PDA

View Full Version : Hello from across the pond!

Richard Kennedy UK
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone!

I have just joined the forum and thought I should say hello. I have been turning for a while and am in the process of upgrading my lathe. I have 2 workshops one in England and one in Scotland I work winter in one and summer the other. I also run a tiny gallery in Scotland over the tourist season.

I used to pack up my Record CL3 and transport it between the two but I have decided finally to upgrade. So in Durham England I have just taken delivery of this

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/r1kx/VB-Unwrapped.jpg

However before I had a chance to get to know Herbie (thats the lathe) I broke my foot and so am frustrated waiting to get back into the shop! In Scotland I have ordered a 3520B in white (Jet) kind of an anaemic mustard monster:) Its exactly the same spec as the PM but for a European spindle thread I am expecting it to arrive at the end of February. As for what I make - or hope to make on these machines well here is a sample.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/r1kx/Anatir3fullsize.jpg

Hope you like! I look forward to saying hi and picking your brains for tips and hints.

Richard

Michael James
01-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Richard, welcome from NM, USA That's some beautiful work there! Looking forward to seeing more.

Dan Hintz
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
LOVE that bowl...

Linda Persoon
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Wow! This thread gets better every day. A warm welcome from the other side of the pond. Looking forward to seeing what you make with the new lathe!!

Hoping your foot heals quickly and you are back to making some more beautiful pieces soon!:)

Linda

Richard Galloway
01-24-2011, 11:29 AM
From the looks of that bowl, it is us that will be picking your brain! Starting with, what is the wood you made that from?

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Richard, welcome to the creek!! That is one awesome lathe and some beautiful work on the pierced bowl. Looks as though your contributions will easily outweigh the "picking of our brains"!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Richard - Welcome to the Creek! I have been a big fan of your work for quite a while now! Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing lots more of your work!

You guys are in for a treat! Check out some of his work: http://www.bolegallery.com/page3.html

Pete Jordan
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Welcome Richard!

You certainly have two fine machines and your work is exceptional!

Roland Martin
01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Richard. You do some spectacular work and am certainly glad you decided to share with us.

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh right... You come waltzing in with that weenie lathe and expect to be taken seriously! It's a good thing you included a picture of your work.

That platter or bowl or whatever you want to call it is just too much! I love the way you photographed it because the shadow almost becomes part of the piece. Very nice indeed!

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Welcome and thanks for sharing. That bowl is just fantastic!

Jeff Moffett
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome, Richard. As your countryman Jimmy Clewes would say, that piece is "dead bunny...absolutely stunning!" The photography is a beautiful compliment to the bowl as well. I'm glad you're here and look forward to seeing more of your inspiring work.

James Combs
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome to SMC Richard. That is an unbelievably nice piece of work for your first post. Raises the bar considerable for most of us. BTW what brand name is Herbie, I have not seen one like it, not that I have seen a lot of lathes but...?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Richard...Welcome to the Creek....and what a splash you made with that pierced bowl!

I am facing the east and bowing down! WOW!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-24-2011, 1:35 PM
Your work doesn't even depend on dramatic grain or exceptional natural coloring. It's all you. We look forward to your input. By the way, I hope you post pictures of those lathes in their working environment. It's fun to see an artist's shop. On which Isle do you live in during the summer?
faust

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 1:44 PM
Welcome to the the "Creek!" Is that the VB36? Exquisite work on your first showing........I look forward to seeing more of your work, and hopefully learning a bit along the way!

Mark Hubl
01-24-2011, 1:44 PM
Welcome aboard Richard. I have enjoyed seeing your work else where, it will be great seeing it here.

charlie knighton
01-24-2011, 1:54 PM
Welcome Richard, nice lathe gloats, very nice bowl, hope your foot heals, this board moves along a little faster than other forums i have seen you on .....again welcome

Baxter Smith
01-24-2011, 1:58 PM
Welcome Richard. Very nice lathe and even nicer work!

