PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Forums

Harry Niemann
01-24-2011, 2:12 PM
What are the 2nd and 3rd best ( After Sawmiil Creek) woodworking forums?

Victor Robinson
01-24-2011, 2:16 PM
They all seem to have different personalities and vibes... I don't think we're allowed to link specific forums though.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2011, 3:08 PM
This can't end well...

Cary Falk
01-24-2011, 3:18 PM
There are other forums:confused:

Bruce Page
01-24-2011, 3:28 PM
This can't end well...

It’s a legitimate question, just don’t link to them. :)

SMC and OWWM are the only two that I visit anymore.

ray hampton
01-24-2011, 3:35 PM
do we receive a prize after we vote SAWMILL # 1

Chris Padilla
01-24-2011, 3:35 PM
Most of the ww'ing magazine have their own forum. Woodnet is another one I vary rarely visit.

Derek Gilmer
01-24-2011, 3:40 PM
I kinda like woodworkingtalk. Especially for lots of knowledgeable folks in the area of wood drying/rough milling.

Matt Meiser
It’s a legitimate question, just don’t link to them. :)

SMC and OWWM are the only two that I visit anymore.

I was referring more to the inevitable bashing of ___________. I don't even know who goes in the blank! :)

Personally, I come here and go to my club's forum consistently. I check in on Woodnet, Family Woodworking, and OWWM from time to time. I really only participate in the last one, and then only when I'm working on an OWWM project. Otherwise its too dangerous--strange machinery ends up in my shop and I end up with more projects!

Aaron Berk
There are other forums:confused:

+2 :cool:

But I do like OWWM, I use it for more "machine based" talk.

Chris Padilla
01-24-2011, 4:01 PM
'arn talk, Aaron. :)

David Hostetler
01-24-2011, 4:12 PM
I tend to be biased toward BT3Central, and Lumberjocks. woodworkingtalk is okay as well, but tends to go through dry spells...

David Thompson 27577
01-24-2011, 4:44 PM
The Burl, over at Delphi.

Scott T Smith
01-24-2011, 4:49 PM
Here in North Carolina we have a great local forum called ncwoodworker. It just passed 5000 members, about 90% are based in NC or adjacent states. The Forestryforum is the best sawmill, kiln drying and logging forum.

Jim Rimmer
01-24-2011, 5:14 PM
I used to really like the WoodWhisperer but he is going through a lot personally right now and doesn't seem to update as often.

Aaron Berk
01-24-2011, 5:21 PM
'arn talk, Aaron. :)

:D lol, thanks for the correction.Can you tell I'm a new addict? :o

I've got 1 pc of Ol'arn and just recently joined

Steve Jenkins
01-24-2011, 6:42 PM
woodcentral is another good one that seldom if ever gets out of line.

Fred Belknap
01-24-2011, 7:54 PM
World of Wood is a nice friendly place, I spend quite a bit of time there, Family Woodworking is nice to.

greg a bender
01-24-2011, 8:11 PM
After SMC, I personally like woodnet and lumberjocks.
Just stay out of the basement at woodnet unless you have thick skin.

Greg A.

Jeff Monson
01-24-2011, 8:32 PM
I go on woodweb once and awhile, there are some nice project pics there.
I also enjoy the felders owners group, very civilized and highly talented people there.

SMC is my favorite by a longshot.

Brian Ross
01-24-2011, 8:58 PM
Hard to beat this one and I have had the opportunity to meet a few members scattered across the country. We have a variety of backgrounds and everyone I met are first class people. My only regret is that we did not have the opportunity to spend more time together.

Brian

Tony Bilello
01-24-2011, 9:10 PM
In addition to the creek, I also spend a lot of time on woodworkingtalk.com - great forums. woodworking.com is kinda slow and familywoodworking.com, like most forums has great people but it too is kinda slow.

Larry Anderson
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Woodnet and here...I much prefer here.

Van Huskey
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I lurk mostly on a bunch of others all of which have already been mentioned. I find it interesting the "mob mentality", you can ask the same question on 5 forums and each forum will often have the majority agree on a single answer but over the 5 forums you get 5 different consensus.

#2 for me would be OWWM because I like 'arn. Note they have become Vintagemachinery

#3 would be woodnet more to watch the antics than anything

fred klotz
01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
The Burl, on Delphi Forums, seems to have picked up a lot of Knotheads from the FWW forum. Maybe Woodnet.

Dave Mura
01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I had no idea there were so many different forums!
WoodNet is where I spend some of my time.
I'm also registered at WoodForums, but it's really slow. They have some free plans though.
http://damianchmura.com/stub2/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.gifhttp://damianchmura.com/stub2/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.gifhttp://damianchmura.com/stub2/beda24c1e1b46055dff2c39c98fd6fc1.gif

Danny Hamsley
01-25-2011, 9:23 AM
I second Scott's point about the Forestry Forum if you are interested in rough lumber, sawmilling, drying lumber, etc. It is not a woodworking forum like here, but there are some very knowledgeable people on the lumber production side of woodworking, wood properties and in tree/wood identification.

Kent A Bathurst
01-25-2011, 9:53 AM
Yeah - The Burl. Because I used to subscribe to FWW, I ended up on Knots when I first dove into forums. Took me a bit before I rummaged around and found the Creek - by then, Knots was going through their reorg, and all the usual suspects left. I found them again on The Burl a month ago.

Nice to see what some of 'em are doing - by-and-large a knowledgeable, friendly crowd. Ain't the Creek, tho.

Also - owwm, when I lose my mind and think I'm gonna swap out a machine [when I grow up, I want to be like Chip Lindley :D]. Which did happen a few months ago with my DP. Dangerous place to go.

steven c newman
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I also go to LumberJocks, The Burl, and about three others. Used to be a "Knothead". About all I can say, without bashing some places. I'll be "nice", this time.

Ken Garlock
01-25-2011, 1:09 PM
+1 for Wood Central. Very well moderated, and many knowledgeable people.

My choice after the Creek.

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2011, 2:59 PM
I enjoy reading through the Shopsmith forum. If you stop thinking of the Shopsmith as a tablesaw, drill press, lathe etc...and think of it as a universal woodworking jig you would start to see the usefulness of the tool. Some shopsmith owners come up with some interesting jigs.

David Weaver
01-25-2011, 3:28 PM
Wood central. tends to be more experience in the average post there, and the environment is civil. I am persona non grata at woodnet, but it's not a big deal. It is more of a beginners forum than this one, and the same questions get asked over and over there.

I personally don't think the basement on WN is that bad, but then again, i"m not offended by a lot other than retailers with high prices on cheap goods and constant coupon schemes.

Rick Prosser
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
As a newbie, I searched for all the forums I could find and have tried to keep current with most. I am not active on all, but still drive by from time to time. I stay pretty active on 3-4.

In addition to SMC:
FamilyWoodwoking
NC Woodworker
WOW
Woodworking Talk
Lumberjocks
WoodCentral
Lumberworks (sawmilling)
AAW

Joseph D'Orazio
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I kinda like woodworkingtalk. Especially for lots of knowledgeable folks in the area of wood drying/rough milling.
Me too. I like that Australian site too because they do alot of boxes and their typing accent looks funny.

mike v flaim
01-26-2011, 8:29 PM
I like

Knots
WoodNet
Lumberjocks
The Burl

The Burl is pretty new so if anyone can't find it, just google The Burl Forum.

Forums that have a lot of pros are usually the most educational and informative. I seek ones that fit the bill.

Burt Alcantara
01-27-2011, 3:53 PM
I get a page redirect everytime I try theburlforum.com Also, tried the delphi link as well with the same result. Are they down?

Richard Wagner
03-18-2012, 7:49 AM
I try to avoid saying one is better than another. I visit some more frequently because the discussions there are more interesting TO ME. The discussions deal with what I am most involved with. There are aspects with all of the forums here mentioned that I like. I frequent the Shopsmith forum more than others because I have a shop built around of that equipment. I accumulated my gear while I was active duty military, moving from here to there on a frequent basis. I could not have a shop full of old iron. Now, I am addicted to my Shopsmith.

Jerome Hanby
03-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Hard to rank them, kind of depends on who has most lately posted something really great...or really stupid <g>. But on my hot bar I have links for: SMC, LumberJocks, Woodnet, and FWW. I like the blogs so I regularly surf over to PWW (need to add that to my bar)

glenn bradley
03-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I agree that forums have a personality. SMC was where folks came to escape the threads filled with posts of folks randomly giving unsupported commentary, foul language and in-fighting. As we have grown, we see more of that sort of thing trying to worm its way in here. Thanks to the under-appreciated mods for their efforts. I belong to other forums but only really visit one other with any regularity. It is small with much less activity as a byproduct of the population but, it is civil, filled with talented woodworkers and primarily discusses the craft. There are some notable others (that I am sure we are all familiar with) which are more of a drunken monster truck rally with occasional demonstrations of woodworking; I'll pass ;)

Paul Saffold
03-18-2012, 2:35 PM
Just here and about 20 individual blogs is more than enough to keep me out of the shop.:)

Jerome Hanby
03-18-2012, 9:58 PM
Just here and about 20 individual blogs is more than enough to keep me out of the shop.:)

You know, there is a pretty good point. If I didn't sit in front of a computer all day programming and have lots of idle time during regression testing, I probably wouldn't read any forums unless I had a problem.

scott spencer
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Woodworkingtalk, Woodnet, BT3, Wood Mag, and Lumberjocks among others.