PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Assessing used drum sander

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 2:57 PM
I'm working on trying to acquire what would be my first tool gloat.

Performax ST drum sander for $175 or better. I've never used a drum sander so I'm not sure what to look for when I visit the machine.

Aside from the general state of the sander and hopefully running a test board or two through, are there any other major things to look for?

Thanks!

Neil Brooks
01-25-2011, 3:01 PM
If it will sand a board flat, that's a GOOD sign.

If it sands OFF flat ... that may or may not be horrendous news. Might just need to be aligned -- set to parallel.

It's got a motor ... maybe two (drum + conveyor). Both should run smoothly, and not trip circuit breakers (if present) for no apparent reason.

Everything that moves ... should move pretty freely. If anything's crunchy, either figure out why, or -- if YOU can't -- hesitate.

Take a KNOWN STRAIGHT edge. Remove the abrasive, hold the straight edge up against the drum, and rotate the drum. If the drum ISN'T flat (if you see gaps/light between straight edge and drum) ... worry and hesitate. Potentially expensive fix.

That's pretty much all I did when I bought my 16-32, and -- luckily -- I didn't learn anything ... the hard way ... that I can impart to you ;)

The other thing ... and ... if it sounds elementary, forgive me: this is business. Be cool. If red flags go up, be ready to walk. There will ALWAYS be another deal like this, or better.

Notice how little I had to know to feel comfortable in saying that ? ;)

Good luck !

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks Neil!

Just spoke with the gentleman selling it. Turns out it was made to be used on a RAS - in other words, it doesn't have a motor. Would this be worth my while trying to make it standalone? I'm thinking maybe not. I don't have much experience retrofitting older tools.

LOL, I knew that price was too good to be true! :)

Van Huskey
01-25-2011, 3:12 PM
For me there are too many Perfomax/Jet drum sanders out there to work a kludge out for one!

Joseph Tarantino
01-25-2011, 3:14 PM
walk away now. not worth the effort.

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 3:14 PM
For me there are too many Perfomax/Jet drum sanders out there to work a kludge out for one!

I've been looking for one for a looooong time. They just aren't very plentiful out here for some reason, and when they pop up, guys want 10% off retail.

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 3:15 PM
walk away now. not worth the effort.

Thanks Joseph. I've walked away. Actually I never walked TO it in the first place... :)

Neil Brooks
01-25-2011, 3:23 PM
I'm with the others.

Pass.

If you HAD to broaden your search, it's POSSIBLE you could get one of the amazing fellow Creekers to check OUT a machine for you, if it's for sale near THEM.

Maybe.

But ... yeah ... I got the heeby-jeebies, when you wrote that. If it were FREE, and I were BORED ... I dunno ... still probably have to pass ;)

Victor Robinson
01-25-2011, 3:39 PM
If it were FREE, and I were BORED ... I dunno ... still probably have to pass ;)

Aw come on Neil, where's your sense of adventure? ;)

Chris Padilla
01-25-2011, 3:50 PM
I picked up a Delta 18-36 a couple years ago...in Santa Cruz. :)

Jeremy Greiner
01-25-2011, 6:21 PM
Have you thought about building a drum sander? Shopnotes 86 had plans for building one, and there are several plans and blog posts about building drum sanders. It's on my list of projects to build, but I guess that's up to how much time vs how much money you have ;)

-jeremy