PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions and feedback wanted

Darin Hornsby
01-24-2011, 9:06 AM
Hey, guys. I'm very new to turning, though it has quickly become a new obsession! I have a few questions (actually I have a ton, but thought to start off slow):

When doing a type of handle where you need to finish or turn one end (i.e. a bottle stopper), I use my Nova chuck to hold one end in so I can turn and finish the other end. The issue is that it typically gets very wobbly. I typically start off with using a drive & live center and get as much done as I can, then switch to the chuck to get that one end done. Am I going about that wrong? The only way I can get any work done is by holding the piece still with one hand.
Rust removal products- I just bought Evapo-Rust to remove rust from my lath and some chisels (I bought them used). I LOVE that product. It works miracles. Now that I got the gunk off, what do you recommend to lubricate moving parts- i.e. live center, drill chuck, etc?
Lastly, I'd like y'alls feedback on my latest project- I made a handle for my espresso maker's portafilter. What do you think? It's from cocobolo and I made a cap from River Red Gum burl.
Thanks!
Darin

Tim Rinehart
01-24-2011, 9:32 AM
Welcome Darin, you'll find lots of great advice here...hopefully, mine will help too!:rolleyes:

From what you said, I think the wobble may be in part due to switching from a drive center to the chuck. Your best situation is to chuck a piece of wood one time, start to finish. That being said, you may need to pre-drill the one end prior to chucking it. I would always leave a little material on the 'finish end' that I can bring the tailstock up for support, and then lightly take off that remaining 'nub' when all other turning is done. Very light cuts when unsupported at the tail end, especially if the piece has some length to it. (more than a couple inches) You'll get feel for it.
New Info...Another thing to consider if you need to have one end unsupported (or even on some supported at tail, but tending to 'whip' the piece a bit) but it's getting kinda long, a steady-rest can be used. These can be purchased, but are pretty easy to build basic one using in-line skate wheels.

I routinely wipe my lathe and sliding rests with WD-40 before each use. Occassionally...I've used a product called Boesheild...but I think WD works fine and makes things move nicely and helps stave off rust.

I like your handle on this project...looks nice with good details. I really expected something like "kentucky coffee burl" or something like that...for conversation only. The wood you chose looks great!

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 9:45 AM
Your handle looks great. I pretty much follow the same routine as Tim with spindle pieces. If I get rust started, I use a Scotch-Brite pad with WD, wipe it all off and apply a layer of paste wax to the ways and bottom of banjo and tailstock-seems to provide a good protection against rust, even when turning wet wood and keeps things sliding smoothly.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 9:57 AM
I do pretty much as Tim does. I drill my hole on the end first to accept the piece. I then round the wood between centers first then move it into a chuck still supported by the tailstock. I finish turning it and when it is ready to be turned off I turn it down to a small nub on the end, remove the tailstock and support the piece by hand to finish seperating it. I also scrub the bed and tailstock with WD40 and scotchbrite pad. After wiping off I put a light coat of Johnson's paste wax on to prevent rust.

Baxter Smith
01-24-2011, 2:14 PM
Nice looking handle! Good luck on the next one.

Roland Martin
01-24-2011, 3:33 PM
Nice job on the handle and a nice finish. Paste wax works great for me also.

David DeCristoforo
01-24-2011, 4:01 PM
Ahh... now there's a man after my own heart! Love the cocobolo handle. But you really should have photographed it in the machine. I gotta know what machine you have...