PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Incra Jig and box making

Rob Lindquist
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
so I finally got the Incra jig Friday, installed it Saturday and made some perfect box joints the first time.

Now What? I'm having a hard time deciding what to make and how. The joints will be easy, but in all the posts and threads, even from the greats like Bill Wycko and the awesome humidors he makes, I can't quite find or decide how the bottoms are best installed etc. I know enough that I can do blind grooves and assemble the bottom while gluing up the sides, but is that the way most are doing it. Or if the bottom/base is proud of the sides can the sides just be glued to the bottom/base?

My ultimate goal is to make 4 nice jewelry boxes, one for each daughter and wife (just one wife). I envision a base with sides, then another base "layer, more sides etc. building the jewelry box up to a certain height, how would one attach the "layers". I want to practice a bit on some easy simple boxes fisrt, then I should just have to expand on it using the same techniques.

Does anyone has the Incra project book, and is it worth it? I see they have plans that would most likely help me out.

thanks in advance

Kent A Bathurst
01-25-2011, 1:55 PM
..... do blind grooves and assemble the bottom while gluing up the sides............

That's how I've always done it [home-made box joint jig/sled], but I wasn't making show pieces - I was making load-carrying drawers in the shop out of maple plywood, so my grooves are "blind" until I open a drawer and look at the sides :p.

Not sure of what you are material you are using for the bottom, or how the whole thing is built + assembled - wouldn't think this is an issue, but just in case - be sure to account for wood movement. A floating bottom would probably be needed if it is a panel from solid wood [v. ply].

Paul Bombardt
01-25-2011, 3:45 PM
Rob,
I have done several decorative jewelry boxes and have also made multiple types of bottoms. For boxes that open at the top, rather than with drawers, I've made bottoms of solid wood that I've routed a profile on, then pinned and glued it directly to the bottom of the sides. That was the simplest bottom. I've also done a lock rabbet that was glued when I put the sides together. The other choice I've made use of, especially with drawer boxes, but could be used for open top boxes, is to use a 1/4 inch dado with a floating piece of masonite as the bottom. I then line the interior of the bottom with felt and sometimes add decorative feet. This latter approach is the most forgiving if your box is not 100% square all around.

Good luck.

Paul