PDA

View Full Version : Recommended height of bathroom sink

Brian Deakin
01-25-2011, 2:03 PM
I am about to fit a bathroom vanity unit with a sink which is set in a work surface

Can anyone tell me if there is a recommended height to adjust the unit too

regards Brian

David Gutierrez
01-25-2011, 2:46 PM
the old standard is 30" but i have seen vanities installed at countertop height 36". The 36" height is easier for taller persons or older people with back issues like myself. if the vnaity is for general use ie children i would go with the 30" height. In a master bath it is your call.

ps 30" is top of counter subtract about an inch for the counter to get to the top of cabinet.

frank shic
01-25-2011, 2:51 PM
the old standard is 30" but i have seen vanities installed at countertop height 36". The 36" height is easier for taller persons or older people with back issues like myself. if the vnaity is for general use ie children i would go with the 30" height. In a master bath it is your call.

ps 30" is top of counter subtract about an inch for the counter to get to the top of cabinet.

keep in mind that when you resell the house it might be a gamble if you set the counter too high. i plan on using 34" for my current bathroom remodel.

Erik France
01-25-2011, 3:13 PM
We call out 32" or 34" on most bathroom counters on the custom floor plans we do. If we're not doing a lower area for a portion that might have a kneespace we will normally specify 32" for the whole counter. Kneespaces used to be just 30", but the trend lately is starting to even keep that at 32". The extra height will allow for a shallow drawer above the kneespace.

Doug Fowler
01-25-2011, 3:27 PM
Whatever height is used for kitchen cabinets, is best and most comfortable for ALL Vanities. You are building the Vanity for Your Family.......not for someone else.
There are small stools available, for young children to use, for the short time they are small, compared to the time that You will be old ha ha.

Steve Griffin
01-25-2011, 3:39 PM
Taller does seem to be the trend. I'm keep drawing 32 or 34" vanities, and having the customer ask me to change it to 36". I know that's what I prefer for my house.

As far as kids, if they are old enough to operate a faucet, they can use a step stool with no trouble.

-Steve

Dave Lewis
01-25-2011, 9:25 PM
Our 2 sink counters are set at 35". My wife is 5'-10" and I'm 5'-8".

John Morrison60
01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
If it is not a kids bathroom, the 36" height is desireable.
Both for comfortable adult use, and for resale.

frank shic
01-26-2011, 1:28 AM
you guys have inspired me. i think i'll go with a 36" height this time around. sure will make it easier to maintain the same boring pattern as the typical kitchen base cabinets!

Sam Layton
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
35" finished height for bathrooms, and 36" for kitchen.

Sam

Lee Schierer
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
If you're worried about the resale value, build a removable riser under the vanity, connect the water lines with the braided steel flex hose. Take it out when it is time to sell and adjust the drain fitting to the new height. Just be sure to paint the wall behind the vanity below the top of the back splash.

Howard Acheson
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
For master bathrooms, most of the architects around here recommend 36". For bathrooms that children might use and guest bathrooms, 30" is the standard. It's up to you. I like the 36" because I don't have to bend over as far.

David Prince
01-26-2011, 3:45 PM
you guys have inspired me. i think i'll go with a 36" height this time around. sure will make it easier to maintain the same boring pattern as the typical kitchen base cabinets!

I usually build vanities with a taller toe kick. (5 1/2 inches) to keep it from looking like a kitchen cabinet.

Brian Deakin
01-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied
I live in the United kingdom The sink in our main bathroom is mounted on a ceramic plinth and that is 32 ins high. The vanity units I have seen in showrooms are 31 inches high(780mm)

I have decided to let my wife decide and will report back with her decision which will be the correct answer

regards Brain

Von Bickley
01-27-2011, 1:33 PM
35" finished height for bathrooms, and 36" for kitchen.

Sam

I agree with Sam......

Jay Allen
01-27-2011, 7:32 PM
I have decided to let my wife decide and will report back with her decision which will be the correct answer

You didn't tell us there was a wife involved......We could have told you to just ask her in the first place. LOL

David Helm
01-27-2011, 7:36 PM
I have always used kitchen cabinets for bathrooms. Very few people seem to like the lower bathroom heights. Only ones who like them are those who are vertically challenged. My wife is 5'4" and also prefers the higher cabinets.