PDA

View Full Version : What kind of saw is this?

Matt Day
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
I noticed this in the local classifieds, and have never seen anything like it. Seller calls it a Radial Arm Saw, but I scrolled through all of the picture examples at OWWM and didn't see anything.

Anybody know? I'm not in the market unless of course it's a jewel:p - seller wants $100.

Van Huskey
01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
That is a pendulum saw. I have seen very heavy duty industrial versions but never a light weight like this.

Rick Whitehead
01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Also known as a swing saw. They were (thankfully) made obsolete by the radial arm saw.
Sears once sold a swing saw. I don't know if this is one of them, but it may be.
I'd pass, unless you like to live dangerously.
Rick

Mike Barney Sr
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Looks like "The Eviscerator". :eek:

Matt Day
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for clarifying guys. As I said I've never seen one before, but just looking at it made me a little scared to ever use it!

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 2:39 PM
I'd give the seller $50 for it and put it right inside the door into my shop so it is the first thing anyone sees when entering. It would be worth the $50 just to scare off the faint of heart!

Carroll Courtney
02-04-2011, 2:59 PM
Those were made so that OSHA people would have a job,or thats the reason OSHA was formed----Carroll
Little humor!!!

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 3:54 PM
I'd give the seller $50 for it and put it right inside the door into my shop so it is the first thing anyone sees when entering. It would be worth the $50 just to scare off the faint of heart!

Make sure to splatter a couple of blood stains on the table when you do this though... presentation is everything!

Tom Hammond
02-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Watching a Vincent Price movie prior to use is a requirement.

Richard Wolf
02-05-2011, 8:41 AM
I've seen a lot of those in lumber yards. Not sure there is much of a need in a home shop.

scott vroom
02-05-2011, 4:35 PM
I believe it's an old movie prop...

Tom Hammond
02-05-2011, 5:22 PM
That's actually called a Widowmaker Saw. It's manufactured by Maim and Mangle, Inc. Instead of ON/OFF buttons, they are labeled "Dismember" and "Terminate"... but NEVER PRESS THE RED ONE!!!! It was designed by a German-American guy named Lefty Missenfingers.

James Taglienti
02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I have worked in two different custom cabinet shops with swing saws and they are nearly indispensable for cutting identical length face frame components and rail and stile for panel doors. They were not replaced by the radial arm saw. They hardly perform the same task. I dont even think they pivot. Most swing saws have a crosscut of about 6 inches. Coupled with a biesmeyer stop they are accurate, precise, and much faster than a standard miter saw. They were also very safe.
That being said theyre also just about useless in a home shop.