PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Planer Combo and JJP-12

Rich Adamo
01-25-2011, 8:10 AM
I am in the market for a Jointer Planer combo and my budget is $2,000 but I might be able to stretch it to $2,500. I like the Jet over the Grizzly so I am looking at the Jet JJP-12 and I am trying to decide if I should spring for the JJP-12HH. I typically do not use lots of figured wood.

I am also constantly checking craigslist but nothing really comes up.

Do owner who purchased the JJP-12 regret not get the HH model.

Thanks
Rich

Russell Smallwood
01-25-2011, 8:21 AM
not specifically, but plenty of "I will probably not own another non HH _________ in my lifetime" (insert tool here) from people (myself included) who have made the switch.

Gary Venable
01-25-2011, 9:54 AM
I own the JJP-12HH and no I do not regret spending the extra. The cutters seem to last forever and it has been a great machine so far.

-Gary

Curt Harms
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I have the JJP-12 non-HH. I bought mine when they were first introduced before the helical head craze took off. If you don't do "difficult" woods prone to tearout or abrasive like some tropicals, the straight knife version works fine. I've planed tight knots and they're as smooth as the rest of the board. Knife durability is quite good. I haven't changed mine yet so I don't know what kind of a task it's going to be. There is a helical head retrofit option available from Byrd but based on what Matt Meiser found, I'm not sure about it. The JJP 12HH planer feeds at 12 feet/min., the straight blade machine feeds at 20 feet/min. I doubt Jet would have reengineered the planer feed drive train without a good reason.

Paul Johnstone
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I am in the market for a Jointer Planer combo and my budget is $2,000 but I might be able to stretch it to $2,500. I like the Jet over the Grizzly so I am looking at the Jet JJP-12 and I am trying to decide if I should spring for the JJP-12HH. I typically do not use lots of figured wood.

Thanks
Rich

You only live once.. If you can spring for the HH upgrade, go ahead and do it.. You deserve it :)
I agree with the other poster on the point that it may not be the greatest idea to retrofit the straight blade model later.
That seems pretty convincing to get the HH right from the start.

Bob Falk
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks
Rich

There was a Minimax J/P on the Milwaukee craigslist last night. I have a MM shaper and love it. bob

greg a bender
01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I have the JJP-12. Even on sale, I could not justify the additional money for the HH.
Do I regret it? Not yet. I have never used a lot of highly figured woods and probably never will.
I put the 'saved' money into more wood :)
These are very nice machines, BTW.

Greg A

Rich Adamo
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Bob
Thanks for the tip on the Minimax J/P in Milwaukee. If it were closer I would be very interested.