PDA

View Full Version : A few of my latest calls and a little gloat.

Jack Mincey
01-24-2011, 7:13 AM
Here is a quick shot of some of the latest calls to come out of my shop. they are more of my red oak burl, osage, and the crow call is bocote. I got a check this week for the article I wrote for Woodturning Design Magazine that are for sell this month, on how to make a turkey calls. It was great to be asked by the magazine to write an article, but even better to be payed for the effort. I would also like to give the Creek a big thank you since I was contacted here by way of a PM, asking if I would be interested in writing an article on how to make the calls.
Thanks,
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1669.jpg

brian watts
01-24-2011, 7:23 AM
very nice jack.. that burl is un-real

Roger Chandler
01-24-2011, 7:25 AM
Very N-i-c-e!!!!

Ken Hill
01-24-2011, 7:26 AM
Burl works!

Russell Eaton
01-24-2011, 7:26 AM
Those are some cool looking calls. I wish you had some pictures of the front of them. I read your article, congratulations and it was very informative.

Tim Thiebaut
01-24-2011, 7:59 AM
Congrats on your article! I will have to try and find that issue of the mag as I am really interested in making those calls.

John Keeton
01-24-2011, 8:02 AM
Jack, you sure have made good use of that oak burl!! Those are some beautiful calls - does the one with a larger center opening have a different sound?

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Those are some great looking calls Jack. Congrats on the article.

Rick Robbins
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Great looking call's. i bet they talk Turkey also. Rick

Baxter Smith
01-24-2011, 2:11 PM
Congrats on the article! I will have to look for it. I have a nephew that likes to turkey hunt. Great looking calls!

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 2:14 PM
Nice calls and congratulations on your (paid) article. Can't wait to read it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2011, 4:09 PM
Very nice work Jack! Congrats on getting published!! Does that make you famous now? Bet your students thought that was big stuff!

Jack Mincey
01-24-2011, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have to take a copy of the magazine to my high school English teacher, because no one would be more shocked than she, that I was able to write anything that ever got published. I really liked her as a teacher, but writing has always been a challenge for me. Since I was able to get this article published I have a few more items that I hope to write up and see if I can get them published in the future. As John pointed out, I have tried to get the most out of the large oak burl. It is just to nice to waste the smallest amount. Russell, I am posting a pic of the surface so you can see it. John, the one with the large hole is what is called a two sided pot which I like to hunt with. You can use the top side which is ceramic or flip it over and use the glass surface you see in the back side. The sound is a little different, but no two turkey's sound just the same anyway. I will admit that this one started out as a one sided call, but the small hole in the middle chipped badly so I turned it into a two sided call. Everyone knows how design opportunities happen, but a do prefer the two sided calls.
Thanks Again,
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1670.jpg

Ron Stadler
01-24-2011, 6:18 PM
I second the burl, those are real beaut's, but they all look so nice.

Brian Effinger
01-24-2011, 9:15 PM
Beautiful calls, and congratulations on the article. I read it when I got my copy a few weeks ago, and thought it was well layed out and written.

David Warkentin
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I also want to say that was a great article. Cleared up some mystery for me.