PDA

View Full Version : New saw

Tony Zaffuto
01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I've got lots of tools, many old, many new. As far as new saws go, I got lots, including LN's, Adria, Grammercy, Wenzloff and so forth. The new saws work very well and are very pretty. As far as the old saws go, many Disstons and similar makers. Many sharpened by Tom Law, when he was sharpening, some by Steve Cooke, when he was alive and a few by me.

Today, I took delivery of what, at first impression, may be one of, if not the best. It is also one of the cheapest. It's a saw that I have been intrigued by the design, hovering between loving it and also hating the looks. Anyhow it arrived, and in person, I like it. It fits my hand perfectly and the balance is superb. Still, what remains is how a saw cuts. In a nutshell, not only were my expectations met, but they were passed many times over. I would highly recommend buying this saw (I forgot to add my test cuts were in cherry, walnut and hard pine).

Oh, I also forgot to mention the brand. The saw is a Lee Valley/Veritas carcass saw. Cost all of $69.00 and if first impressions count, this will be one of my better buys in the past few years (I have no connection to LV).

T.Z.

george wilson
01-25-2011, 1:42 PM
Certified,truffle rooting saw pig!!!:)

David Weaver
01-25-2011, 2:04 PM
Yeah, tony, you should see if you can fit all of your saws in one picture and show them to us. Some of us poor folk never get to see them outside of the catalog!!

I know, i know...you could quit any time you like...

... or at least that's what I always tell my wife. :)

Tony Zaffuto
01-25-2011, 2:09 PM
Dayam right George! The saw may not be the eye candy that many of the modern maker's saws are, but this saw cuts beautifully out of the box and at an almost cheap price. With the prices many of the better modern tools bring, we all should post where the bargains are.

David Weaver
01-25-2011, 2:11 PM
I'd say that's surely one. I think there have been times I paid that much for a vintage saw when you include the price of the files i've blown through to get the frown out of them or cut new teeth.

It's so nice to have a new saw with a new plate and fresh teeth, it makes sharpening so much easier when it comes time to do it.

john brenton
01-25-2011, 2:36 PM
Thanks for this post. I've been in that quandry recently. I've heard nothing but good things about the LV...but damn if they aren't stupid looking.

Chen-Tin Tsai
01-25-2011, 3:38 PM
I love my LV saws. I have all three of their small saws (the two rip DT saws and the small crosscut joinery saw) and both of their carcass saws. Hopefully, they'll come out with a big tenon saw soon...

Pam Niedermayer
01-25-2011, 7:29 PM
...but damn if they aren't stupid looking.

Boy do I disagree. They look a little high tech, and are; but I think they're very attractive.

Pam

Chuck Tringo
01-25-2011, 7:46 PM
Have to agree, great saws....i do prefer the cutting action of the Crosscut to the LN that I had, but the Adria Small Rip Tenon that I had was a bit smoother, and had a little better balance and slightly more weight....a saw I may have to reacquire one day, but for now the LV is more than adequate. My favorite of theirs is actually the original dovetail saw, I love the balance and weight of it, even though I weighed the both and it is lighter, it almost feels as substantial as the carcass saw. And I must agree with Pam, their is something kind of sleek and sexy about them that I very much like, and I tend to admire their planes for the same reasons. If I remember correctly Rob did hint at a forthcoming tenon saw sometime in the late summer/early fall, but it will likely be the largest/last of this style of saw as he mentioned that it pushed the limits of the technology (I'm guessing that means the spine). I guess now then need to come up with a panel saw design :D

Tony Zaffuto
01-26-2011, 6:35 AM
Dave,

You're western PA: you could stop by anytime you want, although one of these days I'm going to try to learn to post pictures. Probably have to have my 11 year old show me. If she can't teach me, then the 30 year old daughter can!

I do have to clarify my impression of the looks. At first I was put off by the looks. Then I got attracted to the modernistic looks. In person, the saw comes to hand very well and is attractive, but in a different way than, say, the Gramercy dovetail saw, which is a very attractive, looking traditional saw (my favorite saw, as far as a dovetail saw goes).

Part of my interest in the Veritas saw is that I own a manufacturing plant that fabricates parts from powdered metal. Lee Valley alludes to the back/spine/part of the handle of this saw being made of a process that is a combo of (I think a binding polymer) and stainless steel (I think) powder. Some tools, you wonder why the vendor charges so much, with the Veritas saws, I wonder why the price is so low (Rob: don't listen to me). This series of saws is a terrific value.

There are tools I have that may not be used much, there are tools I have that I've simply collected that simply gather dust, and tools that will be used a lot. I have a saw or two that I've paid $350+ to have custom made. They are in a cabinet, and are almost too pretty to be used without cleaning and putting away. This saw will not be one of those tools.