PDA

View Full Version : Piece of my Spalted Maple

Ken Hill
01-25-2011, 5:56 PM
I got cracking on this one just after first light. It is a Predator call made from some Maple I spalted last year. It is hard letting go of some of these, they are so pretty:D Both have a CA finish

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR5444/1167853317_mWUUM-L.jpg

I also cranked out a Cherry from one of my tree's. It had such even grain patterns that laying out the blank was super easy. I decided to stay real plain on the design so the grain structure could be seen in a nice even flow.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR5440/1167591453_u7Hmp-L.jpg

Dale Bright
01-25-2011, 6:12 PM
Two very nice calls, Ken. The spalting is really nice. You've got the CA finish down as well.

Dale

Michael James
01-25-2011, 7:12 PM
Very elegant stuff!
Im a city boy so we dont call predators, we just conceal or open carry!:cool:

Ron Stadler
01-25-2011, 8:06 PM
Beautiful calls as always and your pictures are just phenomenal.

Ken Hill
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I am still torn between my usual finish and the CA, but it is nice to have the choice in my arsenal!

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
The CA looks great. Have you described your procedure in an earlier thread? Seems like a wide variety of methods in the reading I have done.

Ken Hill
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Just the basic deal Baxter. Sand and sand and sand, then start building coats. I think there was 8 coats of thin and 4 coats of medium, then 0000 steel wool, clean and start with micromesh, finish with a friction polish

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks Ken, what grit do you sand to before you start with the CA. Some procedures I have read start with the CA at a pretty coarse grit then sand again.

Ken Hill
01-25-2011, 11:42 PM
I geuss that depends on the wood for me anyways.

On Cherry, I will end at 400 (wet sanded) but something like oak or an open grain I may go to 800 wet then use the 0000 before starting. With a gloss finish, be it wood or metal, the surface has to be smooth or every ripple, ding or dent will be magnified. On some woods, ive gotten away with just 3 or 4 wipes of thin and ended up with a great finish. I seem to let mine dry more then most from what I read. I dont use an activator, so once im satisfied I just let it sit for awhile before starting the final sanding/polishing.

Baxter Smith
01-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ken. I will give it a go the next time I try a stopper. Made a couple as christmas gifts and haven't done anymore. Used AO on those. Looked good but probably not as durable in and out of the refrigerator.

Ken Hill
01-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I have a TON of stuff done in a AO and wax finish that have been on my porch all winter. It was -3 in there the other morning...no issues.

One thing to remember with a CA finish....it will scuff and scratch and will start to degrade if used alot. On 95% of my calls, I stick with MAO and a good buff with wax. If there is an issue down the road, it is a whole lot easier to refinsh then strip off the CA and start anew. A pen is one thing, but something that may be set in a drawer and shuffled around is another.

I still have questions on how the CA finish will affect the way the wood develops itself over time. Its not UV stable so the natural coloring of the wood isnt protected, but it is sealed from air and the oils from your hands etc. Im not sure how those two issues will work themselves out. In 50 years, I would like someone to see my calls and love them for what they have become, not look at a half plasctic looking piece with scratches and a hazy finish....but man they sure do shine now haha!

John Keeton
01-26-2011, 7:18 AM
Ken, I like both of these, but the maple takes the prize - both in character of the wood, and I like the profile much better. I, too, am curious on the durability of the CA finish, though if it works on a pen that is handled all the time, I suspect it would be fine. Abrasion could be an issue, and I guess only time will tell.

Mike Null
01-26-2011, 7:32 AM
Ken

Beautiful work and fantastic photos.

Ken Hill
01-26-2011, 7:49 AM
I, too, am curious on the durability of the CA finish, though if it works on a pen that is handled all the time, I suspect it would be fine. Abrasion could be an issue, and I guess only time will tell.

Well, a fine pen is usually handled in a manner that doesnt work against the finish (inside a pocket in a dress shirt etc) I would imagine if one is left to roll around on a desk that it could easily see wear.

The calls hang from a lanyard, get exposed to every element there is from dust to soaking wet and they brush up against things non stop including zippers. And mine usually get flung on the dash of the truck and stay there until im hunting again haha. I found a cocobolo goose call that had been rolling around the floorboard of the back seat since last year....a wipe of Pledge had it looking like new and it was just a friction polish.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Beautiful Ken. I like both but the maple really stands out.