PDA

View Full Version : direct buying of amboyna and afzelia?

Darin Hornsby
01-24-2011, 9:28 AM
Does anyone know where to buy amboyna and afzelia direct? Or where to buy them as inexpensively as possible? Please do NOT say ebay (whatever 'cheap' price you get is wiped clear by S&H costs). It's not about being able to find it, that's easy. It's about getting it as cheap as possible.

I tried Alibaba but those guys won't return my emails because I'm not buying 5 metric tons!
Thanks,
Darin

Scott Hackler
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
You should try Mike Smith (member here), Glimer Woods (google them) or Bad Dog Burls (google them too). I believe all have access to amboyna but dont know about quanity available and cost. Aint gonna be cheap for amboyna, but boy is it awesome.

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 1:38 PM
Don't know anything about direct purchasing especially for small quantities. There's a guy in Hot Springs, AR that used to sell a lot on eBay, but he now has his own website. I don't think cheap is ever gonna be associated with amboyna, but he had sales from time to time that made the prices less painful. The website is spacitywood or something like that. Also, Isaac Rapelje who is a member here deals in importing burls from all over, and I know he's had amboyna in the past... Best way to contact him is through the IAP website in the individual classifieds. Let us know if you find a bargain.

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2011, 3:44 PM
You get cheap amboyna burl from the same place you get the cheap gold. I had a link but I lost it. If I find it again, I'll post it.http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Gary Max
01-24-2011, 3:50 PM
David at least you didn't tell him the best prices for afzelia are located in South East Asia

Darin Hornsby
01-24-2011, 3:54 PM
Thanks Scott and David K. I haven't found a bargain yet, which is no surprise reading David D's post! I think reality is sinking in, so let me ask a different question (may create a new thread). What burls do you like that aren't stupid expensive?

David E Keller
01-24-2011, 5:15 PM
If you can't find them locally, you're going to pay a premium for burls. Cherry burl and maple burl are seemingly more plentiful than others, so the prices tend to be better than the imports. Mike Smith has been a supporter of the forum and several of the folks on here use him for claro walnut and big leaf maple burl... He's got other stuff too. I'm sure someone will provide the website as I can't seem to find it.

You should try to make contact with your local tree services, as they've been a great source for me locally. Also, check and see if your town has a dumpsite for trees after they've been removed. Both can be hit and miss, but they're great sources for free wood including burls.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a source for cherry burl or want to know more about contacting the sources I listed above... It's green wood, but it's pretty stuff.

Tim Heacox
01-24-2011, 6:13 PM
A good friend of mine sells on ebay. His userid is islewoods. He is a co-worker. PM me for more details.

Tim

Harry Robinette
01-24-2011, 9:55 PM
Darin
Try West Penn Hardwoods in New York state