was suppose to be done. I told myself that someday I was going to have a tool for the task. Now, I have tools and am to the point that I can do the task several different ways with several different tools.

Ryan Hellmer
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
I felt a little guilty about cajoling my wife into buying me that new Makita Tracksaw. Yeah, it was a steal ($368 w/track and free shipping!). But I got a little squirmy when she said, "don't you have another tool that would do the same thing?" I made the mistake of telling her a couple years ago that I was "pretty well set." I acknowledged the fact that yes, I do have 2 other circular saws and 2 tablesaws, but that this would do a better more accurate job and (wait for it) is much safer. The guilt disappears when I pull the trigger and plunge it into sheets of plywood for perfect, splinter-free cuts.

Anywho, we're all guilty of a little coveting here and there, but just don't let it get in the way of your family. It's all fun and games until she takes her half.

Max Coller
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
What is this, an intervention? I'm not the one with the problem. YOU'RE the ones with the problem.

Is it bad that I have a second job just so that I can spring for new tools out of a different revenue stream than the mortgage and kids' food money? And that when I got my W2 from that gig in the mail yesterday I actually thought they must have made a mistake because I don't remember spending that much? Maybe I do have a problem. Nah. I'm just doing my teeny part of keeping that 70% portion of the GDP healthy. Or is that too much rationalizing?

Steve H Graham
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
You're fine. Don't worry. Your desire to buy tools just proves you want to get it over with. The more tools you have, the sooner you'll have enough, so you won't have to buy more tools! So, really, the only problem would be if you STOPPED buying tools.

Yeah...

Brian Tymchak
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I really don't understand your concern. Aren't all tools purchased as an investment in your family's future??? :rolleyes:

David Prince
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Okay, I can rationalize that I helping the economy!

p.s. I don't think SWMBO believes me when I say "I should be pretty well set after this purchase and cannot think of anything else I will need." lol

Jeff Monson
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
The low point for me was......when I had to give up my meth addiction to help pay for more tools.

Steve H Graham
01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
If you think about it, you can't afford NOT to buy tools.

Bob Borzelleri
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
All seriousness aside, I can think of at least one purchasing factor the should be considered a symptom of illness. And that is having unopened tools stored in the shop following the purchase that have run out of the original factory warranty. :eek:

David Prince
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
All seriousness aside, I can think of at least one purchasing factor the should be considered a symptom of illness. And that is having unopened tools stored in the shop following the purchase that have run out of the original factory warranty. :eek:

That has got to be a completely new illness that has to be addressed. I have some palm sanders still in their boxes and probably have expired warranty. But... they were cheap and they are ready to go if one of the main sanders quits on me. I won't have to make a special trip to the store and risk paying full price.

Marty Paulus
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Not that I have a lot of room to talk, let me put a different spin on the 'I had to buy it cause it was such a deal' thinking. My father passed away in Aug. He and Mom lived in the same house for 30+ years. Simple ranch no basement and 2 car garage. He managed to collect/buy enough stuff over that time (more so in the last 10 years since he retired) that he actually added a 2nd level in the garage below the rafters to store his stuff. The task of sorting and cleaning is mine. Trying to figure out what is worth keeping and what is just junk is border line overwhelming at times. Oh did I mention the 15 X 30 shed? Just as packed. He would buy an entire display of model spray paint because it was on clearance. "You never know when you may need it" was his logic.

A similar situation was a friends father had to move from his house. He had a 40 X 40 garage that was impossible to walk in. It took months to empty it and sort. They moved the majority of it into 5 storage units to be re-sorted later.

My point here is simple. As long as you don't have a double attic to store tools and stuff or have a large garage that you can't move in, you should still be safe.

And remember when all other logic fails....rehab is for quitters!:cool:

Jon McElwain
01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Until then, enjoy!

Oh Crap...

You're fine. Don't worry. Your desire to buy tools just proves you want to get it over with. The more tools you have, the sooner you'll have enough, so you won't have to buy more tools! So, really, the only problem would be if you STOPPED buying tools.

