PDA

View Full Version : Jersey display case - ideas

Matt Day
01-24-2011, 2:49 PM
I've got a rugby jersey I'd like to mount in a wall mounted display case, but after a brief search here and on Google I couldn't find any plans to go by. I can come up with my own design (I noticed a suggestion of using rare earth magnets instead of pins) but it would be nice to have a guideline to go by. Any suggestions?

Lee Schierer
01-24-2011, 4:12 PM
I kind of like the rare earth magnet idea. You could embed one in the back and place one inside the jersey to hold that spot in place. You might need a number of magnets.

I made a case for a Redwing jersy my son has. I think I made a flat hanger out of wood that supported the body and sleeves that came out of the neck opening and attached to the back. Unfortunately I don't recall the details.

Wayne Hendrix
01-24-2011, 6:04 PM
Wood magazine has plans for a nice shadow box that can be scaled to any size and would easily integrate the ability to use magnets to hang the jersey. I am in the process of building several to use as a combination flag/patch/certificate case. It is a nice box that should look really good.

Here is a link to one place to download them: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Box-Downloadable-Woodworking-Plan/dp/B00286QZSA

Matt Day
01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm guessing there's glass in the front of that shadow box - how is it installed? I'm used to doing picture frames with rabbets to recess the glass, but with such a tall frame I'm not exactly sure.

Wayne Hendrix
01-25-2011, 9:56 AM
I'm guessing there's glass in the front of that shadow box - how is it installed? I'm used to doing picture frames with rabbets to recess the glass, but with such a tall frame I'm not exactly sure.

Yes there is glass. The glass is held in by a combination of a deep rabbet and trim strips. The cool thing and the reason that I like this one is that the trim strips are held in by the backing material which is in turn held in by strips behind the backing that are screwed to the frame of the box. This holds everything in place with no visible fasteners but allows everything to be taken apart to change the glass or any other parts as needed. Its a little difficult to explain without a picture, but the glass is there. Its actually pretty simple to build.