PDA

View Full Version : Rockler aluminum router lift with DW618 --"DeWalt Shim Instructions"??

Dave MacArthur
01-25-2011, 1:15 AM
I have a Rockler router table that contains their aluminum router lift made by Jessem (stamped so on the device). It holds a 4.5" router body. I didn't get the instruction manual with it, but in looking at it on the Rockler website it says it will fit the PC 890, Bosch 1617, and DeWalt 610 or 618* "Dewalt routers may require the use of shims, see DeWalt Shim Instructions". Looked at the manual online, no shim instructions, sounds like it's a printed sheet in the original packaging or something?

So... I was about to buy the DW618 PK (plunge and stationary base) kit at Lowes for $219, as that's the router I've decided is the best one in the 2.25HP range that will fit this lift. But I need to know if it will work in the Rockler lift, and what's all this about shimming? I don't have any o' them shims...

I've already got the 3HP DW625 upside down in my table-saw extension (main router station), so want a more mid-size that I can take out for handheld ops. Any advice on the 618 in the Rockler/Jessem lift is appreciated!

EDIT--- Oh why not, if anyone has advice on 2.25 HP routers and which one to buy, I'm open, and feeling like a good thread on mid-size routers! Looking at PC 890 but can't find the smoking deal at any local Lowes, always love the DW routers and PatWarner rates the 618 as tops; and the Bosch is always rated highly. Wade in on which you'd buy, if you're bored and feel like it!

Matt Meiser
01-25-2011, 8:03 AM
I'd contact Rockler or look at Jessem's site.

I like my DW618. In fact, I like it enough that when my local hardware had a 616 (fixed speed, 1.75HP I think version of the same motor) on clearance I bought that too. I can't name anything specific--I just like it. The only thing I don't like is that the screws in the base are pretty small and the aluminum pretty soft. One of my fixed bases has the holes drilled and tapped one size larger. But that was from taking it on and off the router plate. I now have one fixed base dedicated to the plate to prevent that from happening again.

John McClanahan
01-25-2011, 8:10 AM
Like Matt, I too have a DeWalt, with 3 bases. While other brands may have a feature here or there that may seem nice to have, I'm happy with what I have.

John

Bill Huber
01-25-2011, 9:28 AM
From what I can see on the Jessem site you don't need a shim for the 618. I think you have the FX life and the manual states if the router is not tight then it turn the nut to tighten it.

http://www.jessem.com/CURRENT_PRODUCTS.html

Erik France
01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I believe it is the FX too, I have been using the Jessem phenolic topped one with my 618 for several years now. Check the reviews on the Rockler Website; the first one mentions the shim kit in the manual, but not needing it with his Dewalt.