"Enough tools?" Where to start... The combination of these two words in a sentence at the very least constitutes an improper part of speech unless the word "enough" is preceded by the word "not." Even the idea conveyed by this grammatically poor phraseology is intellectually repugnant. The simple necessity of mental gymnastics which are required to falsely comprehend such a thought is certainly a sign of advanced mental deterioration. Steve, you need to see a psychiatrist and look up your high school English teacher immediately.

Steve H Graham
01-26-2011, 2:19 PM
Steve, you need to see a psychiatrist

You mean that NUTCASE who told me not to buy a third jig borer?

Victor Robinson
01-26-2011, 3:22 PM
I can now cross "visiting an insane asylum" off my bucketlist. *giggles with glee in his straightjacket*

Brian Effinger
01-26-2011, 5:14 PM
The low point for me was......when I had to give up my meth addiction to help pay for more tools.
Bwaa hahahahahaha!!!! That got me laughing. Thanks Jeff! :)

Cary Falk
01-26-2011, 5:20 PM
I think it is an illness when you end up on that TV program called "Hoarding". Untill then I have tools to buy.

Chris Fournier
01-26-2011, 6:47 PM
When the bank says so. And by then it may be terminal.

David Castor
01-26-2011, 8:12 PM
When you decide you can cash in part of the 401k to buy a new tool, you may have a problem.

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2011, 8:22 PM
You guys need to go search OWWM for threads like this. Double digit table saws. Contests over the most tool lbs per square foot. Shops measuring multiple 10s of thousands of pounds in terms of tool weight. Buying a crane to move your latest tool into the shop. Tools in the dining room. Tools in the living room. We are rank amateurs in comparison. Ahh, I love that site.

Yes, I have driven 10 hours round trip for a screaming CL deal. But who doesn't need a 600 lb sander?

Gary, who is glad to be able to use a basement shop as an excuse to not go reeeelly crazy.

mreza Salav
01-26-2011, 8:24 PM
Interesting replies. I can't really tell which ones are serious and which ones are just a joke.

Pat Barry
01-26-2011, 8:52 PM
Tools are just tools. They don't do anything except what you make them do. If all you are doing is making a collection then so be it, maybe it is an investment of sorts. If you are using them for their intended purpose so much the better. Buying something because its a new tool for you because you intend to learn how to use it is great because it shows you want to learn and improve. So when is it an illness?? I'd say when you buy because you think you just want it and have no real need for it or desire to use it. In that case you are just wasting your money, and wasting your time.

Michael James
01-26-2011, 9:12 PM
Interesting replies. I can't really tell which ones are serious and which ones are just a joke.

In all seriousness, check the rates for psychotherapy and compare them to that new item that will really bring you lasting happiness... Sheesh, the price of antidepressants alone over a yr's time ought to get you something you really don't want to be without. It's the ol cosmic trade out - make the call you're willing to live with! :cool:

Steve H Graham
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
In all seriousness, check the rates for psychotherapy and compare them to that new item that will really bring you lasting happiness... Sheesh, the price of antidepressants alone over a yr's time ought to get you something you really don't want to be without.

A long while back, I wrote a piece on my blog, pointing out that learning to use tools helps people feel competent and less frustrated. I said it costs a less than psychotherapy, it leaves people with great stuff and useful skills, and unlike psychotherapy...it WORKS. Seriously, how many people do you know who were born screwed up, spent thousands on therapy, and came out normal? I'm middle-aged, and I've never known anyone a therapist succeeded in curing.

A sample:

Last night, I realized something about tools. I’ve always said tools end frustration and remedy helplessness. Last night I realized that working with tools is great for your character. Much better than sports, which teach you to crave attention and sex, and that women are disposable toys, and that you’re so wonderful, no one will ever make you pay for the bad things you do.

