PDA

View Full Version : Holdfast?

David Warkentin
01-24-2011, 8:10 PM
I believe that some here have been using the Holdfast system to clean up the bottom of their bowls. To those that use it, do you like it? Or should I spend my money elsewhere? I have only one chuck and I get tired of changing from jaws to cole jaws.

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 8:15 PM
David,

I like mine a lot.........it does a good job. Of course with any vacuum system, wood porousness will determine the amount of vacuum. If you need to you can always seal the inside with a sanding sealer before you reverse it to clean off the tenon. It is so easy and quick to set up, and I have really enjoyed mine.

JK has one as well, and he can speak for himself, but I think he is also happy.

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 8:49 PM
David, I love the Holdfast system! Works great, and with a good piece of wood, I can pull about 23" - as good or better than most pump systems. I have done a few forms that were marginal on the vacuum (13-16") and have some pop off on me a couple of times - most recently the one I just finished. With the regulator, I turn the vacuum down to about 5" and that lets me reposition by hand. Usually it takes 6-7 times, but I can usually get it dead centered again within a minute or so.

Keep in mind that the vacuum pressure (regardless of system) is related to the area on which the vacuum is pulling - in my case, the entire inside of a HF. My forms are fairly small, so that limits the holding power sometimes. On a larger form, you will get considerably better holding power from the same pressure.

And, as Roger said, many things effect the ability to use a vacuum system. If it is ambrosia maple, with holes in it - get out the donut chuck!! I have tried using Saran wrap without much success.

David Warkentin
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks. I am trying to decide if I need another miter guage or the Holdfast. The miter would be nice for some segmented work and flat work of course. Need to build mantel, bookcase, hall table, etc....

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Miter gauge? Miter gauge? How in the heck is a miter gauge gonna help you avoid doing all of that flat work while standing at the lathe? You gotta think this through!

David Warkentin
01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
A guys gotta do what a guys gotta do...

John Beaver
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't think my lathe came with a miter gauge either....Where is the slot for it ?

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I've got the Holdfast and love it. Easy to set up and use, I think way fast to set up and be ready to roll than changing out for the cole jaws.

Jon Prouty
01-24-2011, 11:42 PM
The Holdfast system is awesome... I couldn't get it to work once until I figured out the wood was porous (if you are ever in doubt about your setup, use a dinner plate to check it out). I can get over 23" Hg on mine... with a small shop compressor. Works great - awesome in fact. I also got a tailstock adapter to reverse the chuck to line everything up - easy peasy. Get one - you will love it.

Jon