Duff Bement
01-24-2011, 3:59 PM
From the looks of the picture it may be us doing the pickin. Nice work and welcome to the Creek.

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 5:32 PM
Welcome Richard, and umm, I'm thinking that we might be the one to pick your brain! What a neat sounding set up you have, and that's a great lathe and great bowl there!

Nate Davey
01-24-2011, 5:37 PM
Pick our brains Richard?????????::) Welcome and what exceptional work you do. Love your site.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-24-2011, 6:08 PM
Welcome Richard, It is good to have a new member from the British Isles. As the son of a British War Bride I have a great appreciation for your country and after seeing your new lathe I am as close to envy as I have been since I upgraded. That is one beautiful VB. I also must say your work is wonderful. Please do not hesitate to show us a lot of it and share your turning experience. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and a return to those curlies.:)

Richard Madden
01-24-2011, 6:28 PM
Welcome, Richard. I don't want you to feel bad, but after seeing pictures of your work, both here and on your website, I have decided to sell my lathe and give up turning altogether. I might also need a new keyboard...I think I drooled on this one. I do hope you will frequent this place, as there will be considerable brain picking...

Jon Nuckles
01-24-2011, 6:35 PM
Not too shabby, Richard. Welcome aboard.

Scott Hackler
01-24-2011, 6:59 PM
Welcome Richard. I hope that you are a frequent contributor as your work is outstanding. I have seen some of it before and this picture demonstrates your skill. Awesome!!

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 8:36 PM
Welcome indeed! That's a lovely piece you posted, and I hope it will be the first of many posted here. You should be able to turn some nice pens and bottle stoppers on that little lathe you got there!:D

Ray Bell
01-24-2011, 8:48 PM
Every time I turn out something that I think is somewhat decent somebody comes out with something like this. Absolutely beautiful Richard. Keep them coming.

Josh Bowman
01-24-2011, 9:09 PM
Richard, welcome. Can't wait to see more of you wonderful work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 9:15 PM
Welcome to Creek Richard. What a way to jump in with a beautiful bowl.

Steve LaFara
01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Wow! I'm jealous of the lathe and your talent!

GLENN THOMAS
01-25-2011, 8:40 AM
Welcome to the creek and be prepared to have your brain used and abused. We look forward to seeing more of your work.

Richard Kennedy UK
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey there everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome and more thanks for all the nice comments :o

to answer one or two questions, the bowl is made from Lime which is coloured black - it makes the piercing stand out better. My Scottish workshop is on the mainland not an island I can see the islands of Gigha, Islay, and Jura from my house but thats as close to an isle as I get!

If I can help anyone (or if you think I could) please ask feel free to e-mail, or pm me at the moment I am online far more than when I am able to turn but I try to keep up with whats what on the forums I contribute to.

I recognise just how lucky I am to be able to turn on the lathes I have. Up until November all my work was made on a record power CL3 including the one I posted. The VB36 is a dream come true but I have yet to explore its personality I am still in Record power mode so it will be a short while before I am up to speed with it. Same goes for the 3520B which hasn't yet arrived. I am really interested to compare the quality differences between it and the VB. I have heard nothing but good reports about the PM so am really excited to see it in the flesh! For some reason over here in the UK they aren't popular yet when comparing them to other similarly priced machines they seem to out class them by a mile! Time will tell.

I will have a ton of questions for you all I am sure. I feel, as I guess lots of woodturners do, That I have lots I need to learn at the moment mainly how I am going to unload, unpack and put together a 700lbs 3520B with minimal assistance!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Richard

Chris Stolicky
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I remember seeing that piece on wow and it still amazes me. Welcome.

Bob Bergstrom
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Haven't stop drooling over the lathe enough to look at the bowl. Oh How did I miss that. Wow beautiful job. Black is beautiful.

Cathy Schaewe
01-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Somehow I missed this - Richard, I'm really glad you joined us. I've spent a fair amount of time poring over your gallery ....