PDA

View Full Version : A little mesquite

Alan Trout
01-24-2011, 9:57 AM
Well, I had a busy Saturday cutting up and Sunday morning hauling off.

I know this single mother that has no money. She called and said that she had a downed mesquite tree in her yard. This happened about 3 months ago when we had a pretty heavy windstorm come through town, 60+mph winds. I told her that I would be more than happy to help her out and I would come out and cut up the tree. One of my club buddies of course also volunteered to help cut it up and haul it off. Total it was about 4 pickup beds full of wood. I kept a couple and my buddy kept a couple of loads. Some mistletoe burl but not a lot. However some pretty interesting grain patterns and about four 24" + or - bowl blanks and several large and deep hollow vessel blanks without any pith. Overall a pretty good haul. :D She still tried to give me money. Of course I refused her offer.

The only problem is after a weekend of this my back is not in great shape. O well what we won't do for our hobby.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Congrats on some good looking wood Alan. That ought to keep ya busy for a day or two. I know about the back. The older I get the worse it gets. LOL

charlie knighton
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
nice haul, hope your back come back

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Alan, as moderator I really felt I should have edited the title to this thread as it is clearly deceptive!!!! That ain't no "little" bit of mesquite!!!;):D

I do have an idea, though. Why not fill your trunk with that when you leave for the symposium, and I will get at least some of it out of the way for you!:rolleyes:

Jim Burr
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Is it really possible to use that much wood:confused:!? Not being a fan of waste...you really should donate to as many turning funds as possible:D:p;)!

Michael James
01-24-2011, 11:15 AM
NIce gesture and a nice haul. I'd call that a win/win situation!

Alan Trout
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
John,

I am looking for the special piece for you When I can find it you will get it. Same for Cathy Schaewe as she sent me a wonderful piece of her oak burl. I am not really a big fan of making natural edge bowls but I do see a few in my future. Our club meeting is this week and I am planning on giving some away at it. There is a solid burl stump near my house that is probably 40" across and 8' in height nothing but burl. It is at a private school. I am going to ask If I can remove it free of charge. I bet it weights over 2 tons:)

Thanks,

Alan

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Alan, I look forward to a wood exchange!!

Baxter Smith
01-24-2011, 2:07 PM
Looks like more than a little! Great gloat!

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 4:07 PM
That is quite the gloat Alan!!! Sure is some pretty looking wood!

And - Good on you for helping out someone - you set a great example!

Allen stagg
01-24-2011, 7:17 PM
I live in Southeast Texas and sure wish we had mesquite here in this part of Texas. It is considered trash by people that have it and sure wish we had that kind of trash wood instead of Chinese Tallow which were are overrun with and it is true trash wood. Mesquite is beautiful wood and it smokes up good with the trimmings in the smoker. I have a few pieces of Mesquite and one sitting on the lathe but I have been down for two months with my back problems that developed in November. Been off for two months and just return back to work but still having problems and hope to get back on the lathe soon to turn that mesquite hunk of wood that is sitting on the lathe right now. Lots of hollow spots that will be a real challenge.

Rich Aldrich
01-24-2011, 8:04 PM
Nice haul! However, it is more fun to do this work with snow on the ground:eek:. You probably dont see much of that stuff in your neck of the woods.

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 8:09 PM
Nice haul, Alan, and a nice gesture to boot! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of that mound of beautiful wood.

Carol Kinney
01-24-2011, 8:50 PM
Very nice haul Alan! I just traded with someone on this forum for a piece of mesquite (they got some of my Rosewood). I can't wait to give it a turn on the lathe. That was very nice of you and boy did you get a bunch of wood for your good deed.

Alan Trout
01-24-2011, 9:25 PM
Nice haul! However, it is more fun to do this work with snow on the ground:eek:. You probably dont see much of that stuff in your neck of the woods.

The weather has been pretty nice the last few day's. It might get a little chilly in the morning but never like you guys up north have to deal with. This afternoon it was probably 70+ degrees. Today I went and picked up the last of the Big pieces. I had a bowl blank that I know will go over 200lbs. Several others will range from 50lbs. to 100+. I had to put these in the back of the truck by myself. Kind of a pain but got it done.

Alan

Brian Effinger
01-24-2011, 9:28 PM
Great haul. Color me green