PDA

View Full Version : Are Floating Panels necessary?

Arthur Travers
01-24-2011, 6:07 PM
Make small jewerly chests with panels...Panels are 5x5 max..In the past I have
made these with inserting panels into the frame by a number of methods.. I have
noticed in various magazines that most use floating panels. Is this necessary for
these size panels? Thanks for your replies..

Chris Padilla
01-24-2011, 7:34 PM
You should look up the value for the particular wood species you are dealing with to see how much it might move over the seasons and then decide for yourself if it is necessary. I'd hazard a guess that the safest thing is to account for the wood movement and therefore use a floating panel. Make a box without floating panels and observe it over time if you're really curious.

George Bregar
01-24-2011, 7:39 PM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just make it a floating panel...I mean all the construction is the same.

Frank Drew
01-24-2011, 7:50 PM
Arthur,

If you have a compelling reason not to allow the panels to float, then I'd veneer some stable substrate (like mdf) for the panels.

glenn bradley
01-24-2011, 8:23 PM
In short, my answer is yes but, of course there are variations. I agree that letting the panels float is as easy as not. Perhaps easier because I don't have to worry about squeeze out. If you are talking about attaching the panel into a rabbet from behind with glue or some other method that does not involve a groove to float in, use a substrate and a thin veneer to avoid movement issues.

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 2:48 PM
The finger joint cedar box about that size I made in wood shop as a teenager has permanently affixed top and bottom panels. 27 years and no problem yet.

hank dekeyser
02-04-2011, 5:03 PM
5x5 panel I wouldnt worry about. Depends on the wood and its moisture content, and the environment it will live in. My Dad makes jewlry boxes and pretty much just glues all his panels solid. no problems- If concerned about it moving slight enough to reveal an "edge" finish the panels first then assemble- I'd consider a nice oil rubbed finish or similar

Van Huskey
02-04-2011, 5:25 PM
At that size I would just glue it up. If I did it and it destroyed itself I would be VERY surprised, but wood has made an idiot out of me more than once.