PDA

View Full Version : Simonds Hand Saw - Handle Guard?

Mark Wyatt
01-24-2011, 8:43 PM
I recently acquired this Simonds saw. I've cleaned it just a bit to get a better picture of the medallion and see if the etch is there (it is, lightly). I found the guard on the bottom on the tote to be unique. Do you think this was a factory option or added later by a craftsman? Why would someone want a guard where this one is located?

Maybe a mini-gloat also. At auction, after watching someone pay $25 for a beat up Keen Kutter with a broken tote because it had a post-it note on it that said "Keen Kutter", I purchased this saw for $2.

Jonathan McCullough
01-24-2011, 9:39 PM
I think that's a Simonds 8 1/2. I believe the handle guard is patented (http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=280612&type=UT) (H/T hyperkitten.com) and is a feature of Harvey Peace "Perfection" type saws. My suspicion is that moving the handle in (as opposed to a classic Disston No. 7 type handle) creates the problem of weakening the lower loop of the handle, just forward of the bottom horn. So the metal plate reinforces the handle at its weakest point, and keeps it from getting banged up when cutting. If you take that metal plate off, odds are that you'll find the saw plate runs right into a line cut into that part of the handle. The crescent logo also marks it as being an earlier saw. I've run across some Simonds saws and really like the steel and the taper grinding. Nice find for $2.

harry strasil
01-24-2011, 9:44 PM
I have a Disston with a similar brass reinforcement, that a previous owner added after the thin part of the handle broke. FWIW

Rob Paul
01-25-2011, 5:26 PM
Spear & Jackson's 1915 catalogue offers their "Mermaid" saw, (which has a similar handle shape to your Simonds), with the option of a brass heel plate in the same location as your steel plate. I can't tell from the picture exactly how long the plate is. Price was 10 shillings per dozen cheaper if you didn't want the plate.
My Harvey Peace reinforcing plate (also on a similar handle shape) appears to be nickel plated brass, but it doesn't extend as far down the lower horn as your plate does.
Yours might be a factory fitted plate (I've never seen one before on a Simonds, saw or catalogue), but if its a retrofit it looks like a quality craftsman retrofit, and the saw is certainly a bargoon at $2. Congrats

george wilson
01-25-2011, 5:34 PM
I have a panel saw with the brass strip also,but can't remember the make. Actually,like Tony Z.,I have way too many saws,also.

David Weaver
01-25-2011, 5:41 PM
If any of you guys get too confused about what you have, you can mail your good saws that confuse you over to me. :)

Daryl Weir
01-25-2011, 9:02 PM
Hey Mark,

You have an earlier Simonds No. 8A than the one I have pictured below because of the crescent moon in the medallion. I have a 28" 5ppi rip that had a badly damaged handle when I bought it. Like you, I only had to pay a couple of dollars for it, so I didn't mind. I had never seen one before that. I believe they are a fairly scarce saw as I've only seen a couple of them show up on the electronic auction site besides the one I have. Evidently the A designation was a No.8 version with a reinforcing plate that was similiar (if not a little stronger as it wrapped up around the sides) to the Harvey Peace one.

179751 179752 179753

Take care,
Daryl

Mark Wyatt
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you all for your help. I think I'll set this one aside and practice my refurbishing skills on some other saws first! I am interested in seeing if I can raise a good etch. I picked up a couple of others saws at this auction for $2 as well. This could get to be as bad as the plane collecting habit. One turned out to be an Atkins and the other was a Keen Kutter. I guess I got them so cheap because no-one put a post-it note on them announcing the brand. :rolleyes:

Charles McKinley
01-26-2011, 12:28 AM
It is not a Disston or a Warn & Ted Superior saw It must not be any good. ;)

People that don't know better will only buy Disston. It looks like you bought a nice saw at a great price