PDA

View Full Version : Turning For Gearheads

Michelle Rich
01-24-2011, 7:18 PM
This was not the design I started with.:mad: As I was "indexing" by eye,:eek: I realized those new bifocals, might not be such a bad idea.!! I realized I'd never get the design I wanted, so I sat down and stared at it for awhile. Firewood? Or Design Opportunity? It looked sort of like mountain bike gears, so I thought maybe I could make something of it after all.
So this is for you Gearheads. hope you get a smile. :) Spalted Maple 10 inches .393 thick.

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 7:23 PM
Cool Michelle!

Baxter Smith
01-24-2011, 7:24 PM
Guess it does look like gears but my first thought was a shield you might see in a modern movie about battling knights and dragons. Interesting either way!

Fred Perreault
01-24-2011, 7:30 PM
Great looking.... I can hear the derailleur clicking

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 8:37 PM
Very interesting design Michelle! I can see the gears turning from here!

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 8:42 PM
Lovely work! I can't help but wonder after seeing the last few of these if you've thought above embellishing the outer rim of these forms? Adding 'teeth' to the outer edge of this form might further the 'gear' concept. I'm not capable of doing the forms or the embellishing, so I'm not sure the suggestion should be taken seriously.

Michael James
01-24-2011, 8:50 PM
Another winner, Michelle! Easy to get lost in these designs. Like the new avatar too - I remember you posted this piece.
mj

Josh Bowman
01-24-2011, 9:04 PM
Michelle, That sure is fun to look at! I like it.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 9:16 PM
Michelle that is a beauty. I like it. I finally broke down and got bifocals. Makes a difference.

Michelle Rich
01-25-2011, 6:41 AM
Thanks Gents..it did work out, tho it almost went to the woodstove. It was crazy to do as each "row" changed 4 times as it went around, and I became quite confused as I made it. And FRed, I do not hear the clicking, so after i can afford the new bifocals, I will need that hearing aid!

Carol Kinney
01-25-2011, 6:55 AM
Very nice save Michelle. This gives me a little push to try to figure out indexing some time - I love the piece.

John Keeton
01-25-2011, 7:28 AM
Michelle, another winner! While I do like the spiraling designs better, these are interesting from a different perspective - and all are well done! On the bifocal thing, my "regular glasses" which I do not wear often, are trifocals - drive me nuts!! I use full lens reading glasses from Walmart for turning - can't handle the trifocals. No telling what would come off the lathe.

GLENN THOMAS
01-25-2011, 8:27 AM
Michelle,

That's pretty cool. You should try one where the front and back are 2 separate pieces and attached in the middle so they can be rotated in opposite directions. That would make some really interesting patterns as they moved.

bob svoboda
01-25-2011, 9:37 AM
Very nice, Michelle. One of those forms that seems to change each time you view it.

Steve Vaughan
01-25-2011, 9:45 AM
That's really neat to look at. I like it. But my thinking is this, Michelle is doing this now and for some reason can't see? But the other side of me is saying, durn, just think of what she's gonna be able to do when she can see! Looking forward to it!

Michelle Rich
01-25-2011, 9:51 AM
Steve: I enjoyed your humor! Maybe it would be worse to see what I'm doing..I might get too critical!

Michelle Rich
01-25-2011, 9:53 AM
another person on another forum suggested the same idea. it would be very cool. But i have to tell you, this may be beyond my abilities. I have an idea in that direction, but doubt it will succeed. Never know though!

Rob Cunningham
01-25-2011, 1:10 PM
That's really cool Michelle. If you add some red, green, yellow and purple to different sections, and had it spinning, it could be pretty psychedelic.

Peter Hay in Aus
01-25-2011, 1:57 PM
Michelle,
None so blind as those who cannot see, rings a bell. The thrust and parry suits you well. For further inspiration check out the master of holing J.Paul Fennell in Scottsdale AZ a world top Scientist who extends themes. But then I did give you this info before.
Your round plate with different holes is neat and to the point. Well done. Random appearance lots of careful application there.
Regards Peter.

Michelle Rich
01-25-2011, 2:34 PM
Hi Peter. thanks for your comment. I am aware of Mr. Fennell. Can't see many books these days without his grand carving/piercing being in it. Hope you are high & dry . I am aware that many of your fellow Aussies are suffering massive amounts of rain/& water destruction. Stay well.