PDA

View Full Version : 1st Half-Blind

Brad Maudlin
01-23-2011, 9:50 PM
Three to go. They sure are time consuming!179482

Rick Erickson
01-23-2011, 9:59 PM
Nice job Brad! They are time consuming but they will go faster.

Bruce Page
01-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Beautiful! They will come much faster.

Roy Lindberry
01-24-2011, 2:11 AM
That is great! I don't know if is is my screen or not, but they look just a smidgen gappy, though if there are any gaps, the lines are so crisp they look phenomenal.

Brad Maudlin
01-24-2011, 6:43 AM
Fortunately, those are not gaps. The maple tails are lower than the cherry pins, and they have not yet been planed flush. Thanks all who have inspired me to give it a shot. You sure have a better sense of accomplishment doing it by hand than with electrons.

Andrew Gibson
01-24-2011, 9:03 AM
They look very good to me, I am guessing they are dry fit, they will look very good once glued up and planed flush... Great job on a first set.

Brian Kent
01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Great job, and encouraging since I have some of those coming up in a project. Did you follow any directions or did you already know hw to do that?

Derek Cohen
01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Three to go. They sure are time consuming!179482

Hi Brad

That is a terrific result for the first attempt. I'm sure mine weren't as good!

I don't think that I posted this pictorial here, but for those who wish to follow your lead ....

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Londonhalf-blinddovetaileddrawer.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

gary Zimmel
01-24-2011, 6:32 PM
Good work on that first 1/2 blind Brad.
And don't worry about how long it took. Mine take a while to do also.
I do them by hand for the satisfaction. If I wanted to go real fast I would buy a jig...

Rick Erickson
01-24-2011, 7:22 PM
Gary, I'm not sure I could ever go back to a power jig :-). If I had to go faster I would have to go the route of through DTs with an applied front.

Brad Maudlin
01-24-2011, 9:08 PM
Thanks all. I would sure like to see a close up of Derek's "secret weapon" flat chisel used for cutting the pins full depth. The LN Channel on U-Tube shows a scraper blade used for that purpose but the video says it is sharpened. I assume he means a bevel of some sort. It seems like that would be a real time saver.

Pam Niedermayer
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
... It seems like that would be a real time saver.

And it is. An old Tage Frid trick, but I'd bet he didn't invent it.

Pam

Derek Cohen
01-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Brad

I refer to this as a Kerf Chisel (couldn't think of a better name at the time). The idea came from Tage Frid, who I saw use a piece of bandsaw blade to the same effect.

Details are on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/KerfChisel.html

Note that the end is squared, not bevelled (as with a blade). A bevelled end will act like a wedge and split the wood along the grain. Not good. So, as one uses blunted nails, the end of the Kerf Chisel is blunted to minimise splits.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brad Maudlin
01-25-2011, 6:37 AM
Thanks Derek. Looks like I have a new tool build on the horizon.

george wilson
01-25-2011, 11:20 PM
You can do those dovetails pretty quickly with enough practice.