When you use tools and begin to see success, you will develop a sense that you are able to cope with problems. You will learn that creativity, perseverance, and prayer pay off. It will help you to realize that the failures you’ve experienced in the past are not predictive of your future, because you can defeat your challenges if you use your brain and refuse to give up.

It costs a lot of money, but then so do worthless pursuits like golf. And in the end, you (and your descendants) will have things you can touch and handle, to remind you how you overcame, and how to overcome in the future. To me, a nice handmade guitar would have a lot more gut impact than a trophy or a newspaper clipping or a diploma. It’s even better than cooking food that makes people’s eyes roll back in their heads. Food disappears in a matter of minutes.

Any effort you make to develop skills and accomplish things will help your character, but there is something special about tools. Perhaps it’s because the concept of tools is so fundamentally, inextricably intertwined with the concept of ability. A tool is an extension of your body and mind, intended to enhance you in the most direct way possible. It’s almost a prosthetic. When you have a tool you know how to use, you are augmented. You are more than you were without it. To acquire and learn to use tools is to redesign and improve yourself, and it will improve your confidence in other areas of life.

zayd alle
01-26-2011, 11:00 PM
This topic reminds me of a signature line I read on some forum (maybe this one) a long time ago:

"My worry is not that my wife will sell my tools when I die. It is that she will sell them for what I told her I paid for them."

:)

Ron Bontz
01-27-2011, 9:08 AM
The other day when I bought a new spiral head planer. My DC380 still works just fine. My wife looked at me with that look she gets.:mad: HMMM, Time to go to therapy. (The shop):D

Tom Welch
01-27-2011, 9:24 AM
Only when buying tools leaves you with no money left to purchase wood to build projects with the said tools.

Michael James
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm middle-aged, and I've never known anyone a therapist succeeded in curing.

That's sad.

Steve Ryan
01-27-2011, 10:23 AM
You have too many tools when all you do is make jigs and accessories for them, along with the balance of your time spent re designing your shop to fit more stuff in.
Took delivery of a Grizz g0490x and a 3hp DC along with a Powermatic drill press almost two months ago. Only the drill press has seen power. :-(
As for SWMBO; It is always easier to get forgiveness than to get permission. Did get a tiny bit sticky when she found out from our electrician that I had a 997TT on order.

Stephen Cherry
01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
If you do it with a little planning, it's definately not a problem.

Good tools, bought used for a reasonable price can be thought of as a non-cash asset that could be sold or bartered without any problem. Delta unisaw, pm 66, jointers, planers, shapers, etc. Plus quality hand tools. Someonw will always want them and be willing to part with some money. If people do not want them at all, then we will all have bigger problems.

For me, having some nice machines is all part of not having all your eggs in one basket. Plus you can play with them while they are yours.

Brian Kent
01-27-2011, 1:11 PM
I apologize for being serious for a moment, since we are having a lot of fun admitting our tool collecting can be an addictive behavior.

As part of my career, I work alongside various kinds of therapists: Marriage & Family, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Occupational, and Behavioral. One of the therapies that goes alongside counseling and the rest is the making of various kinds of crafts. Using tools, creating something beautiful and functional, seeing something that you once thought impossible, but now you can do… all of that is a part of healing and health.

So yes, we can go too far, but the use of tools, making of tools, restoration, creative woodworking can be something really excellent. :D

Now for those who have tools arriving today that your wives don't know about, I might recommend a Marriage and Family Counselor sometime next week. ;)

Travis Porter
01-27-2011, 9:20 PM
When you buy multiple tools and/or upgrade tools that you have never used I would suggest you have crossed the line. Unfortunately, the line is way behind me.....

Michael MacDonald
01-28-2011, 1:06 AM
there was a lady where I worked many years ago who was buying clothes like perhaps some buy tools... but she started to embezzle from the company. She was a pretty big muckity muck too. all very scandalous. I remember in the description of her "condition" that she wasn't even wearing--or even opening--the clothes she bought. The thrill was making the purchase in the store. Bring it home, put it down, and go out again for another purchase... very sad situation. So if you ever start to buy tools without having a reason, without subsequently using them, without continuing to love them dearly... then you have a problem. Otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it. Excuse me... gotta go. that is UPS knocking.

