PDA

View Full Version : Need info on older Laguna 16hd bandsaw

Bryan Cowing
01-25-2011, 7:33 AM
there is an older 16HD for sale near me, how does this one compare to the current model. No idea as how old it is. Estate sale, no info coming back from those that put it up for sale. They are asking $1300 less than a dealer's web price on a 2011 16HD.

NICK BARBOZA
01-25-2011, 8:27 AM
Bryan,

That saw looks just like mine. Mine was manufactured in '98 (i think) and has a 2.2KW (+/-3hp) motor. The one pictured looks like it might have more than the 12" of resaw capacity that mine has, but it may just be an illusion... Its a great saw! i am currently running a Laguna Resaw King with great success.

I bought mine about 1.5 yrs ago (used) for $1500, so at $1300 I'd say you would be getting a god deal! (unless I didnt factor in the exchange rate... Just noticed yoru location)

NWB
Go for it!

Richard Bell CA
01-25-2011, 9:09 AM
Bryan:

I have a 2001 LT18, which I bought new for $2000. At that time, I believe the LT16HD was about $200 less, or about $1800. Judging by the paint scheme, I think the saw you are looking at would be a 2000 model or earlier. Since a new LT16HD is $3000, and they are asking $1300 less, $1700 would be close to what it cost new.

There are quite a few differences between the older model and the newer model. The resaw on the newer model is 16", vs 12" on the older saw. The older saw would have the european 3 hp motor, vs the 4.5 HP Baldor on the newer model. I believe they switched to Baldor motors due to problems with the european motors. I have the european motor on mine, and it has been running fine for 10 years, although it gets hotter than I like. The new saw has the ceramic guides, the older saw has the eurpoean guides. This is probably a matter of preference, you will find varying opinions on this matter. I believe there have also been some improvements in the fence, and probably other components.

There are many more choices in bandsaws these days than when this was new. If they are asking $1700, I would say it is a bit steep. (as Nick said, assuming US dollars, also not sure about the exchange rate)

Good luck

Richard

Bryan Cowing
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Bryan:

I have a 2001 LT18, which I bought new for $2000. At that time, I believe the LT16HD was about $200 less, or about $1800. Judging by the paint scheme, I think the saw you are looking at would be a 2000 model or earlier. Since a new LT16HD is $3000, and they are asking $1300 less, $1700 would be close to what it cost new.

There are quite a few differences between the older model and the newer model. The resaw on the newer model is 16", vs 12" on the older saw. The older saw would have the european 3 hp motor, vs the 4.5 HP Baldor on the newer model. I believe they switched to Baldor motors due to problems with the european motors. I have the european motor on mine, and it has been running fine for 10 years, although it gets hotter than I like. The new saw has the ceramic guides, the older saw has the eurpoean guides. This is probably a matter of preference, you will find varying opinions on this matter. I believe there have also been some improvements in the fence, and probably other components.

There are many more choices in bandsaws these days than when this was new. If they are asking $1700, I would say it is a bit steep. (as Nick said, assuming US dollars, also not sure about the exchange rate)

Good luck

Richard
A new 16HD here is listed at $3300 Canadian $, they are asking $2000. I was wondering what the resaw was. If it's 12" I will pass.

Jay Knoll
01-25-2011, 6:07 PM
Brian

That looks like my saw, 2003 version. With the ceramic guides I've got 13 3/8" resaw capacity.

Jay

Chris Fournier
01-25-2011, 6:14 PM
I've got the 18"er of that vintage and its a decent saw. Motor does run stoopid hot as Richard points out and the stock guides are pretty nasty. I replaces my guides with Carters when they crapped out. For the money that you're talking about I think that you'd be very happy if you could bring the deal home.

Carl Knapp
01-25-2011, 8:38 PM
That's the earlier 16HD with 12" resaw, 3HP euro 50 HZ motor. The replacement would the 16HD classic which I believe has now been discontinued, not the 16/16. It's still a nice saw if 12" resaw will work, It sold back then for $1,595.00 US. I guess you have to look at replacement value which was around 2,200.00 US for the classic. I would tell them what they have and make them an offer of 800.00
The new ACM has
1. stronger back bone due to the bend going up the middle
2. reinforce base
3. reinforced lower guide area
4. geared trunion
5. high low fence
6. ceramic guides, personal preference
7. 4.5 saw duty Baldor motor

Van Huskey
01-25-2011, 8:45 PM
That is too much for the saw, it is worth more in the range of 1,000, it is not comparable to the current HD by a long shot and even the Classic was more saw.

Matthew Hills
06-26-2012, 6:28 PM
Were these changes made in a single product refresh cycle, or over several cycles?
I've seen an LT16HD for sale with the 3hp motor and european guides, but with a newer paint scheme (black panels over the wheels).

Matt

That's the earlier 16HD with 12" resaw, 3HP euro 50 HZ motor. The replacement would the 16HD classic which I believe has now been discontinued, not the 16/16. It's still a nice saw if 12" resaw will work, It sold back then for $1,595.00 US. I guess you have to look at replacement value which was around 2,200.00 US for the classic. I would tell them what they have and make them an offer of 800.00
The new ACM has
1. stronger back bone due to the bend going up the middle
2. reinforce base
3. reinforced lower guide area
4. geared trunion
5. high low fence
6. ceramic guides, personal preference
7. 4.5 saw duty Baldor motor

Bryan Cowing
06-26-2012, 6:46 PM
Update on my getting a larger bandsaw. I recently picked up a 2008 Mini Max 20" 5hp single phase, with only a few hours use for 64% of the sale price with tax in that the owner paid for it in 08. Took the tailgate off my Ford Ranger and laid it on it's back for the 45min ride home. Bit of fun trying to get it off and upright, as it wanted to slide on the concrete floor. :D

Van Huskey
06-26-2012, 7:31 PM
Congrats, that is my favorite 20" Italian saw, but I am biased. :D

Interesting to see they sold it in Canada as a S500P up until recently they sold here as the MM20 guess it makes sense to have always sold them with a metric name.

Mike Heidrick
06-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice. Interesting switch someone installed. Someone change the motor out?

Bryan Cowing
06-27-2012, 3:44 AM
Nice. Interesting switch someone installed. Someone change the motor out? No, saw only has a few hours use, less than 5 :eek: I would guess. To be electrically certified by CSA, probably dictates the switch you see so it can be sold in Canada. The fellow I bought it from got into building kitchens in his garage, did 2 kitchens then quit, put the house up for sale. He also had a 2008 16" MM J/P for sale at $5000. I bought some premium select cherry off him at $3 bd ft, and a PC dovetail jig. I was searching the internet for parts for a General lathe and he had a rebuilt 260 in his ad along with the 2 MM machines. I wasted no time to get it, as it was only 30 miles away.

Erik Loza
06-27-2012, 8:47 AM
Yes, that's a CSA-compliant switch. We don't use them here in the US, so they may seem unfamiliar.

@Bryan Cowing: I agree with Van. High quality saw but I would work on the price if you could. Best of luck with your search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA