PDA

View Full Version : Where is the most reasonbly priced DNA found?

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 1:37 PM
Do any of you have a good place to purchase DNA? I can get is locally at the Ace hardware for $16.99 a gallon + tax, but I was wondering if other places have been found to be less expensive?

I think I need at least 3 gallons to do the drying method.

Can it be purchased over the internet? I did not know if carriers like Fedex or UPS would ship it.

Gary Max
01-24-2011, 1:42 PM
Check Sherman Williams---some times they have deals on 5 gallon cans.

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 2:39 PM
Roger, with the "garbage bag" method, you will only need 1/2 gallon at most. I have done 2 HFs to date in my "bag" and I don't think I have lost more than 1/2 cup of alcohol, at most. Of course, if you are going to soak several at once, or do very large pieces, your needs may differ. I would think shipping on a flammable would eat up any savings. Gary's idea sounds the most promising.

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I called our local Sherwin Williams, and they only had one gallon and quart size containers. They were higher even with the contractors discount than my local ACE hardware.......which gave me an additional 10% off the price as well. I am a regular customer there for saw blades, router bits, and I have bought a Delta cabinet saw, dust collector, etc, etc, etc......so they love me there!

I purchased 3 gallons to start........I am going to have to get JK to explain that "bag method" to me, as I may have missed something over this forum.

Roland Martin
01-24-2011, 3:23 PM
I just ordered a 5 gallon can from a local paint store I use, should be in tomorrow. When I ordered it, he told me it would be $35-$40.

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 3:26 PM
Roger, I don't buy but a gallon at a time. Having said that, I've got probably a gallon and a half, maybe two, in a five gallon bucket that I soak stuff in. I've got that much more than a gallon in the bucket, cause as I've lost some due to evaporation or soaking into pieces, etc., and I've added the gallon at a time.

The trashbag method is very simply. When I rough-turn something larger than what would fit in my bucket, say a 12" or 14" platter or bowl, I take the bowl, and "fit" it into my pile of shavings. Then, I take put the bowl/platter into the bottom of the trashbag and set it down into the molded area I just created in the shavings pile, pulling some shavings up above the top edges of the turning. Then, I just pour some DNA into the bag, pull the bag up tight around the turning, and there ya go! I use a small hand clamp to keep the bag closed and keep that above the level of the trashbag. Hope that helps.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 4:01 PM
Roger - I get mine from Menards and it usually runs around $12 a gallon. I would think any of the big box home improvement type stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Etc) would carry it - and probably a lot cheaper than the smaller hardware stores.

James Combs
01-24-2011, 4:31 PM
Roger - I get mine from Menards and it usually runs around $12 a gallon. I would think any of the big box home improvement type stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Etc) would carry it - and probably a lot cheaper than the smaller hardware stores.

I get mine from Lowe's because it is close. It's around $16 a gallon at the local Lowe's.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 4:47 PM
Wow! At that price I would be waiting for a sale!

Carol Kinney
01-24-2011, 4:54 PM
James - did they have it in containers larger than 1 gallon?

I'm looking for DNA in a 5g container and figured I'd jump in :). I plan on doing 10 or so pieces at once and getting it in a 5 gallon container rather than 1 gallon for a better deal. If it isn't any cheaper or hard to find, than I might just go with 3 of the 1 gallon containers also. After reading a thread that John had posted about using garbage bags (as you guys mentioned above) I thought I'd try it. I was also going to use shavings to make a nest for the pieces to try to get even more out of the DNA. I have 3 pieces that are about 18 x 6 but the remaining are smaller - 10 x 3, a few that are around 7 x 5. It sounds like 3 gallons would be more than enough, is that correct?

BTW - I tried this a few weeks ago with 2 rough cuttings working out just fine but one that I rough cut to thin cracked in about 3 places. It sounds like one of the keys is the thickness of your roughed out piece.

Scott Hackler
01-24-2011, 5:15 PM
I buy mine in 5 gal buckets from Sherwin WSilliams, but they have to order it from thier warehouse. I pay less than $50 tax included. Seems like last time it worked out to $9.50 per gallon +tax. I have done this a couple times and it's always been that price and a 3-5 day wait for it to come in. FYI

But you will still need a different bucket with a full size lid because these 5 gal buckets only have a pour spout.

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 5:23 PM
Carol and Roger, I've used that trashbag method several times. There were a few times when I rough-turned maybe three bowls/platters of descending size, so that I put the largest in the bottom of the bag, then the next size inside that bowl, then the smallest inside that one. That way, I've got three bowls in the bag, but not all that much DNA. If I didn't feel like I was getting good coverage, I'd go out now and again and push the bag down into the middle so I could sort of 'swish' the DNA all around to redistribute.

Kevin Stanbary
01-24-2011, 5:32 PM
To date, I've bought mine a gallon at a time from the local BORG for I think about $16.00 a gallon. Out of curiosity, I just went to look at amazon... they have a 5 gal offered through acehardwareoutlet for $43.99... plus $41 shipping.

Don Nurmela
01-24-2011, 9:36 PM
I get mine from Nelson Paint in Kingsford, Mi. It is $45 for 5 gallons, here is link. http://www.nelsonpaint.com/T11-5Gallon-Pail
Nelson paint invented the paintball, just a little trivia

Rich Aldrich
01-25-2011, 6:19 AM
I had my local ACE hardware order 5 gallons for $50, no shipping cost.

Carol Kinney
01-25-2011, 6:36 AM
Well it looks good enough to take a look on the Internet and visit around the stores today. Looks like anything under $50 is a good price. I have the Big Box Store around me and a hammerheads Ace HW - I'll hit the Ace first. I might not need that much right now but I have a lot of green wood so I'm sure I'll need more within a few weeks. If the price is right I'll get the 5g otherwise 2 - 3g might do the trick for this go round. The hunt is on today!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I buy mine from Sherman Williams for less than $50 for 5 gal. I use a tote from Wally world. I mark the level I want and as it goes down I just add some fresh.

Rob Cunningham
01-25-2011, 1:01 PM
I bought a 5 gallon can of DNA from my local paint store (Benjamin Moore) last year. It was @ $ 45 as I recall.

Jon McElwain
01-25-2011, 1:39 PM
Granger sells a gallon for $13.