PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl XLV: Who is the "Real Winner"

greg lindsey
01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
The answer shouldn't really surprise you. It won't be the fans or one of the competing teams. It will be the City of Arlington and the NFL.

Finally receiving my tickets to the "big game" was a thrill, a very costly one; I could have gone on a 7-day vacation for cheaper than the ticket price alone. I'm not really complaining about the ticket price, because it was something I wanted to do. Having been to a few Super bowls before, New Orleans and Houston, I was shocked to find out what it would really cost to attend this years game. First I had a room reservation at a well-known chain, booked the room several weeks in advance. The room was quoted for 135.00 per night, OK, I only need it for one night, as it is only a 3 1/2 hr drive from home. This morning I was informed that even though I had reserved with CC confirmation that my room had increased in price because the clerk had not reserved it with my CC and because of the demand for rooms the new price will be 525.00 per night with a 3 night minimum. Forget that, I'll stay with family about 45 miles away and drive in the morning of the game, So that same family member now tells me that parking within a reasonable distance to the stadium is 1000.00 per spot, HOLY COW BATMAN, I'm pretty sure I can hire a helicopter to fly me to the stadium and drop me through the roof cheaper (hopefully there's a hole in the roof). I guess the real surprise it the lack of caring by the Hotel operator, the people gouging the fans and the NFL, it's been an if I don't like it, don't go attitude.

I read where Jerry Jones is charging 200.00 per person to stand outside the stadium and watch the game on big screens, of course you watch it for free at home, he's doing that in attempt to increase the number of ticket sales, he wants to have the largest Super bowl attendance in history, the NFL has allowed him to count this as "official" attendance.

Brian Tymchak
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] This morning I was informed that even though I had reserved with CC confirmation that my room had increased in price because the clerk had not reserved it with my CC and because of the demand for rooms the new price will be 525.00 per night with a 3 night minimum.

I think your state attorney general and newspaper should hear about this... However, they're likely BFFs with JJ so don't expect much to happen...

Lee Schierer
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
It isn't like having the super bowl in Arlington came as a surprise. They've known that for at least a year, they just didn't know who was going to play. If I had a confirmation number I would call the corporate offices of the hotel chain and complain. I would also call the BBB where the hotel is located and file a complaint. It isn't your fault the clerk didn't process the CC when you made the reservation. If you got a confirmation number they had to enter you in their system. They obviously knew how to get in touch with you so they had your information somewhere. If you used one of the online room finder services I would tell them as well. Check with your credit card company to see if they had placed a hold on your card for the room when you booked the room.

Chris Padilla
01-25-2011, 4:27 PM
There is that commercial on TV (cannot recall WHO the advertiser was) about 4 guys who've attended every Super Bowl. I bet they'd be a wealth of advice in attending the Super Bowl.

So park far away...take a bus in...a train...bicycle...walk. Where there's a will, there's a way! Now go enjoy the game...should be pretty cool!

greg lindsey
01-25-2011, 5:35 PM
Got it worked out with the Hotel, after a very heated discussion with the hotel manager I ended up at corporate, the corp person I spoke to looked up my reservation by the confirmation number, the same one the hotel manager could'nt find and not only did they apologize but offered a 50.00 diner card at the steakhouse next door. All is good, as the stauium is in walking distance. Steelers 34-Packers-28, not a real fan of either, Texans fan here, but like a good football game.

Jim gormley
01-25-2011, 5:40 PM
Glad everything worked out in your favor. I think you got your final score confused, it should read: PACKERS 34 STEELERS 28.
Dont worry, I fixed it for you.
HAVE FUN AT THE GAME!!!!!

Chris Padilla
01-25-2011, 7:04 PM
Awesome! Now you can sell your room and tickets for a premium, Greg! hahahahaha

And Jim, I think Greg has the score right.... ;)

Rick Moyer
01-25-2011, 7:52 PM
I wouldn't go to a Super Bowl if it was free and close by. I'd much rather watch football on tv. More friends to share it with, no weather issues, able to rewind if necessary, etc. I also think that sporting events in general have gotten too expensive. Quit going to Dover,De to the Nascar races when they became about four times the cost of years ago. And, if the game is lousy, I can go do something else.
Now, baseball I find much better in person. I still like the relaxed atmosphere of being at a baseball game, especially a summer day game. Guess I'm getting old! :(

Curt Harms
01-26-2011, 7:55 AM
This isn't going to change unless there are empty seats & empty rooms. I got to go to an Indy 500 in the mid '80's and watched it from a corporate suite. To the extent people were watching it, they were paying as much attention to the TVs as looking out the windows. If watching it on TV is good enough for them it's good enough for me. Unless I were going to an event with friends where the event is secondary, home is where my heart (and butt) are.

Jim gormley
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
and jim, i think greg has the score right.... ;)

ouch!!!lol

Curt Harms
01-27-2011, 8:38 AM
Awesome! Now you can sell your room and tickets for a premium, Greg! hahahahaha

And Jim, I think Greg has the score right.... ;)

It's all right, Chris. Nobody can be right all the time :D :D

Curt, who grew up in Wisconsin during the Lombardi era.

Paul McGaha
01-27-2011, 1:55 PM
I think the Packers are going to be the real winners.

PHM

Greg Portland
01-27-2011, 2:57 PM
So that same family member now tells me that parking within a reasonable distance to the stadium is 1000.00 per spot,]
Not true, that is just the most expensive parking spot available (comes with cover, flush toilets, & tailgating). I believe there is parking ~ 1mi away for $50 or so and that includes a free bus ride to and from the stadium.

Here is a listing of all reservable Superbowl parking spots: http://www.parkwhiz.com/super-bowl-parking/