PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Tailstock Troubles

Perry Higgins
01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I bought a floor model Powermatic from a Woodcraft store. The tail stock was never free wheeling but not difficult to turn. In the last month I have cored out a half dozen cylinders for coffee mugs using a large Forstner bit and a Jacob's chuck in the tail stock. At this point the tail stock is so difficult to turn that it takes 2 hands to rotate the handle until the quill is extended about 3 inches and then it smooths out. I have taken it apart, cleaned everything, lubed everything. there is nothing dragging and I can't find anything binding. Any ideas for what is causing this binding or how I can pin point the cause? Thanks Perry:confused:

Joe Scarfo
01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
It's my experience that purchasing floor models or demo stock from woodcraft = same warranty as if the equipment was new in the box.

I would contact the Woodcraft store to confirm this then contact Powermatic. You have done what I would've done... disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble.

Good Luck.
Joe

Fred Perreault
01-24-2011, 6:42 AM
I don't know the Powermatic at all, but there must be a keyway slot in the quill. If the threads are not binding, and the outside of the quill is not scarred or burred up, then maybe the key sliding in the keyway is a point of binding. I imagine you have inspected carefully the threads for burrs or something that may be rolling them over. I have accidentally run the quill out of my Nova 1624 tailstock, and getting it back together and operating smoothly takes care. Also, can you tell if the quill is slightly bent, and binding in the tube? If the quill was extended during handling, and then dropped, there could be a slight deformation. If it is hard to extend, there is a simple answer, it's just that you have not discovered it yet.
Good luck, :) :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-24-2011, 6:44 AM
Your lathe comes with a five year parts replacement guarantee. Talk to Woodcraft or call PW customer support directly. I am sure they will have a good idea what to do for you.
faust

philip labre
01-24-2011, 8:35 AM
I had this happen with mine. I took apart and cleaned and lubed it. While apart I noticed a slight bur at the key way slot. The set screw had backed of and allowed the quill to twist slightly. filed off the burr and reset the screw. The screw setting was a key to free wheeling.