PDA

View Full Version : My Current Harp Guitar Project

Mike OMelia
01-24-2011, 1:27 AM
I have tons of pics, and things are further along. I am doing the binding right now, want to save that for later (pics). You can see where I have cut the first inlay channel (for purfling). The purfling is identical to the rosette material. It's all wood purfling, many many layers of dyed maple. The making of the purfling is a complex process of layering the veneers into a bar, cutting them into angled segments, regluing to form a new bar, then slicing into material suitable for inlay (and lots of heat pipe time).

Chris Fournier
01-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I have tons of pics, and things are further along. I am doing the binding right now, want to save that for later (pics). You can see where I have cut the first inlay channel (for purfling). The purfling is identical to the rosette material. It's all wood purfling, many many layers of dyed maple. The making of the purfling is a complex process of layering the veneers into a bar, cutting them into angled segments, regluing to form a new bar, then slicing into material suitable for inlay (and lots of heat pipe time).

Looks great so far Mike!

John Coloccia
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Shoot, that seems like a lot of work! I'd love to see more pictures.

Mike OMelia
01-24-2011, 8:46 PM
Shoot, that seems like a lot of work! I'd love to see more pictures.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't. But this is Number 2. I am still figuring things out. So I take my time and ponder my next move, much like playing chess. No doubt, fitting the harp peghead and block is by far the toughest thing. Here is a picture of Number 1. I know a lot of folks see a lot of different things when they see one of these for the first time (mickey mouse, freak of nature, ...) but all I see is sexy on a stick.

clinton rich
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
"Sexy on a stick"? What do you figure the bass string scale to be on that guitar? Or doesn't it matter being no frets and all. Clinton

Mike OMelia
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry, typo... sex on a stick (old southern expression). The bass strings are tuned sympathetically with whatever tuning on the six string. The possiblilities are really endless. If you would like to see and hear a good example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VUGoyByLA).

clinton rich
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Ok, but what is the length from the bridge to the bass string tuners? What gauges are you using on your bass strings?

Michael Hedges was truly a gifted artist.

I kinda like the typo over the old southern expression :)

Mike OMelia
01-26-2011, 7:32 PM
Yeah, I guess when modern manufacturing began putting everything on sticks (apples, popsicles, ice cream, corn dogs, eg) it wasn't long till someone coined the expression "sex on a stick". But you get the point.

As for the length, I could measure it. But it is, for some reason, not a critical design issue. No frets sorta makes it so. I have wondered the same thing (why). One reason to get them as long as possible is that the lowest gauges are really hard to tighten. But I cannot remember the numbers. Only the first two might you ever find on a real 6 string, that much I recall.

see this here: http://www.harpguitarmusic.com/strings-steel.htm

Mike

Josiah Bartlett
01-26-2011, 8:43 PM
Wow.

Are those compensated/fanned frets or is that just a lens effect?

You are right about the bass string length- although it does matter for tone and tension required on a given gauge string, it doesn't make a hoot of difference when there are not frets. Are you using steel or nylon/gut strings on that?

Mike OMelia
01-26-2011, 9:28 PM
Just regular frets. The strings are steel. though I just noticed you can get nylon core.

Michael James
01-27-2011, 7:28 PM
Sorry, typo... sex on a stick (old southern expression). The bass strings are tuned sympathetically with whatever tuning on the six string. The possiblilities are really endless. If you would like to see and hear a good example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VUGoyByLA).
Mike, looks like a great job going on there. Congratulations, and thanks for the Michael Hedges video/soundbyte.... now there was a freak of nature for you and what a beautiful one he was. Truly gifted man.

Mike OMelia
01-27-2011, 7:36 PM
As much as I think the candy cane purfling looks really nice, It is not something I would have thought of myself. I am more of an Earth color type. In my mind, I am envisioning the same pattern, but in browns, blacks, whites, and as of now, the fourth color eludes me. Maybe someone here can suggest a good color.

Mike OMelia
02-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Update: I been spending a little time in the carvers forum figuring out how to do the maple inlays below (in the harp peghead). You can read about that there if you wish to know more. I have included a picture of an original Dyer peghead.. inlay material then was that nitro-acetate stuff. Pre-plastics era stuff, still used today. You can also see that I finished the purfling inlay. The back of the guitar is fully bound, all that remains is to bind the top and some shellac, mabe some epoxy work on the peghead, a little color work on the purfling, and its read to spray!

Mike

Mike OMelia
02-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Got the top bound. Still have trim work and sanding to do.

Aaron Koehl
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I lived right down the street for many years from Stephen Bennett (www.harpguitar.com), a reknowned Harp Guitarist and all around great guy. What a beautiful instrument!

Mike OMelia
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
U so lucky! Stephen is a hero of mine. It was his very enthusiasm for the harp guitar that led me into guitar building. I really appreciate the fact that he answers emails!