Mike Konobeck
01-28-2011, 8:28 AM
LMAO!!!!! This hits home a little too much! I bought this app for my iPhone called MyStuff (no affiliation) and lets just say that when you really start to inventory your tools you either have to laugh or cry. Maybe a little of both. A friend of mine is in a much worse (really better) stage of his condition/illness so when my wife starts to question my purchases I just say that it could be worse (or better, depending on what side of the argument you are on).

We may need to start a program of some type. There are some groups to help us called "guilds" and "forums" but...guess that has been done already :-) Pulled the following description of the process to recovery off of Wiki for AA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program):

As summarized by the American Psychological Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psychological_Association), the process involves the following:[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program#cite_note-APA-0)

admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion; > I control each and every one of my tools just fine.
recognizing a higher power that can give strength; > Is there a higher power in the tool realm? Thomas Lie-Nielsen, Henry Disston, Rob Lee, Mike Wenzloff, Johann Felder, etc.? Each of us has our own "higher power"(s).
examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member); > We are all here and members. Most more experienced then me so I get a lot of help.
making amends for these errors; > I try to improve. M&Ts are my current area of improvement. Sometimes this requires a new tool purchase or two though.
learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior; > Starting to do more hand tool work. Might have found a new code. Can't say it is any cheaper though.
helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions. > No need to comment further. We are all here.
In all seriousness we have to live within our means and do what is best for those who depend on us. If it becomes an issue on any level for whatever situation you are in then seek help. This is probably not the best place unless you are looking to get rid of some of your tools in which case there is a classified section for that. Until then, happy shaving/saw dust making!

Ron Bontz
01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Hmmm. Me thinks therefore I am in need of therapy. Right after I buy that new edge sander. Mine doesn't oscillate.

hank dekeyser
01-28-2011, 11:53 PM
The moment I wake up.

Coffee, CraigsList, E-Bay - Allways looking for the next "addition" to the collection. 3 tablesaws, (oops,mak ethat 5 - i forgot my 2 small table saws too) 2 bandsaws, 1/2 dozen skilsaws, 4power planes, jointer, 2 drill press, 4 -5" sanders, 2 belt sanders, 13 or so routers (lost count), mortiser, mortise attachment for DP, 4 sets mortise chisels, every size nailer, 3 staplers, doubles of finish nailers, 3 -12" disc sanders, planer, lathe w/duplicator, lots of chisels, lots of hammers, and a whole lot more I'm sure- I told my sweetie "when I die, put me on the table saw and set the whole works ablaze"

Many of my doubles and triples don't get used because they are "collectables" (hahaha) seriously if I find a smokin' deal on a tool I know I will either use or is really neat old piece, I'll buy it. I have the room and I spend less than $500 a year on tools. I would rather buy an older well built power tool and rebuild it, than to purchase the brand new (sometimes lesser quality) version. It's fun. My shop is full of tools and I have less than $10k invested. Replacement cost I'm sure is at least double that. About every 3 years or so I'll get a bug up my arse and start cleaning house and have a "mans sale" and sell off a bunch of stuff. I couldnt tell you if I make any money, but it keeps me out of trouble, and I get to meet alot of other guys just like me. I buy used or auction tools almost exclusively. When I stop and think of all the tools I have compared to what I would have if I bought new, Heck I'd still be waiting to buy half the stuff I have.

No it's not a "sickness" or addiction, or whatever. It's more of a "lifestyle" for me. now if I can only find a verticle mill and an engine lathe, I'll be set.

I have to go now, so I can mourn the recent sale of my 16" beam saw, I decided I didnt need it anymore and it was time to pass the torch. I'm gonna miss that saw.